Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Hair Care

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • sethforsaken
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

Hello,

I am reaching out to see how I can care for my Lions Mane/Lop bunny. A while ago he was eating significantly less so I took him to a local small animal vet and he said that he has a ear infection. We gave him the (trimethoprim sulfa) and food supplement “Critical Care Herbivore” for the prescribed time and he seemed to improve.

Recently we noticed he stopped eating normally again and we just figured we’ll give him a new hutch (his old one was like 5 years old) and check him for anything. It appears he has these mats near his face near his nose and mouth. We tried to trim up the area but it’s just difficult. We’re looking for advice because he still seems off, despite when he got the new hutch he definitely seemed to perk up a lot. Now with a couple of tasty snacks he seems to be eating better but I’m still bothered by his mats that seem quite bothersome but they don’t smell or anything.

Thanks in advance.

• LBJ10
        16908 posts Send Private Message

When you say the fur is matted around his mouth, I assume you mean it’s crusty. If that is the case, then that would suggest he is drooling. I would have the vet check his teeth thoroughly (i.e., not just taking a peek in there while he’s awake). The matting around his mouth is highly suspicious of a tooth problem and it would explain why he isn’t eating well.

• DanaNM
          8935 posts Send Private Message

I agree this sounds like it could be a dental problem. Lionheads and lops seem more prone to molar spurs. It’s difficult to do a deep oral exam without some light sedation, but sometimes vets notice problems right away without it. If the vet doesn’t notice anything while the bun is awake, I would request either an oral x-ray or a deep oral exam with sedation. Be sure your vet is experiences with rabbit dentals as well.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Hair Care