Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Guinea pig as a buddy?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • LittlePuffyTail
      18092 posts Send Private Message

How do you feel about keeping a g-pig with a bunny as a companion?

There is a rabbit who lives at my stable who recently lost his companion to infections/headtilt and I feel really bad for him. He craves human attention but unfortunetly doesn’t get  a whole lot. I give him as much attention as I can when I’m there.

I really wish he could have a buddy but I don’t want to get another bunny for him as we are pretty sure he has Pasteurella as his former companion did. He is a SUPER sweet bun but he’s not fixed. He’s really easy going though, When they introduced him to Clover he was so happy and sweet to her, they didn’t do any bonding work, they were just lovers at first sight.

So I was thinking what about a guinea pig? I know some people keep them together and there is always quite a few at the spca. How do they usually get along together? I think it would be better than him being alone? 

• lilmizzsnickerz
        Participant
        318 posts Send Private Message

you would have to be careful he didnt hurt her if hes not fixed he could hump the g-pig and injure it of if he blinkys best bet would be if they were in cages next to each other or somthing

• Moonlight_Wolf
          Participant
          1155 posts Send Private Message

Well, I would not reccomend it because,
            1. Guinea Pigs and Rabbits have different Diets (eat different Pellets, I am not sure about hay)
            2. The rabbit could hurt the gunea pig because of his great strong hind legs, (guinea pigs have wimpy back legs)
            3. Since they are a different species, they are less likely to get along with each other.
            If you want your Rabbit to have a animal as company you could always put two cages next to each other so that they will see each other but not live together directly. The rabbit would not get too Lonely with another animal nearby, But both pets would need love from you!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
            Participant
            12067 posts Send Private Message

I’d ditto that ^^

Buuut in this situation, its not like he has the best home and I think maybe he would like a guinea pig -better then nothing. But why don’t you try bringing him a stuffed animal first? You could give it to your buns first so it smells real and then give it to him so hes not lonely.

• LittlePuffyTail
              18092 posts Send Private Message

I did bring him a stuffed bunny. He loves it, he snuggles with it and humps it frequently

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Guinea pig as a buddy?