Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Head Shaking

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • ddunn24
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

Hi Everyone!

So my Netherland Dwarf recently started to shake her ears/head. I know that those are usually signs of ear mites or an ear infection, but I can’t see any of those symptoms in her ears other than the shaking. It started a few days ago, when I noticed that she was shaking her head a lot more often, and would occasionally stop to itch the base of her ear. However, as of recently she doesn’t even bother to itch, she just shakes a bit and continues on. The shaking isn’t very consistent, when she’s really focused on eating she won’t do it, but sometimes when she’s wandering around it’ll suddenly bother her. Sometimes she’ll keep the ear more lower than the other, because I think I’ve noticed that when she raises it back up, she’ll start shaking again. However, it’s not always like that, as she sometimes has no problem with keeping both ears up.

I carefully took a look at her ear, there was no crust or mucus, it looks clean like it always does. Other than that, her eating and socializing behavior hasn’t changed at all. I don’t have any other rabbits/pets in my house either. Could there be something else inside her ear?

• Wick & Fable
        5781 posts Send Private Message

Is she shedding right now? Sometimes pieces of fur end up down there, and since they’re so fine, it’s hard to see them and takes a while for a rabbit to get it out. Also, is it possible they are half-binkys? It’s a small gesture of happiness or general energy.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• ddunn24
          Participant
          2 posts Send Private Message

Thank you for the quick reply!

So I did notice that she was shedding some very loose fur right behind her ears, kind of her neck area. I suppose that maybe that could be it, but is it normal to just end up in only one ear? I think I forgot to mention this, but it’s specifically only one of her ears while the other one is doing just fine. I even tested her by giving her some ear pets, which she has enjoyed in the past, and she showed no differing reactions between either ears.

Also, I did consider them being half-binkys but I’m pretty positive its not that, considering she only really half-binkys when she gets caught doing something she shouldn’t be. The shaking happens very inconsistently, she could do it a few times in an hour, and then go one hour without doing it. The shaking is like a three second shake back and forth, like she’s really trying to shake something out of her ear. When she does itch it, which is less frequent than the shaking, she focuses more on the base of her ear rather than the upper part.

If it is fur, should I just wait for her to figure it out herself?

• Wick & Fable
            5781 posts Send Private Message

If it’s fur, you can probably just wait it out. And yeah, it could definitely just happen in one ear. If you have been good in checking the ear area and see nothing unusual, fur tickling would be my bet. If it is something more inside the ear, such as an infection, I imagine you’ll be able to see something, or her behavior would reflect it, like head tilting or decreases in health behaviors. like eating and pooping.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Head Shaking