Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Hay Substitutes? (Ran out of hay)

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • TincanOwl
      Participant
      22 posts Send Private Message

Hi! I have a hay crisis, basically all hay has been out in every store in my town, absolutely ridiculous! I’ve ordered some online but it may be a couple more days until I can get it and last bag of crappy hay I could find while every place was running out turnt out to be half dust and did not last as long as I’d have hoped. I live nowhere near a farm, have no car to go to one and taxis cost a an arm and a leg here. Absolutely fuming at this situation, I mean it’s just unacceptable for the only food small pets NEED to be out. Dog and cat isles have 50+ products and I can’t even get hay at a grocery store?? Uuurgh

Anyway, I’m trying to make due with what’s already in their litterboxes but I’m worried it may not be enough for the next day or two:/ Any advice on how to keep them well fed until then? My current strategy is stacking up on greens an feeding that a bit more often, is that a good idea?

• Bam
        16869 posts Send Private Message

This is difficult! I think they will be fine for a few days if they get pellets and greens, esp if they have some little bit of hay in their boxes. Greens are comparatively low in fiber, but they do provide hydration, which is also super important for tummy function.

I think its a good idea to give them greens more often now! I’d also divide their daily pellets up into several smaller servings and give them throughout the day. The rabbit GI tract is “designed” to get smallish amounts of food often and. I’d not give carrots or fruit or anything else that’s sugary these next few days, because their tums will be a bit vulnerable now until they get hay again.

If there’s still som hay in their litterboxes, maybe you could take a few pinches of it and put in tiny piles here and there around their area, to encourage them to eat it? “Found” hay is often more attractive to buns than served hay. (Yo obv want them to eat as much as possible of the little hay you have).

If you can get fresh pesticide free grass you could give a little bit of that, but this time of year fresh grass is v rich and full of simple carbs, so it’d have to be just a little bit. It’s not really a great option unless of course they’re very used to getting fresh grass.

Twigs like apple (pesticide free) or willow would be really great in this situation though, but might not be easy to source if you’re in a city.

• TincanOwl
            Participant
            22 posts Send Private Message

Thank you so much for the advice! This is super helpful and I really appreciate it!

• DanaNM
            8928 posts Send Private Message

So frustrating! I think it would also be OK to give them more pellets than normal. Hopefully you can get some soon!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Hay Substitutes? (Ran out of hay)