Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Hay shortage!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • JoBunny123
      Participant
      30 posts Send Private Message

There’s been a hay shortage where I live in Sweden for about a month now and it’s not likely to get better any time soon. I’ve even heard that people round here are having to give their horses away cos they don’t have hay to feed them!
        It was such an ordeal finding hay in the first place! I finally found Burgess long stem feeding hay and thought the stress was over, but now it’s pretty much sold out in the whole country.
        We tried out loads but I’m allergic to 2 of the local hays (and think I found mites in one of them, which is a story I do NOT want to get into). And at the moment they’re really brown and dusty anyway. I’ve had to resort to supermarket hay and it’s making my bunny sneeze from the dust.
        He has some hay cookies and a little meadow and alfalfa wreath but I’m dreaming of some nice quality Timothy hay! In a week or so hopefully I will have 10kg of hay from England! Fingers crossed it doesn’t get lost in the ever so reliable Swedish post.

Anyway, sorry about the rant. I’d love to hear about your experience with hay. I can’t be the only one going completely mad over it!!

Just a warning for anyone that travels – if you take 1kg of hay cookies in an unmarked bag in your hand luggage, they will check your bag VERY thoroughly! ?

• sarahthegemini
        Participant
        5584 posts Send Private Message

What a nightmare! Do you have any fresh grass free of pesticides around you? If so, maybe you could cut some and dry it out im case this happens again?

• Bam
          16872 posts Send Private Message

I am in Sweden, and yes, the hay situation is not ideal. Im lucky because I can get hay from a horse owner who grows his own hay. The other week I did see some good looking Norwegian hay at
            Granngarden though. I didn’t ask about the price because I had just got a fresh sack of horse hay.

I don’t think the hay crisis is an immediate threat for horse owners though, quite a bit of hay was imported from Poland (in giant bales, so not suitable for bun owners). The late hay-silage harvest seems to have been pretty good at least in southern Sweden, and I’ve read about bun owners that have been giving their buns (thouroghly) dried-out hay silage as a hay substitute this winter.

When I almost had a hay crisis in August 2018 I found a farmer that sold small bales on Blocket.

I bought hay and other rabbit food from the UK when I had a bun that was one of the worlds pickiest hay eaters. One time it got delayed because it got stuck in some sort of routine customs-check, but all other times my UK orders have arrived in a timely manner. The UK has the best bunny supplies!

• JoBunny123
            Participant
            30 posts Send Private Message

There are wild rabbits everywhere round here so I wouldn’t really want to risk it with the fresh grass. Also sounds too complicated for me :p but nice idea anyway 

I’ve never heard of Granngården but just checked and looks like I walked past there yesterday without knowing! Will go and check it out. Also good to know about the hay-silage.

I agree, the UK has the best bunny stuff, and it’s so much cheaper. Which site do you order from?

• Jen
              Participant
              34 posts Send Private Message

I get my Timothy hay from Lissma which I buy at Arken Zoo or Teddytassen.se
                My netherland dwarf LOVES it and it’s not too expensive

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Hay shortage!