Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR happy Noise?????

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • Carolyn
      Participant
      95 posts Send Private Message

I have another question, I posted on another spot on this forum about Cookie’s new behaviour of pacing under “new bunny”, the link is – https://binkybunny.com/Default.aspx?tabid=54&forumid=3&postid=33251&view=topic

Anyways, I decided i would switch Olly and Cookie’s cages.  Olly’s cage is much larger cage and further away from the new rabbit we have and its located right beside Scamper’s cage.  Cookie (our smallest&youngest) is a very active rabbit, unlike Olly, but the bigger cage gives her more romping room then what she used to have.

Well tonight she was hopping around the hide we have in that cage and she would stop to try and get Scamper’s attention (Scamper just doesn’t pay any attention to Cookie at all).  I wasn’t really paying close attention to her, I figured she was just playing.

Anyways, Cookie started to make a honking kind of noise, it was low at first and then got louder, it wasn’t the growl that they do nor did it sound like she was in pain.  I went over to her cage to check to make sure she was okay.  I clapped my hands, she stopped making the noise, she picked up her stuffed dog and tossed it aside in a playful manner and hopped over to me and stood up on her hind feet and stretched up to me as if to say “mom, did you come over to play with me???”

So do bunnies make noise when they are happy and playing???… or could it be her frustrated that Scamper wouldn’t play???… or angry (athough it wasn’t the same low grunt noise like what the boys make when we are cleaning their cage)???

P.S. Cookie just turned 4 months old and is not spayed. Scamper is fixed.

• BinkyBunny
        8776 posts Send Private Message

That is the sound of “love”. Are you absolutely sure that Cookie isa female? My understanding is females can honk too, but males usually do it. Most of the time they do it to let the other bunny know they want to mate. Jack, who has been neutered for years, will still try and swoon his gal Rucy with his “love” honks. Usually he runs around her while honking.

• Carolyn
          Participant

Yea I’m pretty sure Cookie is a girl, I have checked many time to make sure she hasn’t got any boy parts. But I’ll double check when I get home from work this morning.

She always liked Scamper she always hung out around his cage when she was allowed to play in the living room.

• Carolyn
            Participant

Yea I took a quick look I’m 99.999% sure cookie is a girl and as long as those are happy noise then I’m not going to worrie about it…thanks.

• babybunsmum
              Participant
              3896 posts Send Private Message

pinky bun honks ALL the time and she is def a girl.  she’s a very demanding girl (whose spay is coming soon)!  lol.  she runs laps around the dog honking

• MimzMum
                Participant
                8029 posts Send Private Message

Love noises? Oh dear. 0.o Mimzy used to hop around me and honk when I first brought him home (before he was fixed). You mean he probably won’t make those noises anymore? But they were so cute!
                  And it didn’t sound like a honk to me, it sounded like a dragonfly’s wings humming…but I’m sure it must be the honking you all are talking about.

• skunklionshow
                  Participant
                  1257 posts Send Private Message

Jessi makes a high pitched humming noise not that far from a grunt, but more flittering.  She makes this noise when Leo is ignoring her.  She’s spayed and thus not producing any hormones…but I swear it’s love noises!  She will start to stick her butt in his face and then he gets all excited.  Its not like the grunts she makes at him when she doesn’t want to be bothered b/c she “…has a headache”   I think we’re going to half to add sound files next.

• MarkBun
                    Participant
                    2842 posts Send Private Message

Females do honk as well.

If you wonder what a honk sounds like, go to youtube and search for “honking bunny” and you’ll get a couple of examples.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                      Participant
                      12067 posts Send Private Message

Yeh, Kokanee is for sure for sure female and for sure for sure love honks at my feet; She’ll hump an arm if she’s feeling amorous and honk then too.

Here’s a link to a recording of a happy bunny noise, that’s similar to honking but a content cooing..http://members.aol.com/bunster2/carla.htm

• Carolyn
                        Participant

Thats is what cookie sounds like, Thanks for the link, Kokaneeandkahlua.

Cookie dose it all the time now when the new bunny is out for her run. ( we can’t decided a name for the new rabbit yet, we are trying to decide between Lacy or Bailey)

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                          Participant
                          12067 posts Send Private Message

No problem-glad we figured it out!!

• skunklionshow
                            Participant
                            1257 posts Send Private Message

so if this is a happy noise…then maybe Jessica actually likes me.  That’s often the noise she gives me when she’s ticked off w/ me.

• kimberleyanddarren
                              Participant
                              2520 posts Send Private Message

omg i havent heard so much of a peep out of hopscotch apart from the odd teeth grinding noise so sad but yes i wouldnt worry!

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR happy Noise?????