Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Hard Stomach

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • BakingBunny
      Participant
      66 posts Send Private Message

Hello, I am waiting to hear back from my bunny’s vet. They don’t open til Monday. She is recovering from a bad case of GI. She has a hard stomach and is pushing her gut against the floor. She usually stops once I give her the pain meds, so I’m assuming she’s in pain. She’s pooping normal sized poops and eating her cecotropes. She’s eating her critical care and lots of Hay. So I’m assuming there isn’t a blockage. Has anyone experienced a bunny with a hard stomach when recovering from GI?

• Wick & Fable
        5781 posts Send Private Message

To better assess whether there is a blockage, please watch the following video (listen to audio as well, as it’s very important). Owners often misjudge where the stomach is, when in reality it is much closer to the rabbit’s head than assumed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVW6Rw5rZzo

If she is pooping and eating as normal, it sounds like she is experiencing gas but it is at a minimal level where she can manage it on her own. If you confirm that there is indeed bloat/blockage, please take her to a vet immediately — there are no at-home remedies for bloat specifically.

For at-home measures for gas-related stasis symptoms, see here: https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Gastrointestinal_stasis#At-home_treatment

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• BakingBunny
          Participant

How would I tell if there’s a blockage? If she stops pooping?

• Wick & Fable

The video I posted guides you on where and how to feel to make an informed guess on where a blockage is likely. A blockage will lead to bloat, which will lead to a feeling of a balloon (firm). Confirmation/assessing with certainty for a blockage can only come from doing an actual x-ray, however, a bloated stomach is a clear sign of blockage.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• BakingBunny
              Participant

Is it possible for them to have a blockage of still be eating and pooping?

• Wick & Fable

As noted in the video, rabbits with a blockage may have the urge to drink, so it is plausible to carry over to eating — it’s not expected though since arguably blockage would be very painful and make them not want to eat.

At this point, if your rabbit is eating and pooping steadily, she is likely on the road to recovery.

• DanaNM
                  8935 posts Send Private Message

I agree with Wick that if she’s eating and pooping, she’s on the road to recovery. Some gas can be normal when there is residual slowing of the gut.

Can you describe the location of the area that’s hard? Maybe relative to her rib cage?

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 4 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Hard Stomach