Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE Hamster

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • Cinnimon&Ollie
      Participant
      300 posts Send Private Message

what hamster pellets is the best? And I know hamster balls aren’t good for them so what can u use for them to run around?

• ParsleyBun
        Participant
        119 posts Send Private Message

Did you get a hampster for Christmas? You can look at Victoria Raechel’s YouTube channel, she has great information on hampsters.

• BZOO
          Participant
          329 posts Send Private Message

I like the Oxbow Garden Select.

You can get a big cheap tub and make a hammy play ground.  Drill some small holes all over the lid!😁

• Cinnimon&Ollie
            Participant

My sister got a hamster for Christmas and I am helping her learn. She already got a cage for him/her. I know oxbow isn’t good for there pellets because there is no mix just plain and they need a mix. I will check out the vids

• BZOO
              Participant
              329 posts Send Private Message

Be careful with mixes.  Most contain a lot of sugar and dangerously small seeds.  Also, they will pick out the goodies and leave other stuff.

My hamster did very well on Oxbow.  She was on a cheap, seedy mix when I adopted her and switched to Oxbow immediately.  She loved it!

Let us know how it goes.

• Cinnimon&Ollie
                Participant

So two nights ago we went to get her hamster. We went to Petco and she found a really cute teddy bear hamster. We noticed its butt was wet and told the worker, but the worker said it was just because he was sitting in his water, he was so we figured it must be that and that he didn’t have wet tail. Wet tail is a deadly disease very common in hamsters, I had one hamster that died of it when I was in 3rd grade I think actually. Well, when he got home with him we saw that his butt was still wet, and it should’ve dried by now. We decided to watch him. He wasn’t eating, drinking, or moving at all. The next morning he died. My sister wasn’t too sad, of course, she didn’t want him to die, the only interaction she had with him was him biting her. We washed everything down and took him back to Petco to get a refund. When we walked in we explained what happened to the worker. His exact words were ” that sucks, I will go grab you a fresh one”. No, you will not my dad replied. He then explained that wet tail was very contagious and there is a very high chance they all have it. The worker then said, ” yeah, I had o throw a few out this morning “. That is very wrong of him to say that not to mention the fact that I and my 10 year old sister were standing there. There was no care for the health of their animals at all. We got our money back and left very disturbed. Today we went to get my sister a hamster for a better place, that got their hamsters from a family breeder. The workers there were so nice and knew about not only hamsters in general but also about the hamster’s attitudes. She also held the hamster which the Petco worker wouldn’t touch the hamster. We got a cute teddy bear hamster, my sister named him smores. He is active and you can differently tell the difference between the sick hamster and smores. Petco is continuing to sell the hamsters knowing that it is spreading there and they are giving people sick hamsters. I will not go to Petco anymore. Smores is in a 4.5 square foot cage, with a 10 inch wheel, hide house, lots of toys, and tons of bedding. We are feeding him what he was being fed and looking into that food to see if we will continue with that. Smores is doing very well and is a very gentle and calm hamster.

• DanaNM
                  8930 posts Send Private Message

I glad you were able to find a reputable source! That is such a sad experience though!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE Hamster