Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Harness for the buns

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    • DawnT
      Participant
      187 posts Send Private Message

I would like to buy bunny harnesses.  Does any one recommend one.  We bought one with the vest that velcros.  I was not comfortable with it becasue the boy’s have this huge mane of hair aorund their necks.. I do not want their hair to get tangled in the velcro.  How fo you mearsue the buns?

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

what do you need a harness for? are you taking them outside? if so, i think rather than a harness, you should put them in an xpen for supervised play.

• JK
          Participant
          2223 posts Send Private Message

I am really opposed to harnesses. I just don’t know why people want to walk a bunny on a leash! We had another thread about this recently. They can be exposed to many things outside, fleas, possible diseases, pesticides and even other animals. One good yank on a harness and a bun’s fragile body could be really injured. I agree with Beka – have them play in an xpen. I know people here do use harnesses but I for one just don’t like the idea. BUT it is just my opinion!

• masteroffm
            Participant
            53 posts Send Private Message

the only time we use a harness for marvin and jessica is when we go to Bunnyfest.  plus it depends on how well a particular rabbit handles being on a harness.  Jessica has no problem with being outside on a harness, but Marvin tries desperately to escape as soon as you put him down on the ground.  So we just keep Marvin in their wagon while we are there, but will still put a harness and leash on him.  The harness type we is a “step through” harness we saw on Pet Keeping with Marc Morrone

http://www.rescuepetstore.com/pet-supplies-LUP12SP.html

here are a couple of pics of Marvin and Jessica in their wagon

Photobucket   Photobucket

• ScooterandAnnette
              Participant
              1090 posts Send Private Message

We’ve got cat/kitten type harnesses for our buns. Every now and then we take them out to the park so that they can runrunrun, they seem to like having the ability to really get up some speed. Most often when we have the harnesses on them it’s because we’re taking them somewhere and I don’t want to risk them getting loose.

• Beka27
                Participant

masteroffm! did you make those wagon cages? those are so cool! was it hard bending the NIC cube that way? that is such a fantastic idea! someone was talking about getting a pet stroller the other day, but that is even sweeter…

• bunnytowne
                  Participant
                  7537 posts Send Private Message

to measure the bun measure around the neck and around the body behind the front legs.  I used the velcro type harness b4 my buns are too small for it tho I like those the best with the elastic leash   I use the other type cuz they are adjustable.  a light rope/string type that adjusts around their neck and body but the leash is not elastic    I might try the velcro harness again very easy to put on.    hopefully they are big enuf now. they were young when I tried the velcro one.  like a little jacket and has air holes on it.  if he will be still can you pull his hair forward out of the way and velcro it that way?

• masteroffm
                    Participant

i had seen the radio flyer wagons with the stake sides panels and had planed to modify one for use with my buns, but they turned out to be pretty pricey.  then my wife saw a basic wagon at Target for $30 and figured with a few NIC panels we could easily craft our own wagon.  For me bending them wasnt too hard, however for someone like my wife it maybe a little difficult.  Also the cage is secured with some neodymium magnets out of defective hard drives (I work in IT) and the magnets are actually so strong you can almost pickup the wagon by the cage

Photobucket

• bunnytowne
                      Participant
                      7537 posts Send Private Message

thats cool

• Bunnies4ever
                        Participant
                        368 posts Send Private Message

Those wagons are the cutest things I’ve seen! What a great idea for getting your buns out in the sunshine. Personally, I don’t believe in harnesses. When I adopted Stella & Luna, their previous owner gave me their harnesses. I never used them. It would be stressful just to get them in it.

• Beka27
                          Participant

i am in love with your wagon! i showed my husband. he thinks it’s cool, but he kinda rolled his eyes.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                            Participant
                            12067 posts Send Private Message

That’s awesome!! I love those wagons!! I really really want to take my bunnies to the humane society fundraiser in July ” A walk in the park” but coudlnt’ really figure out how…I think you solved my dilema!! That’s such a cool idea!!

• COOKIE'N FLUFF MOMMA
                              Participant
                              182 posts Send Private Message

SUCH AN AWESOME IDEA.! HOPE YOU DONT MIND IF I STEAL IT!

• masteroffm
                                Participant

if you do a search on ebay for “neodymium hard drive” you will find the type of magnets I use to secure the cage. i just run zip ties through the eyelets to secure them to the NIC cubes. just be careful when handling the magnets because it can be real easy to pinch your fingers and it feels like hitting your finger with a hammer.

• DawnT
                                  Participant
                                  187 posts Send Private Message

I just went to the web site the harnesses I saw are for dog/cat..  is that the one I want to buy. 

• rabbitsmba
                                    Participant
                                    475 posts Send Private Message

You can buy harnesses specifically for rabbits.  Here’s a pic of one on ebay….

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Harness-for-a-bunny-rabbit-or-cat_W0QQitemZ270237583917QQihZ017QQcategoryZ121854QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I had this one.  My bunnies hated it!  It was good because it had the elasticized leash that would stretch so the bunny would never feel a “jerk” movement when the slack ran out.  But alas, they didn’t like the feeling of the “jacket” part around them – I even tried letting them wear it around the house for a bit to get used to it but it was a no go.  I have since considered trying the other type, just the nylon harness, something less bulky for them to wear and more adjustable to their size.

I usually take them out in an xpen but I find they get kinda bored after a while.  I’d love for them to be able to run and binky out there but without a secured yard, I don’t dare.  I think a harness and leash can be a good alternative if (a) you understand that you can’t actually take a bunny for a walk – it’s more for them to take you for a walk while they go and explore – and (b) the bunny truly doesn’t mind it – if they find it stressful, skip it.

Or just buy a stroller!

DSC01927.jpg picture by rabbitsmba

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Harness for the buns