Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A guinea pigs….?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    • Kaitlyn*[ily]*
      Participant
      145 posts Send Private Message

OK well as i mentioned earlier, my dad said no to a rabbit. After thinking about it, I think that was actually the right choice. I’m going to do what most people mentioned, wait until I finish school, before i decide to adopt a rabbit. After i told my dad that he said that he would be fine getting me a different animal that doesnt live as long (that kind of sounds mean…..). So i was thinking maybe a guinea pig…. what do u guys think? I just really want a pet….

I did know that they live that long and i did talk it over with my parents. They said that is he/she is still alive that they would give her to my sister. She really wants a guinea pig and i thought she could be like a co/owner (lol).

My mom hates anything with a long tail. So gerbils and rats are out of the question. My neighbor has a guinea pig and it is the sweetest thing ever….

• PeppersMama
        Participant
        391 posts Send Private Message

guinea pigs still live to about 5-8 years and im sure they can be tamed, but all the guinea pigs i have ever seen were very, very skittish…how short a life span are you thinking? because if they are properly tamed animals like rats and hamsters can make really nice pets. i have had three hamsters, only one at a time, but they each only lived about three years which is a fairly short life span (rats are about the same lifespan). you have to make sure they are tame though, which means getting them young and handling them alot. my friend has rats and they are amazing and smart!

P.S. im from terre haute indiana! lol about a hour and half south from you!

• TARM
          Participant
          1253 posts Send Private Message

Do you know that piggies can live up to seven years if they’re well cared for?

They are cute animals and caring for them is very similar to caring for a bunny. Just make sure you do your research like you did for the bunny.

I’ve owned GP’s and I consider them to be great starter pets. They aren’t as stubborn as bunnies can be but they also aren’t as clean (they don’t litter box train easily if at all) or as smart as bunnies are. They’re a little more likely to tolerate being held if you work with them. They still need their out of cage time and they still need their veggies.

Honestly, if your dad is going to allow a guinea pig there’s no reason not to allow a bunny. Maybe in a few days you can talk to him about the similarities between the two and get him to agree with the rabbit.  Maybe adopt an adult that’s already a few years old?

• RabbitPam
            11002 posts Send Private Message

I had guinea pigs growing up and our family loved them. First we had two that belonged to my brothers while they were in junior high and high school. Then a few years later I got my own pig when I was about 13. She lived 5-6 years. The others died a bit younger. Even after I left for college my pig was a part of the family and easy to care for so my parents didn’t mind. Her cage was in my room most of the time. She got comfortable enough with me to sit on my stomach while I was on my bed and get relaxed enough to yawn in my face. Pretty relaxed for a pig. They get used to you if you don’t give them cause to be frightened. (Make sure your friends are very careful when they visit.) I would recommend a piggie. Oh, all three were abesinian, the swirly fuzzy kind. I don’t know if that breed is at all calmer.

• Deleted User
              Participant
              22064 posts Send Private Message

Guinea pigs are cute as pets … I have two males but unfortunately they are housed separately as they fight (my younger piggy has a big scratch on his nose).  They are very sociable creatures .. my older piggy Tyson is 5 … loves to be held but cannot tolerate the younger pig. Tyson likes to sit on your lap wrapped up in a towel … he is kinda lazy, basically just sleeps all day in his tray but is very noisy at feed time when he hears the fridge opening.  He is a clean pig and does most of his business in one corner of his cage

My younger pig, Micky, is 2 … extremely dominant of the other pig when they are sometimes together which is not very often … he is a dirty pig as he sprays and has terrible cage habits … very smelly boy and he bites the bars of his cage which is very annoying sometimes .  He is not as easy to handle but loves to come out for a run around.

I have both of my piggies inside … I clean them out every night as they are kinda on the pongy side by the end of the day … they are fed pellets in the morning and loads of fresh hay both mornings and night and have a variety of veggies each night.  Piggies do not make their vitamin C so they require plenty of foods containing the C vitamin.  I have heard that they need supplements but generally if they are getting the recommended dosage in their daily intake of food … it is not necessary.

They need to have their nails trimmed as they do grow over and curl up, so monthly maintenance on nail trimming is essential … other than that they are pretty low maintenance creatures … and don’t bite which is nice and dont need bathing as they groom themselves like bunnies (unless they are really dirty of course).  I think I have only bathed Tyson twice (after being sprayed by Micky ).

