Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Healthy Veg Treats.. any tips?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • Marshmellow
      Participant
      8 posts Send Private Message

I bought my bunny some treats from the store but I read you shouldn’t really use those because they have a lot of sugar and stuff in them. What kind of vegetables does anyone use that you see that you rabbit really likes?

• Gravehearted
        Participant
        2428 posts Send Private Message

I mostly use fruit as treats or oxbow’s papaya tablets. I’ll give a raisin or a thin slice of banana. There are also some freeze dried non-sugared fruits like banana slices or strawberry slices that are a good treat for bunnies. I know some people use herbs as a treat, or a small piece of carrot.

I use herbs like dill, parsley, cilantro and basil as part of their regular veggies though.

With any treats, it’s really best to offer them very sparingly, since too much sweet can really mess with a bunny’s delicate GI system

• Lisa_43
          Participant
          1499 posts Send Private Message

Ebony  treats are banana, apples, blueberries, pears, oranges and peaches.

• Beka27
            Participant
            16016 posts Send Private Message

everyone’s rabbits are different also… if you go to the bunny info section at the top of the page and click on diet, there is some excellent info as well as links to lists of good and bad veggies.  there are many of them, so i’ll let you in on a little secret… i print out a list of good and bad veggies and keep it in my purse. that way if i’m at the store and i want to try something new, i don’t need to try and remember if it’s okay or not, i just pull out my list. 

• MooBunnay
              Participant
              3087 posts Send Private Message

My bunny’s absolute favorite – which is also healthy for them – is cilantro. I feed it to them as their daily greens from time to time and they go crazy and pick up one piece at a time and binky away with it to eat it away from the other buns so no one steals theirs If your bunny is switching from the store sugary treats to normal healthy treats, it may take them a bit of time (and a bit of experiementing) to figure out what your bunny likes best. Any fruits or carrots should be fed only a teeeeny piece at a time and usually only one per day. My bunnies are BIG fans of raisins (only one perday max. with those as well) – and some like banana, some like blueberries, and some like grapes – it depends on the bunny! Going from pet store treats to normal healthy bunny treats is a PLUS for everyone – its more inexpensive for you and better for your bunny!

• osprey
                Participant
                2065 posts Send Private Message

As others have said, bunnies have different tastes.  Mine really like strong flavored herbs as a treat, so we give them various kinds of mint, sage, fresh oregano, fresh basil and lemon balm as treats.  They also like certain of the expensive fru fru lettuces like frisee and radicchio, so they get these as treats sometimes too.

• Martie
                  Participant
                  82 posts Send Private Message

I got a food dehydrator from freecycle.org and dried some papaya, banana, apple, and mango. So no extra sugar, and so far MoSimba has tried the papaya and the mango and he approves

• JK
                    Participant
                    2223 posts Send Private Message

Well Edson is a pig and will literally eat anything!  The vet recommended organic baby greens and Italian parsley.  I give him that and also some crunchier romaine & mint.  The vet told me to stay away from the broccoli family due to the high calcium content because Edson had a high calcium reading in his urine.  For a bedtime treat it’s usually a tiny slice of apple or a slice of carrot. I just give him a wee bit because of the sugar content and he just goes crazy for more! Just check out the link above under Bunny Info and click on Diet and you can see what’s recommended and safe for the buns.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                      Participant
                      12067 posts Send Private Message

For some reason my bunnies didn’t get excited for food for a very long time. I think their diet was too varied with too much nice food…They didn’t turn their noses up at stuff but they wouldn’t get excited about it…Finally they’ve decided raisins are a treat…I have to give them in a limited amount as raisins have as much sugar as grapes

• Marshmellow
                        Participant
                        8 posts Send Private Message

Thanks everyone… when I go to the grocery I will get Marshmellow some thing and see what he likes… he is so aborable. I would attach a pic but they are too big to put one on here.. I do have one of him on my profile though,.. I will let you all know what he likes..

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Healthy Veg Treats.. any tips?