Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Help!! After Spay Question!

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
    • xnovalentine
      Participant
      309 posts Send Private Message

Lullabelle had her spay today — i brought her home around 4. It’s around 8pm now.

Shes been moving so much since I brought her home … when i first got her home she hopped off and since then i’ve made her sit with me on the couch to make sure she didint move so much. She seemed to be dozing off some awhile ago so i took her in and put her in her cage where she started moving around a lot but i figured that if i just left her alone she would settled down and stop moving. Well i went in maybe 30 min later to check on her and she had hopped out of her cage and onto the bookshelf where I took her back into the living room to lay with me on the couch.

I moved her again so i could get a towel for her to lay on and she peed on the couch (which is fine) when i noticed there was blood in the urine.

I picked her up and looked and she is bleeding a bit from her incison. I’m not sure what to do – the vet is closed and its not bleeding terribly. I put some toilet paper her her to maybe help a bit — i dont have any guaze around and i’m afraid to leave her to get some sterilization things.

Other than moving around and the bleeding shes okay. Shes wide awake and alert – she drank some water but I havnt seen her try to eat anything which i assumed would be the case.

I’m not sure whether or not to give her more medication — she doesnt look in pain she just wants to hop around like she normally does. I’m also afraid since shes already had some at the doctor that it would be too much. The directions said once every 24 hours.

Does anyone have any idea what i should do? Obviously the vet is closed now so I cant take her in, there is an animal hospital but Im not sure they even treat rabbits I could call and check it out. I also dont want to move her back into her carrier if this is normal.

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

wow.  i’m not sure about that.  if i were you i would leave her shut in her cage for another day at least.  she may not want to, but she does need to get her rest.  the bleeding may be from her moving around too much.

• xnovalentine
          Participant

heres a pic of the incison – its really not that good but i didint want to make her sit up to get a better one. the darker red areas is where the blood is comming from.

awe her bunny feet are so cute lol

• babybunsmum
            Participant
            3896 posts Send Private Message

it’s been a few hours since you posted last… has she stopped bleeding?  you mentioned it wasn’t bleeding a lot and so, like beka, i think it may be from moving around too much.  it would be best to put her in her cage on a blanket & close it so she can’t get out even if she wants to.  do you have an emergency vet number you can call n your area?  there’s one here that i’ve called in the wee hours & they were great about answering questions like this.  either way, i’d definitely call your vet first thing & ask advice just to be sure.  they’ll be able to tell you what to look for to determine if she needs to go in.

• Lisa_43
              Participant
              1499 posts Send Private Message

I think the same thing, I am no expert on rabbits but with all animals after surgery you should keep them in a quiet and confined area.

• Gravehearted
                Participant
                2428 posts Send Private Message

I am very surprised that your vet didn’t send you home with specific aftercare instructions.

she should be kept confined and quiet, it is best if she is on cage rest for several days after the surgery. Is there a way to block up her pen so she can’t get out and hurt herself? She sounds like she could do some serious damage to herself. Try not to lift or handle her except to check sutures or provide necessary care as instructed by your vet. The most crucial thing is if she’s eating ok.

I would call your vet since the incision is open and you want to ensure to prevent infection.

• BinkyBunny
                  8776 posts Send Private Message

I’m sorry I am late here. You have already received the best advice. I would call your vet first thing in the morning unless it hasn’t stopped bleeding. Big dittos on keeping her quiet and less active over the next few days. Make sure she is at least nibbling on something in the morning.

Please keep us updated. :0

• Martie
                    Participant
                    82 posts Send Private Message

How is she today? I’ve never been through a rabbit spay, but I’ve been through a ton of cat spays and I think cage rest is the best for her, I hope she’ll settle down for you in her cage. Good luck.

• Sarita
                      Participant
                      18851 posts Send Private Message

Keep her confined for the next 3 days at least – I usually say a full week for limited activity since the spay is so invasive. She should not be bleeding – call the vet on this. I would wait until this morning to give her the pain meds too. Other than the bleeding she sounds about like a rabbit who has just had a spay should act.

