Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Have I moved too quick?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • Tycoch
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

About 5 days ago I adopted a 3yr old boy – Noah – from a rescue to bond with my 8 month old girl – Willow. Both spayed/neutered. The rescue advised that due to Noah’s disposition, they could be housed side by side straight away. I am bonding them upstairs as willow usually has the run of downstairs. They have their litter boxes next to each other and will lie down next to each other. Because they seem so relaxed together I thought I’d try a brief bonding session, I did this yesterday just before lunch and held it in my rather large bathroom. They both seemed more interested in sniffing the room than each other. They had a very brief sniff but other than that were uninterested. Later in the afternoon I thought I’d try another short session. Again they were completely uninterested in each other but I noticed Noah kept retreating into the corner of the room, he looked scared so I put them both away after about 10 mins. This morning I tried again but 8 made the area smaller but still plenty of room and treats. They interacted more and willow had a quick nip but nothing spectacular. Noah seemed scared so I put them away after about 10 mins. I tried again around 5pm but Noah was terrified, he was panting so much. I know it’s very early days but I don’t want to stress him out so I’m hesitant to try again. Should I leave it a few days? Am I going to fast? Noah was previously bonded but his mate died which is why he was given up. I think I’m getting uptight because willow is usually free range and she is in an enclosure while we bond plus we are obviously missing her presence downstairs but, I also read that she could become depressed and start taking it out on the rabbit I’m trying to bond her with. I also don’t want to stress Noah out as he isn’t as familiar with us as willow is, he doesn’t know how amazing his little life will be and how much I love him already.
        if the bond does work, I’ll still be keeping him but he will live upstairs. I don’t know why I’m planning for that. This will work!!! Please help me and reassure me x

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

I usually like to let the new bun settle in to the new home for at least a week. I think since he is acting so scared you should pause for a week or two and just let him adjust to his new home and get to know you a bit. Housing them side by side is good. Once he settles I recommend doing side-swaps every day or two for about a week, then resume your bonding sessions.

It doesn’t sound like the sessions went too bad, but I think he will be more confident and comfortable if he has a bit more time to get used to her as a neighbor and to your home.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Have I moved too quick?