Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE WELCOME ! Hello

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • MaureenD
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

Hello everyone,

My name is Maureen and on Friday I was able to catch a little white bunny that had been hopping around in my backyard for over a week.  (We think someone just dropped her off, because we live next to a farm and the farm isn’t missing her)  We’ve named her Bella. 

But she has a bad eye injury.  I took her to the emergency vet and they put her on antibiotic eye drops and oral and gave her a pain/anti-inflammatory.  She is going to see the ophthalmologist this morning.  But I’m so worried if she needs to lose her eye.   I’m most concerned about the anesthesia.  Grant it, it’s been years since I’ve had a bunny, but I thought that they don’t handle stress and being under very well.  Although I have to say Ms. Bella must be a strong bunny to live on her own outside, being all white and with a bad eye.  She’s such a snuggle bug and we are absolutely in love with her less than 3 days after finding her!   

I guess I’m just hoping for some encouragement from other bunny owners who have had bunnies have surgery and came out OK.  Thank you for letting me join the forum and I look forward to updating you with all the cutest little bunny stories about Bella in the future!

Have a great day!

Maureen

• jerseygirl
        22345 posts Send Private Message

Hi Maureen

It was very good of you to get her seen. I hope your quick action results in her eye healing well.
          If she does need surgery, you could ask vets if having some bloodwork down beforehand is worthwhile. It could help tell how she’ll do with the anaesthetic, especially if her age is unknown.
          The main thing with rabbits prior to surgery is not to fast them. Sometimes an unimformed nurse or receptionist gives rabbit owners the standard pre-surgery info for cats and dogs, but it is different for rabbits.

• Gordo and Janice
          Participant
          703 posts Send Private Message

Congratulations on catching and saving Bella! They are tough and resilient in some ways and yet so fragile in so many ways. And they do draw you into loving them so deeply so quickly. Someone called them “magical”.

Here’s hoping everything works out perfectly and you have many many years of cute little bunny stories with Bella. Welcome to you guys.

• MaureenD
            Participant
            2 posts Send Private Message

Good news! The ophthalmologist thinks that although she does not have sight in the eye, but he’s hopefully that if we continue on the antibiotics that it will heal enough to not bother her. He prefers to not do surgery if at all possible. He put my mind at ease because he said he had been calling around and consulting with others regarding rabbits ahead of the appointment today. He gave me a lot of information he learned. So he’s just as cautious as I am! I’ll try to get pictures of Bella as soon as she’s healed and her fur grows back a little better, but she’s a beauty and I totally agree, magical as I have fallen head over heals in love with her!

• Gordo and Janice
              Participant
              703 posts Send Private Message

That is good news! Glad to hear it MaureenD.

• Kim
                Participant
                12 posts Send Private Message

Hi Maureen, i am so glad you found this bunny . Its beautiful. I have a simalr situation. I adopted a Angora Mix rabbit from our local shelter and he came from a abuised home and had a ulcer is his eye. he had to have surgery and he came out just fine, there is some scarring but the vet said that he will be ok. I am glad to hear that your bunn will be ok as well. Ik its so scary when youbecome attached to an animal and they are sick or hurt it is like one of your kids but all is well . The only this I have to do is once in awhile there is just a little drainage and I need to wipe his eye with a damp paper towel but they said that is normal. good luck with your new little friend. Glad to meet you Kim

• Vienna Blue in France
                  Participant
                  5317 posts Send Private Message

Welcome to you Maureen and what a lucky bunny.
                    Fingers crossed everything heals without surgery and you live a long and happy life together.
                    How exciting, how life can throw magical curveballs sometimes !!

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE WELCOME ! Hello