Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Head twitch

• This topic has 3sd replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Kiki.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Thumper
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

Woke up this morning and noticed our rabbit had developed a head twitch. When he’s hopping around, cleaning himself, stressed, nervous or we have him in our lap it doesn’t happen.

Took him to an animal emergency and the “vet” on duty didn’t know much about rabbits and had to speak with the exotic animal vet about his symptoms and even took a video of his twitching and sent it to her. They couldn’t come up with anything without doing more testing, blood work and X-rays, for an extra $1000.00

Thumper is currently 5 yrs old and has never had any problems before, even after eating carpet and electrical wire. He doesn’t scratch his ears but does shake his head more often then before, but not all the time

• jerseygirl
        22345 posts Send Private Message

Sorry you didn’t have much success at the e-vet. Did they prescribe any treatment at all or just further tests?

Its possible its an  ear infection or parasites of some kind, both which can cause some neurological symptoms. Re inner ear infections: you’d normally see some loss of balance or even head-tilt with this. So the fact that he doesn’t have the twitch when moving around,  grooming etc is interesting. It could be when he puts his head in a certain position that triggers it though. 

Are you able to provide a link to share the video here?

• Bunny House
          Participant
          1241 posts Send Private Message

I do want to add, my lop had middle ear infection in both ears and each canal were filled with pus and she never showed any signs of pain or anything indicating an ear infection, she just ate less, but maybe she was lucky she didn’t develop symptoms. I would agree that maybe it’s some mites or something itching within the ear causing the shaking.

• Kiki
            Participant
            205 posts Send Private Message

I know this is a weird one, and a lot less scary but my cat had a similar thing where she was shaking or twitching her head a lot and the vet told me it could be a loose piece of fur in there irritating the canal.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Head twitch