Keep us updated.

• Beka27
                        Participant

i know it’s hard to keep them confined when you really want to comfort them.  but she’ll do much better in her own space.  i think the vet told me several days of cage rest but Meadow was able to be out for a short time after a few days.  she was still doing very limited activity for the rest of the week (she was spayed on a monday).  i love comparing bunnies to kids so here goes…  just because they want something or they want to do something, doesn’t mean it’s the best thing for them.  it’s the parent’s responsiblility to set the boundaries.  i know you’re doing such a great job with Lullabelle and when this is all over she will thank you by being a wonderful furry friend for years to come.

did you call the vet yet this morning?  how’s she looking?

• xnovalentine
                          Participant

I called the emergency animal hospital last night after i posted it — they said that it didint sound like she broke any stitches and that she was just moving around too much and like you guys said, leave her be and check her in the morning. So I locked her in her cage but she kept moving around so i took everything but her food, water, and her bed out. I checked her this morning and there was no bleeding and she was eating parsley. I called the vet and they just said to keep an eye on her and if it begins to bleed heavily call back.

Thankyou everyone to your responses — I’m sure shes going to do just fine!

• osprey
                            Participant
                            2065 posts Send Private Message

Excellent news!  Parsley is a really good first food.  I’ve noticed that if a bun is not so crazy about the idea of eating, you can snap the stem so that the fragrance and juices come out, and then push the stem gently into the buns mouth.  They can’t help but start to chew, and that seems to get them going.

• babybunsmum
                              Participant

oh thats a relief!  i’m glad you called last night to put your mind at ease.  nice job bunny mom

• Gravehearted
                                Participant
                                2428 posts Send Private Message

I’m glad to hear she is doing ok and you were able to find a way to keep her a bit more calm. I’m VERY happy to hear she’s eating too.

• MooBunnay
                                  Participant
                                  3087 posts Send Private Message

yay I’m glad to hear she’s doing OK – and what a Trooper to be eating Parsley already – give her a bunny high five from all my buns!

• Beka27
                                    Participant

oh good.  she’s doing better!  how is she taking her meds?  Meadow hated the meds.  it took two of us to do it.

• xnovalentine
                                      Participant

she doesnt like the meds — it was struggle but she finally took them down. but thankfully all it took was me, which is all we had at the moment! i kept reminding her i was only making her do it because i loved her. man does that stuff STINK! lol but some other good news — shes been eating her hay! I put in a huge pile last night and it was nearly gone this morning, i’ve been having such a hard time getting her to eat hay which is making her have stinky butt. yay for hay

• babybunsmum
                                        Participant

great news!  yay lulla

• osprey
                                          Participant
                                          2065 posts Send Private Message

Do you know which meds she is getting?  Is it Metacam (meloxicam)?  The vets around here usually give us Metacam post spay, and yes it does have a strange smell.  Does not bother me too much though.

• Beka27
                                            Participant
                                              Posted By osprey on 12/21/2007 9:47 AM

Do you know which meds she is getting?  Is it Metacam (meloxicam)?  The vets around here usually give us Metacam post spay, and yes it does have a strange smell.  Does not bother me too much though.

that might have been what Meadow had.  my vet tech friend spent the day with me when Meadow was spayed and she described the meds as smelling like "ferret urine".  it is a funky smell.

• xnovalentine
                                              Participant

it is metacam. i believe its bactieria based, but its been awhile since i took a pharmacology class that i’m really not sure. But if it is bacteria based thats why it has a funky smell in its liquid form. If its not bacteria based, well it still stinks lol!! thanks everyone for the kind wishes! Happy Holidays to you all!

• BinkyBunny
                                                8776 posts Send Private Message

Yep, metacam is smelly (blech)

Viewing 21 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Help!! After Spay Question!