Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A head tilt?!

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
    • WoWo
      Participant
      24 posts Send Private Message

Is there such thing as a minor head tilt??  I once saw her groom herself and looks like her almost tipped over before regaining balance. there is this other time when she was doing a long jump from the floor pillow to the actual floor, looks like she was binkying but then she loses balance and doesnt quite land the way she used to. When is she laying on the ground, it kind of looks like her head is tilted to the right a little bit (very little). So is there such thing as a minor head tilt? I’ve done some online research about ear infections or parasites that may cause head tilt. I am very worried but i wont be able to bring her to the vet until friday. Here is the link to the pictures i took… 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43550957@N02/

Over the weekend, i think she also lost her appetite. she was eating but eating less. her poops were getting smaller but on sunday, she was all happy again and eating everything up. Maybe it is one of her legs is hurting so she didn’t feel like eating and just arent as stable? I have no idea. 

any input is greatly appreciated. 

• RabbitPam
        11002 posts Send Private Message

I think it’s possible to catch head tilt early before there is the extreme onset, and it looks like that is what’s happening. I am not certain however.
          What I am certain about is that you are doing the right thing taking her to the vet as soon as possible. If you could get her there before Friday that would be good, but if not, call the vet, explain your concern, and ask if she needs you to bring any samples of poo or pee or anything else. That could save time for her in doing the necessary tests. Write down (or print out) what you said here so you don’t forget to mention the eating etc. symptoms over the weekend. Bring it with you. The whole picture should help the vet treat her.

{{{{{{{{{{healing vibes}}}}}}}}}}

• jerseygirl
          22345 posts Send Private Message

She certainly seems to be holding it to the side. Maybe an ear infection? That would affect her balance.  As Pam said, if it is beginning stages of head tilt, best to catch it early. She’s a beauty, by the way!

• Sarita
            Participant
            18851 posts Send Private Message

I had a rabbit with very minor head tilt – honestly unless you were observant as you are you would not think there was a tilt there – I could tell though that her eyes were not right. So head tilt can be very minor and can stay that way – you also want to look for things such as nystagmus (involuntary eye movement). Since there are many causes for head tilt the symptoms may be different for each rabbit. It is better to take her to the vet just to be safe.

• WoWo
              Participant

All,

Thanks for your input! I will call the vet today and try to get as much info out of her as possible. Does anyone know what causes an ear infection?

I totally should have brought her to te vet on Monday – had Columbus day off. She was all happy and everything the night before, I thought she was just going through some mood swings because of puberty. I hope she is ok! Sigh.

Being a Mom is not easy!

• Sarita
                Participant
                18851 posts Send Private Message

Here’s a good article on head tilt:

http://www.rabbit.org/health/tilt.html

I agree, being a Mom is not eas y

• Beka27
                  Participant
                  16016 posts Send Private Message

With head tilt, it’s very good that you’re catching it early! I’ve seen some buns where their little head is completely turned to the side before treatment is sought….

Here is an informative article, from rabbit expert Dana Krempels, about Head Tilt… http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/tilt.html

Keep us posted on what the vet says!

• Desma
                    Participant
                    182 posts Send Private Message

I don’t know about head tilt but she sure is a beatiful Bunny. It seems like she knows and likes the camera

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                      Participant
                      12067 posts Send Private Message

Keep us posted!!

• WoWo
                        Participant

So we went to the vet yesterday. The vets that I wanted to go to were all booked for the weekend so I had to find a new one. I was testing the vet out by saying its just a normal exam. After she was done, she said WoWo is very healthy and active. WoWo was definitely having a blast exploring the vet exam room; hopping everywhere! at the end of the exam, i told the vet that she looks like she has a slight head tilt. although I read many websites regarding head tilt and know what may cause it, i kept questioning the vet. She agreed with me that her head looks slightly tilted but went on and said that it is very very minor and WoWo appears to be super healthy and active and told me that i shouldnt worry about it. Then I asked her about what causes ear infections and got her to take a look at WoWo’s ears. she said everything looks fine from what she can see, maybe except the inside of one ear looks a little pink. She just told me to observe her and look out for ear pus. She kept saying that since WoWo is so active and jumpy, it would be hard to get blood from her for testing and to look further down her ear. The vet was nice but i felt that she was scared to handle WoWo since shes an active lil bun.

