Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A help!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • mlee24
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

My bunny is just  a few months old and after a couple weeks got really good with being litter bin trained….but NOW….he goes poop in his bin still but pee’s in the corner across from it……….. i dont know what happened!!! But its getting to a point where its just absolutely rediculous…can anyone please give me suggestions on what i could do??

My husband is so close to making me get rid of him…he stinks up the whole house!!

• MooBunnay
        Participant
        3087 posts Send Private Message

Hello Mlee24 – welcome to BinkyBunny!

Is your bunny neutered? At a few months old a bunny is going through their “puberty” stage where they want to start marking different areas, and he may even start putting “territorial poops” around the house. The first thing I would recommend is getting your bunny an appointment with a rabbit savvy vet and getting him neutered. Try the House Rabbit Society website (www.rabbit.org) for a list of rabbit savvy vets. It is very very common for boys to start doing this at this age, but once they are neutered and have had some time for their hormones to calm down, for the most part they will go right back to litterbox using.

In the meantime – do you have an effective litter? Pine shavings, or cat litter are not so good for rabbits and sometimes not so good at odor control. Some people on this site really like Aspen Supreme pellets, or Yesterday’s News.

Do you have a good method for cleaning the pee up? White vinegar is very effective at getting the pee stain and smell out of carpet, so keep a spray bottle of that on hand for spot cleaning to help get rid of the smell.

• Beka27
          Participant
          16016 posts Send Private Message

i’m concerned that your husband is wanting to “get rid” of him.  rabbits are not a cheap, low-maintenance pet.  they require vet care and a specialized diet of fresh veggies and hay every day.  i’m not sure how much thought was put into your decision to get a rabbit, but i’m very happy you’ve found this site.  we can answer questions for you and help in many different area of rabbit care.

first off, rabbits really shouldn’t have an odor to them if you’re cleaning the litterbox and cage frequently enough.  what kind of litter do you use and how often are you cleaning the cage?

you may want to try putting a layer of hay in the litterbox.  rabbits like to munch while they potty, weird as it may sound.  just be sure to replace the hay everyday as it may get soiled.

if he pees in another spot, make sure to clean it up as soon as possible and try putting the wet paper towel in the litterbox so he can associate the smell.

check out the bunny info > litterbox training section at the top of this page.  that gives more tips and suggestions.

the most important thing will be getting him neutered.  at his age, he might be old enough.  you may want to start looking for a rabbit vet now.  puberty sets in at about 4-7 months depending on the rabbit, and he will most likely become very territorial and aggressive at that time.  you will notice an increase as well in him marking with urine.  neutering will help with those behavioral issues, litter habits in most cases, and increase the likelihood that he will live a longer, healthier life.

• Scarlet_Rose
            Participant
            4293 posts Send Private Message

mlee24 I have to agree with what has been suggested. Have your bun fixed as it sounds like hormones are kicking in. Place another litterbox in the place where he pees. White vinegar works well and I’ve been please with the Nature’s Miracle with Oxy Clean & Orange in it. Plus the orange scent deters my furbutts.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A help!