Keep us posted on any updates

• bigsis7
                Participant
                732 posts Send Private Message

Guine pigs are very good pets, but like people have mentioned they do live quite a long time. Have you considered rats? They only live 2-3 years, but are wonderful pets! I have owned 5. They love to play and cuddle plus they can ride on your shoulder everywhere!! Here are a few links on them:
                  http://www.goosemoose.com
                  http://ratsrule.com/
                  http://www.ratz.co.uk/petrat.html
                  Rats should be kept in pairs though since they are social animals. There are rescues and breeders with rats. I rescued mine from being snake food at a pet store. Anyways good luck with your dad!

• bigsis7
                  Participant
                  732 posts Send Private Message

OH I just read the bottom to your post….what about a rabbit then? You have it and then they give it to your sister?

• RabbitPam
                    11002 posts Send Private Message

Yes, a co-owner is good for chores as long as you are diligent. ie. set up a cleaning/feeding schedule and stick to it. With feeding the pig will tell you if you’ve forgotten. (Major rattling of chewed on cage bars.) Still recommend one.

One thing: our pigs did bite on occasion, when frightened in unusual circumstances like being caught after an escape, so you will probably need to get a tetanus shot that lasts 7-10 years. Just a precaution but we were all brought to the family Dr. the minute a finger got chomped.

• Sarita
                      Participant
                      18851 posts Send Private Message

Actually I would not consider them good starter pets – I have a friend who rescues guinea pigs and has over 100 in her rescue because people thought they were good starter pets. It’s difficult to find a vet who is knowledgeable about these little animals because most people don’t even take them to the vets!

They are very prone to bladder stones and other health issues.

Also I find cleaning their cage alot of work moreso than rabbits which are not good starter pets either.

That being said they are fun little pets but they do have a tendency to be skittish – it’s just their nature as they are prey animals and they do need a very large cage too – the ones they sell at the pet stores are totally inadequate.

• Beka27
                        Participant
                        16016 posts Send Private Message

i had two guinea pigs (and then four more when i my new female had an oops litter.) they are not as much work in my mind as bunnies, but they need a very large, flat cage. they cannot jump like buns, so they need horizontal space.

this site is recommended on here b/c of the NIC and coroplast discussion, but it is about guinea pig homes… http://www.guineapigcages.com/cubes.htm

i think that might be a nice idea if you and your sister could share ownership of a guinea pig. you could work out a schedule for cleaning duties, and he or she should be able to get enough attention.

someone else mentioned adopting a rabbit that is a few years old. if the age span is your dad’s concern (which i am pleased he has done some research, b/c many people think they only live to be a few years old!) could you adopt a “senior” rabbit? they are considered senior at 5 or 6 years old, and you could still have many wonderful years with them.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                          Participant
                          12067 posts Send Private Message

All great info! My oldest living piggie lived eleven years and the youngest to die (cinnamon-she never really was healthy-always quite thin) lived five years so they do have a longer life span-much like a rabbit.

• Ana
                            Participant
                            182 posts Send Private Message

I have a guinea pig and love him! They are just as high maintenance asbunnies, though. They need grooming, nail clipping, play time, and good companionship. My cats loved my pig, and would sleep with him. Cavies have a vitamin C deficiency, so they need it supplemented in their diet (an orange a day keeps the doctor away.) Mine got fleas, and went blind, all in two years being indoors. They can be just as costly and time consuming as bunnies. I’ve had mine for five years and he’s still going strong as ever. Cavies form attachment to people much more than I think bunnies may. Some bunnies seem to love people, other don’t. In my experience, cavies need people to love them to be content. When I walk in the room he gets super excited. I think it’s a myth that they are skittish– they’re just like bunnies in that they have to be held properly. Also, you can’t potty train them as well as a bunny. Mine only peed on my once, but they poo A LOT and everywhere! Definitely research the health issues of guinea pigs first. I don’t really see much of a difference between guinea pig and bunny in terms of cost, maintenance, needs (both have very specific dietary needs), attention, and lifespan. Why a guinea pig and not a bunny? They both need out time. And like most bunny cages are way too small for bunnies, most pig cages are way too small for guinea pigs. They like outdoors– I took mine on walks until he got fleas. Also, I don’t really like the idea of passing him onto another sibling. Maybe get the pig together, and share it equally, and when you leave home your sister can be the sole provider. But even though I don’t live with my cavy, I think he still likes me more than my mom because I took care of him as a baby.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A guinea pigs….?