So according to the vet I went to, WoWo is healthy and should go back if her head tilt is getting worse, if she’s not eating and pooping, or if her ears show signs of infection. she did recommend that all bunnies should do a fecal exam every year. So i will probably bring some poop in for her to test to see if she has any parasites.

I will probably go see Dr. Harvey next time. Too bad she was all booked up for the weekend!

• jerseygirl
                          22345 posts Send Private Message

Is that Dr Carolynn Harvey(CA) you had wanted to see? Because from reports, she is a really good rabbit vet. If it were me……I would just take sample into her clinic instead. Or do fecal test at later point if it not relevant to your rabbits current situation and just see Dr Harvey now regarding the tilt- or when you feel the situation is worsening.

• RabbitPam
                            11002 posts Send Private Message

I agree – from what I’ve heard about Dr. Harvey from members here, it would be worth it to just book an appointment ahead and do a follow up, even if the bunny seems OK. What I don’t like is the vet’s unwillingness to take a blood sample. Most vets and technicians know how to do a firm but gentle press on the shoulders to get them still, then take the blood. It doesn’t inspire confidence in me to hear her say that. Sorry if it turns out to be an added expense for you.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                              Participant
                              12067 posts Send Private Message

Ah-if it’s dr. Carolyn Harvey-you are one lucky duck to see her Well, I agree-either take in a sample or take her in-but further testing-at LEAST so you feel better, is a good idea. As well, with head tilt catching it early is a good good idea

• WoWo
                                Participant

Yeah Dr. Carolyn Harvey. She is about 30 min drive away from me. I live in SF and her office is in Hayward. I wanted to make an appointment with her this past weekend but she was all booked up. I went to VCA bay area pet hospital. I believe Dr. Harvey actually used to work there before she move to Hayward. Anyways, I think I am going to wait another week. I need to observe WoWo some more. She hasn’t lost her balance for the last two days. Not that I’ve seen.

I think I will be more comfortable with Dr. Harvey so I will probably make an appointment to see her maybe next weekend.

Thanks for everyone’s input! WoWo is super active. almost too active these days. Still super young. She is going to get spayed next Friday too! I hope everything will be OK! Thanks again!

• minilop22
                                  Participant
                                  5 posts Send Private Message

• BinkyBunny
                                    8776 posts Send Private Message

Dr. Harvey is a great vet – she’s my main vet. She is the one that treated Bailey’s e.cuniculi symptoms (Bailey did not have head-tilt, but she had hind-leg weakness) And you are right Dr. Harvey used to work at the VCA in Oakland. VCA is great because they are open 7 days a week and open I think until late most days. If Dr. Harvey is not available, and it’s urgent. I go to VCA to see Dr. Arntz  - she is very good and I used to also see Dr. Bynam as backup, but I haven’t seen her in awhile and I don’t know if she is still there.

So when you say she is going to get spayed, is she getting spayed with Dr. Harvey? I know that if they think a bunny is fighting an infection or some illness they may want to do blood work before a spay as some illnesses can make it riskier with anesthesia and vets need to be aware of what’s going on before they put the bunny under. So you may want to make sure the vet knows of any current problems going on.

• WoWo
                                      Participant

I went to see Dr. Bynam on Saturday. Before I left her office, I asked her whether or not WoWo should keep her spaying appointment and she said it would be fine. She thought it was great that i am gettig her spayed. I have work so I won’t be able to bring wowo for a checkup with dr. Harvey before her spaying appointment at oakland SPCA. I will shoot dr Harvey an email and see what she thinks. Thanks!

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A head tilt?!