Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Having two bunnies????

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • LillyBear
      Participant
      223 posts Send Private Message

Does having two bunnies help lessen the destructive behavior in the bunnies?  Lilly is a destructive little bun.. and bf thinks that if we get another bun maybe she will be less destructive.  Only, I dont want another bun.. because we would have to keep bun number 2 secret cause bf’s brother that lives with us would flip if we got another bun.. and since we are living at a place that bf’s parents own.. we were under the agreement.. that we could only have ONE.. and I dont want to cause any problems.. bc even though we are paying rent.. its still not OUR place.. sooo idk.. bf really wants to get another cause of lillys behavior.. but i say no.. what do you think??

• Hedi
        Participant
        969 posts Send Private Message

I dont think an extra bun will lessen her destructive issues. May make them MUCH worse. I have had Carrera 4yrs and Pookie 2yrs and they dont care for eachother. So you could have a WHOLE different war on your hands!

My advise is to step it up a notch. Spray the carpets with perfume. Give her more boxes and paper bags to destroy. We have a big grocery bag in the living room with small baskets, small plain pieces of paper, phone book, pinecones, chew toys, etc. So when the buns come out they hop in the bag and find something to pull out and play with. Those Quick Cement tubes from Lowes or Home Depot that are like 4ft long 8"wide are great for buns to run around it and play and destroy (less than $5).

We keep extra paper and cardboard rolls and magazines all over so our buns have distractions from destroying carpet or walls. Works most of the time. It will surprise you the amount of things she may ignore initially but will catch her eye at a later date if you remove it and bring it back at a later period. Remember anything can be a toy- lid to a detergent bottle, empty medine bottles with a penny in them, stuffed animals, etc.

If you give her more things to catch her attention then she will have more to occupy her time and less to destroy the floors. The areas where our buns pulls the carpet we have these cheap heating pillows that we lay over it and they are too heavy for our buns to bother to move so they move on to something else.

• Deleted User
          Participant
          22064 posts Send Private Message

I agree with Hedi … two buns can be much more hard work and don’t forget double mess to clean up and more expense in vet bills, vaccinations, cages, food etc, together with the issue of trying to bond (if appropriate), territorial issues and house damage.

Lots of toys .. a definite must to keep a busy bunny amused.

Dawn xx

• Lucy
            Participant
            370 posts Send Private Message

Pros and cons. I think that it did help a little with Fujoe.. he’s not AS bad as he used to be, but now we have Patina to worry about.. so it’s just about the same. He doesn’t go for the cardboard that we stapled on the baseboard as much any more.

But now there are two bunnies to worry about.. more food to buy, more poops in the litter box, and two bunnies to worry about.

It did help Fujoe- he seems much happier, and I don’t have to worry when I leave during the day. They lounge and loaf next to eachother most of the time. It’s nice to have two of them, but it is more work. Just wait till you are able to have another bunny. . . that way you don’t have that stress over you.

• poopy
              Participant
              684 posts Send Private Message

2 buns = double trouble

Since it sounds like your bun has some antisocial issues with humans, adding another bun can go 2 ways:
                1) The other bun will improve Lilly’s socialization skills- she may act “nicer”
                2) Another bun may be extremely upsetting since it sounds like she has dominance issues. Could cause some temporary to long term increase in unwanted behavior (destruction, marking, aggression).

Try taking her on some bunny dates with your local rabbit rescue and see how she acts with other buns. You never know how they will act with other buns.

• Hedi
                Participant
                969 posts Send Private Message

Can you take your bun to a local shelter for a bunny date? See how she acts with a boy? She could get very mean and territorial or you could see a loving side of her you have never seen.

I would hate for you to go out and adopt another bun and then your bun throw a fit and act up for than she already does.

• MooBunnay
                  Participant
                  3087 posts Send Private Message

Hi! For the most part, I always recommend that people have a pair of bunnies rather than one. Of course, in your situation, you would want to introduce Lilly to several bunnies in hope of finding “love at first sight” because a long bonding process would be more work, however, if you did find love at first sight with two bunnies, then i think it would be excellent for Lilly to have a friend. At the resuce I work with we never let a bunny stay single for longer than two months!

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Having two bunnies????