Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Hay Bales-Again! (PLEASE don’t shoot the messenger!)

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • MimzMum
      Participant
      8029 posts Send Private Message

I am so sorry to have to bring this up again, really! But today, as I am getting 1/4 of the way down my next wheat bale, this is what I find. At first I thought it was dirt, then I realized there was a bunch of these twisted sticks in the hay! I went through what I’d just given the bunnies to make sure they didn’t have any..and honestly I’m not sure it would harm them, since it looks like roots and they chew roots naturally…but it really distressed me.

Binky, I think we need to speak about greater quality control with the person who is selling you the wheat hay. I know it was a new item this spring, and I’m sure this is all some big mistake, what with the staples too and all…but I’m worried what I’m going to find in the hay next! I am almost afraid to feed my buns any more of it.

Please advise. What should I do with the rest of the hay I just bought from the Binky Store this May? Should I toss the rest? Or is it okay to keep feeding it? For me, shipping it here is pricey, I’d hate to have to dump the investment, but I will if you think it’s the thing to do.

I was going to order more oat hay this month upcoming and some willow canes. I am concerned about ordering the oat, but you are the only person I know who offers it. The buns really like it too. I’m hoping we won’t have the same problems with those bales.

153046013471.jpg

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Obviously I cannot speak for BB but you are going to find things in hay like this sometimes no matter where it comes from. I’ve found dead bugs and such (not in BB hay) but in other hay I’ve purchased since it’s grown and harvested outside. I do think I’ve found twig type stuff too.

• MimzMum
          Participant

Ahhh…okay. (phew!) So you think it’s okay to continue feeding them the hay? That’s a relief! I was worried it might hurt them if something odd was in there.
            Good thing too, because they really love the ‘wheat fuzzies’ and I listen to them cracking the seeds all night. ^_^ It’s their favorite part of it.

I still think I’ll toss these…whatever they are, just to be safe.

• BinkyBunny
            8776 posts Send Private Message

It’s true that that twigs and branches and such can sometimes be stuck in the hay, and I have experienced it in other brands, but this is the first I have seen in these bales. My own bunnies also have this hay. I am actually getting more hay tomorrow, and I will show them these pictures. This is not something that is harmful, but it’s not aesthetically appealing and I don’t want it to be in there either.  So, thanks for letting me know!

The hay itself, is very good quality, but I would like to know if you find anymore twigs in the rest. Please let me know.

EDITED TO ADD:   They hay comes from the Nevada/California border and so it is higher up in the mountainess areas rather than flat farm land. The people I get the hay from are also sticklers with its quality and are very open and want to know if there are problems, and are quick to make things right.  They care very much, so they will be interested in these comments.  I will also discuss a different labeling process.  If they can’t change that part due to how much they have to move these bales around and need something secured, then I’ll make new labels myself.

• Deleted User
              Participant
              22064 posts Send Private Message

BinkyB, your care and quality control are greatly appreciated. My friends think I am insane for ordering hay by mail when I can go to Target down the block for hay…but I would not have it any other way.

I have worked in mail order and customer service for years and can say you guys are the best.

• Beka27
                Participant
                16016 posts Send Private Message

i have been giving Mead the Oat hay BB sent as the surprise gift last time i ordered and she loves it. i’ve been given her pieces by hand b/c she thinks it’s a treat and it’s so cute to watch her yank it from me. i think it’s always a good idea to take a good look at your hay as you feed it.

• JK
                  Participant
                  2223 posts Send Private Message

I have to also say that Binky’s hay is by far the best around.  I just get the timothy hay and have NEVER found anything in it.  I would totally freak out if I did.  That’s why I order from her because I know the quality is great and it is stored inside a facility to keep rodents etc out and it’s pesticide free. And boy if there is any question at all she is so quick to make things right. It is more expensive but I totally think it’s worth it.  I could get a huge garbage bag from the rescue for $5 but I’m sure there could be critters in there! I think you just had a freak occurence.

• BinkyBunny
                    8776 posts Send Private Message

Okay, just wanted to give an update on this. I just got back from the supplier. This has turned out to be really educational in regards to Oat and Wheat. This is what I found out:

Grain hays grow large roots, unlike grass hays. When the cutter goes to cut the hay, if the root is especially large and tough the blade may pull up the root instead of cutting it. This is not that common, but if that happens the root is not harmful.

The root gets buried in the big bales. Now usually, with the smaller bales that I sell, the suppliers actually have to go through the hay a bit more closely because they have to feed it in the baler by hand, so they can usually catch anything a bit off. However, with the courser texture hays like wheat and oat and I can understand how a root could be buried in there and it wouldn’t be as easily felt as with the softer grass hays.

Interesting things to find out! So IF anyone ever sees another one, just email me and let me know, because though it’s not something that is dangerous, how would anyone know that, and I wouldn’t want to cause unnecessary alarm. I would also like to keep track of how often this happens. If this is a fluke thing, then no biggie. If it’s happening alot, then I’d want to let the supplier know. So just email me if a hay or wheat root is found in your hay.

Thank you.

EDITED TO ADD: I forgot to say –  It was hard to tell for sure how large those “roots” are in the picture, so it was hard to know if it for sure is a tree root or a grain root, but  I just got another call from the supplier and she said she would make sure that the guys that are hand feeding the baler really watch out for stuff like that.  Like I mentioned before, they too really care about the quality.. That’s why I like doing business with them.

• MimzMum
                      Participant

Binky, thank you so much for all you do to keep our bunnies happy and healthy. I did not know this about wheat and oat hays, it is VERY interesting and now I’m thinking, “Hmm…should’ve left the root in there, they probably would’ve loved it!” ^_^
                        I also want to be sure everyone understands that I have no real problem with the BinkyBunny.com products, that I was only inexperienced and was alarmed that something might be in the hay that should not be there. As this has been very satisfactorily cleared up, I have no problem going to the shop again to order more of these particular hays, as my picky buns LOVE the stuff and I’d hate to be without it, frankly. Yes, it is costly, but only if I cannot use it. This is obviously not the case and the education we’ve all gotten is very valuable.
                        As I can see now, it is still by far the best hay around and yes, we are MOST fortunate we have someone like Jennifer to secure it for us and offer it in the store.
                        I really don’t know what I’d do without you guys. My bunnies would still be eating nothing but carrots and lettuce if it weren’t for you!
                        THANK YOU!

• Sarita
                        Participant
                        18851 posts Send Private Message

That is so interesting! I would love to learn how they harvest the hay and more about hay so thank you for this information. If you learn anything more about anything about the hay, please post it – I think we would all love to know.

I love the BB hay too, it’s top notch!

• kralspace
                          Participant
                          2663 posts Send Private Message

I really appreciate the quality products BB offers us, my buns love everything we’ve gotten.

After having horses most of my life, I’m astonished at how clean this hay always is. I always tried to get top quality hay for my mare, but I was always finding ‘goodies’ like vines, sticks, cans, cheap wine bottles, shoes, several snakes and even one whole dead rooster!.

I understand Mimsmums initiall concern as a new mom, but I guess I’ve always been in the habit of shaking out and checking any hay I feed (even as beautiful as the BB hay is, it’s just a very old habit….lol) , discarding any strange bits as just part of the experience, but so far I haven’t found anything but beautiful hay and those great fuzzies that the piggies fight over in my orders. 

thanks for all the great info, it’s really interesting to know it comes from the mountains. Wish they had a video on their website…(hint, hint)

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Hay Bales-Again! (PLEASE don’t shoot the messenger!)