Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Guilty over my carelessness

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • RHG
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

I have had rabbits before on and off since I was a kid. I am in my early thirties now. I also have never been perfect at taking care of them but, have always tried my best. I was given the responsibility recently a few months back to take care of a rabbit named Sweet Pea for my “second parents” as I have been living with them. She was about 6 years old and lived in an outside hutch, and I live in Florida.

When I started taking care of her, I put new pellet on top of pellets she already had in her bowl, fresh hay & fresh water every day. It only would take me a few minutes to tend to her. I got into the habit though of continuing to dump fresh pellet on top of the old pellet she had in the bowl for a couple months. She would eat what I placed in there, and then I would place more without emptying the bowl. A little over a month ago I then noticed one day that she didn’t really touch her pellet or hay.

I said something to my parents and they said it was normal sometimes for her to not eat really with the heat of the summer. However, I also wasn’t paying close attention to her as I should have nor did I throw away the old pellet the entire time I took care of her. I then went away for a few weeks, and they resumed taking care of her. I got a call in the first few days that I wasn’t there that her bowl of pellet had layers of moldy pellet, her hay was soaked in pee, and she was underweight from what she normally was to them. When I heard this, I would have kicked myself if I could have as I know better than to have done that to her like I just realized it!

They then gave her fresh food, which she didn’t eat a whole lot of, and she even ate some berries here and there as they tried to see if she would start to eat more normally but sadly days later she passed away. I just have felt like a horrible human being for being so lazy and careless, and can’t believe I contributed to slowly killing her. I can’t get over my actions and know that if I changed her bowl of pellet or said something sooner than she would probably still be here. I hate myself for hurting her, and my “second mom” as it was her pet. Neither one of them should have suffered from my poor judgement! I also have broken her trust.

I can’t stop beating myself up over it and have been eaten up with guilt and shame ever since. I’m upset and besides myself for being negligent. I really don’t know how to forgive myself for her death as I truly enjoyed seeing her every day and do love bunnies. I was hoping to find any advice on here please and thank you to anyone who is willing to take their time and respond this 🙏

• Wick & Fable
        5782 posts Send Private Message

Pet rabbits are one of the most misunderstood pets in terms of care needs– unlike dogs and cats, the “every day” assumptions about care and overall intuitiveness is simply not there, so it is hard for both children and adults to know instinctively what it means to take care of a rabbit. Many amazing rabbit owners now do have a background in having a “childhood rabbit” whose care was not ideal— and while unfortunate, just remember these experiences are in the past, the rabbit is hopping on the other side of a wonderful rainbow bridge, and all your actions now can be dedicated to conveying a better life for rabbits to come.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Guilty over my carelessness