Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Hair lose

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Ash
      Participant
      165 posts Send Private Message

Mr.B has never shed, hardly at all since we got him in October. Well lately he’s been shedding like no tommorow. Is this normal? I heard it could be a “winter shedding” thing?

the 2nd thing is, Riley just learned how to mount Mr.B and when he is mounting him he’ll pull Mr.b’s fur (no skin attached just fur). Is this something to be worried about (well more so?) I just don’t want that to be an agressive thing.I don’t hink it is an agressive thing they will groom, hop around and lay down next to each other.

Anyone have any ideas for me?

• LittlePuffyTail
        18092 posts Send Private Message

Rabbits go through stages where they sort of “molt”. They lose most of their longer fur all at once. I’m not sure what the cycle of shedding is but I don’t think it’s the same for all rabbits. My Mini-Rex tends to do this about twice a year. I just brush him once a day until he is done shedding.

• BinkyBunny
          8776 posts Send Private Message

It’s normal for their first shed (around six months) to be the craziest. Sounds very normal. It is also common for a bunny to pull on the other bunnies fur while he’s mounting, but I would use a glove or something to prevent him from biting for too long as this can turn into a fight if Riley ends up getting tired of this. How long does the mounting go on for?

• Ash
            Participant

ok good!

Riley will mount mr.b for a few seconds about 4 or 5 times then hop around and come back a little later and repeat. Mr.b would usually mount Riley aloot but Riley didn’t mind it, it seems like he was skitish at first and Mr.b would hop after him to remount and if he didn’t follow Riley would dart over and groom or put his head under mr.b’s belly.

• Tichelibun
              Participant
              24 posts Send Private Message

Frankie recently started shedding as well. He’s almost a year old, and besides when he lost his frizzy baby fur, this is his first molt. I try to brush him as much as possible, but his fur is so smooth, it works better to try to pull it out by hand to help him. It’s a much slower process than my mini-rex. She would be done shedding in abouat a week! I also vaccum regularly.

I was wondering though, is there anything else a can do? My computer is CLOGGED with hair.

• Staja
                Participant
                59 posts Send Private Message

I’ve been using a sticky lint brush, as Warren seems to like this better than the brush.  Also, it was suggested to me that you rub the bun with a damp hand, and the hair will stick to it.

I can’t wait for this shed to be over – everything I own is covered with black bunny hair or blonde cat hair!

• BinkyBunny
                  8776 posts Send Private Message

Tichelibun – Sometimes air filters can help too.

LopsNLopsofLove – Okay, sounds like they are working out some dominant issues through mounting and so far it doesn’t seem like it goes on too long and neither one get feisty about it. Just keep your eye on it since they seem to be in the “establishing” roles mode.

• Ash
                    Participant

well there is fur everywhere but atleast Mr.B seems to be slowing down in the hair loss now. As far as the actions between Riley and Mr.B, it’s bbeen interesting- I need to make a new post for this.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Hair lose