Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Grooming shy bunny

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • tbunny
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

I adopted a lion head rabbit from a shelter that I volunteer at almost 2 weeks ago. She was a stray and the shelter had her for about a month and admitted that they did not socialize with her at all, other than feeding her and changing her water. She has been very shy and timid (considering her circumstances). She has adapted well to her new environment and loves to hop and run around my room every day out of her cage while I supervise. She seems very comfortable EXCEPT she will not let me pick her up or brush her. I know that rabbits need to be brushed on a regular basis (especially lion head/long-haired rabbits). A few days after I adopted her and she seemed to be warming up, I was able to catch her and brush her for about 30 seconds before she freaked out and tried to bite me. I have raised rabbits in the past, but they were socialized by the time they were in my care and were not anywhere as timid as this one. Since she has not been cared for in a while, I am afraid that she has already consumed a good amount of fur. Should I just wait until she is comfortable enough and ready to let me brush her? Any advice or tips? I care deeply about doing what is right for the rabbit and would greatly appreciate criticism or advise. 

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

Hi there, welcome

I think a lot of people in this situation will train the bun to hop into their carrier or litter box, then carry them to the table that way, and groom them while they are sitting in the box (or take off the top half of the carrier).

You also might be able to get your brushing in while sitting on the floor with her, especially if you start with a soft brush work up combing. Hand plucking can also work well and is tolerated better by some buns than combing (esp if you pet their head with one hand while grooming with the other).

If she is super into her pellets, you can also brush while she’s eating. Sometimes a little bit of grooming frequently works well, and then you only occasionally need to put her on the table for deeper grooming.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Bunny House
          Participant
          1241 posts Send Private Message

Since she is a lion head there is no way around grooming and with molting season happening she need to be groomed more often. I would sit on the ground with her and lay the brush next to her and have treats in your hand. Let her touch the brush or you touch it to her and give her a treat each time so she can associate it with yummy ness. Then try and brush her and give her a treat each time ( I would use pellets because they are small and doesn’t hurt to give a lot during this). Of course if that doesn’t work, I would coax her into her carrier with treats and then take her to a counter or table and put her on a blanket and start to brush her and give her treats while you’re doing it. Worse case, you shave her and then don’t have to brush her all the time, but since she’s so new you proably don’t want to do that right away.

• arwen
            Participant
            16 posts Send Private Message

Awwww bless. Our bunny doesn’t mind being groomed, but she has been with us since 8wks. The only problem we have is grooming her chest lol. We use a soft toothbrush brush and usually she will lick away at my husbands arm while he strokes her with the toothbrush. But when he tries her chest she grabs the brush and pushes it away, is huffy for about five seconds then goes back to licking him.

I imagine, since your bun had been neglected in the past it’s more to do with trust and bonding. Certainly not going to criticise! She’s very lucky to have you and I’m sure she’ll realise that she can relax around you. All the best ???

• Texas Laws
              Participant
              17 posts Send Private Message

I also have a rescue lionhead who was quite neglected. She is tolerant at times to having her back and head brushed with a soft brush, but “no way Jose” for the belly and rump. Unfortunately, wrapping her up in a blanket and forcing the belly brushing is the only we can get it done. Then of course she is mad. 🙁 We take her to the vet for all nail trims. Best $20 I spend 🙂

• Texas Laws
                Participant
                17 posts Send Private Message

By the way, I had Dharma at a veterinary clinic that specializes in rabbits (and other exotics). They do grooming for rabbits as well, so Dharma got a nice trim today that will help cut down on the amount of grooming required 🙂
                  Perhaps you can also get your bunny trimmed up and reduce the amount of grooming you would need to do at home.
                  My rescue also thrashes around for grooming and we are afraid we are going to hurt her. I am happy to spend a few dollars to have the “pros” take care of those things for me. 🙂

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Grooming shy bunny