Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Has anybunny here tried NHV Natural Pet Products supplements?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • frenchfried
      Participant
      14 posts Send Private Message

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone’s tried the NHV Natural Pet Products branded supplements?  They are glycerine based herbal drops…for cats, dogs, farm animals, rabbits and other small pets etc.  They are basic herbal formulations that can be used in multiple species.

I use a lot of the herbs myself in the form of pharmaceuticals grade supplements prescribed by my functional/integrative doctor (no, I’m not using the NHV drops myself but the active ingredients are the same, like turmeric and burdock root).

I’m just worried about the glycerin part because I took my baby to Urgent Care and the rabbit vet there said glycerin is ok in small amounts but she didn’t recommend it.  ((Buuut she also didn’t like the ingredient list for the Sherwood Adult Rabbit Food because of flaxseed and recommended Oxbow…HOWEVER! the Oxbow Organic pellets she’s rec’d is what I used to feed my bunns and it ALSO has flax seed, soy and wheat fillers, etc. AND canola oil all of these ingredients = highly inflammatory and also the Canola oil is RBD (refined, bleached, deodorized)  in addition to being processed with Hexane which is derived from gasoline…Nothing alive should be consuming Canola oil.  https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2015/04/13/ask-the-expert-concerns-about-canola-oil/ ))

Anyways, back to the NHV drops.  I’m just worried that the glycerine is harmful to rabbits?  Because I’m now reading that glycerine is basically a sugar alcohol… The site basically has five star ratings, but I’m starting to think they are doctoring their site and removing negative reviews cause now I’m seeing unhappy customers (I think it was the) from the Better Business Board website as well as reviews via Amazon via NHV’s now closed Amazon store.

Just wondering about anyone else’s experience with this company.

Thanks for reading!  Any input is appreciated!

• LBJ10
        16908 posts Send Private Message

It isn’t toxic, if that’s what you’re asking. As an additive in food, it’s likely to make up a very small percentage. Therefore, the dose would be extremely low. I don’t know if any data exists for the safety of consuming it in large quantities… at least not for small animals like rabbits. I can’t speak specifically to the herbal drops, but I would think a drop or two wouldn’t be harmful. The herbal ingredients, however, should be watched closely though since some things are not safe for rabbits.

Also, I assume the glycerine is plant-based? It can be made from animal fat as well.

• DanaNM
          8935 posts Send Private Message

I have not heard of them until now. It seems they mostly have products for dogs and cats? I would be hesitant to use a product that is marketed for “all animals” because dogs, cats, rabbits, etc all have different digestive systems and metabolisms.

Is there a particular concern you have for your bunny? I had a good experience with the herbal blends from Floppers Garden. They are just dried herb blends rather than extracts so I feel more comfortable with them (but still put together by an herbalist). I used the “old bones mix” for my senior and it did seem to help him with his arthritis.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Has anybunny here tried NHV Natural Pet Products supplements?