Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Help! Babies!?

• This topic has 9sd replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Hazel.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • MooseMouse
      Participant
      49 posts Send Private Message

Hey all so I rescued a Bunny last night that was very .. heavy and was guessing she might be preggers. I contacted my local rescue right away to see if they had any room for her but as of this moment have not heard back.

Right now as I type this she is giving birth in my closet! so Help!? what do I do for these little ones I don’t want anyone dying on my watch and now I am not sure if they can be relocated to a rescue shelter until they are older!

• Wick & Fable
        5782 posts Send Private Message

I’m sorry to hear about this sudden development. Unfortunately the nature of Binkybunny forums means we don’t have many people experienced with handling litters. Here are some resources that I hope can be helpful:

I also will mention that if you have an exotic vet (rabbit-experienced), perhaps you can call and get a consult on basics to keep in mind.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• DanaNM
          8935 posts Send Private Message

Mom will most likely do everything that needs to be done. Keep the area calm and quiet, and make sure she has lots of food (hay and some extra pellets) and plenty of water. And yes follow up with a vet and keep in touch with the rescue. Also know that bunny moms don’t nurse that many times a day, so you might not see her with the babies very much, don’t panic!

Usually rescues like to put babies in foster care anyway (rather than being in a shelter environment), so they might ask if you can stay on as a foster for her and the babies until the babies wean and they can be neutered/spayed!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• MooseMouse
            Participant

oh, these links are very helpful I just gave them a read and the only thing I need to figure out is moving them into a box with a heating blanket since she gave birth to them.. behind the box and only “pulled” fur for about 30 min before the birthing started! We have 6 Babies! I would add a photo but it says I can’t add media so maybe I will figure it out somehow lol

I am still waiting to hear back from the rescue but I suspect we will be fostering them for the next few weeks.

• DanaNM

I dont think you need a heating blanket.. I would be more worried about them overheating, but maybe a towel or regular blanket in a regular box? It’s very normal for new bunny moms (and actually all bunny moms) to make their nest very last minute.

At the rescue I volunteer at we had a surprise litter in a litter box a couple months ago… the day that mom went in to be spayed… thankfully the volunteer cleaning boxes saw them. 😯

All the babies and mom did amazingly well. Rabbits are such resilient creatures!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• MooseMouse
                Participant

Oh, that’s good to know I will just put a cozy blanket in the box and try to very gently move them into the box.

• DanaNM

Is this one of the rabbits from your neighbor? I just made the connection that you had posted about that situation.

• MooseMouse
                    Participant

Yup sure is.

So the neighbor bunny count is that this is #3 that I have rescued from getting out of the streets and they ran over 1. That makes for 4 rabbits in 2 months to escape. Although when all you get fed is bread and granola bars with no water I would want to escape as well.

The lovely ladies that helped me catch this little pregnant bunny (we call her Goomba – before we knew it was a female but it still works) actually volunteer at animal shelters and said that they will be filing a report which makes it a bit easier to speak up when you have more people to “witness”.

Speaking to the neighbors about it seems to have become a challenge since the last time I offered them Hay they now tried to avoid us.

• DanaNM

Oh wow, well she is a lucky mama to have a warm safe place and food now. Poor things 🙁  Hopefully there will be more progress in helping those bunnies.

Also Goomba is a hilarious name for a bunny.

Funny coincidence, my Myra was found by the rescue in a parking lot, sexed and named Milo. Next day she gave birth so they changed her name to Myra. The volunteer who named and sexed her said she is the only rabbit he’s ever mis-sexed !

• Hazel
                        Participant
                        2587 posts Send Private Message

I’m sorry this happened, but I sure am glad you rescued her before she gave birth. I hate to think what would have happened to the babies otherwise.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Help! Babies!?