Forum

OUR SITE IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS. YOU WON’T BE ABLE TO LOGIN YET.   WE WILL ANNOUNCE WHEN READY. THE SITE MAY BE SLOW, SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT.  YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Home Forums DIET & CARE Hair fell out in clumps (male bunny)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    JoBunny123
    Participant

I brushed him lots this morning to make him look presentable for his nail clipping at the vet’s. But when we were there he got really scared and big clumps of fur fell out and made a massive cloud. Has that happened to your bunnies before? He ignored me afterwards and refused to eat until I’d left the room but I’d say I’m almost forgiven now and he’s flopped on the floor looking quite content. I’m still in shock over how much fur there was though, probably about 3 days of thorough brushing came out in 5 seconds.

Asriel and Bombur
    Participant

Some bunnies can shed from stress. Bombur does it when we go to the vet because he’s been so often. Is he molting too by any chance?

Azerane

Shedding fur is a very common stress response, happens in cats and dogs too. It’s not normally quite so bad as what it sounds like you’re describing, but would still be considered normal

Bam

I agree with the others, stress shedding is a normal response to fear. Its rather practical if a predator is trying to catch you. The predator gets a mouth full of fur while the prey slips away ?

Wick

I agree with a possible stress-shedding episode. Also, from my experience, I describe shedding as “fur releasing” sometimes, where the day prior, grooming did not get much fur out, but the following day, I would get a ton out because that’s when the fur decided to “release”. I think it’s common for rabbits’ fur to shed in cycles/patches like that, rather than being a constant stream of perpetual fur loss… though admittedly molts can last forever so it seems ever continuous!

JoBunny123
    Participant

Ok, good to know it’s a normal stress reaction. Poor little thing is still a bit stressed out though so I’ll spend the evening trying to gain his trust!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.