Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Grooming on first bonding followed by a fight?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • starlight
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

I’m currently attempting to bond 4yo neutered male (Nimbus) with a 4yo spayed female (Bagel).

I divided my room in half and things seemed to be going well. Mirroring, ignoring each other, eating and laying nearby. After about 5 days like that, I switched their sides a few days ago. Today I removed the boundary for a quick date (probably not a great idea to not do it in neutral territory in hindsight). For the first moments it seemed to be going well. They were curious. Then Nimbus even began grooming Bagel! Right after that she got under him and a bunny tornado ensued. I’m not 100 percent sure who started the fight but I’m leaning towards the girl (Bagel). I had to break it up with my hands and got bit in the process by Nimbus, the bunny I’ve had for longer. After this Bagel seems to be angry at me. Shes not letting me pet her and grunting at me. Nimbus seems fine though.

I definitely made some mistakes here but when I try to introduce them again under better circumstances will they be more likely to fight? I’m afraid I might have messed up a good bond with this bad experience. Was the grooming a good behavior and is it overshadowed by the fight?

• DanaNM
        8930 posts Send Private Message

Don’t stress too much, we all make mistakes during bonding!

But definitely make sure the next session is in neutral territory! I would continue doing pre-bonding (side swaps) for another week or so. This will let them calm down a bit from the fight as well. The initial grooming was very good, the fight not so good, but not the end of the world (assuming no bun was hurt?).

In future sessions be sure to prevent fights before they happen. So be ready right there to get your hands on them as soon as they get close to each other so you can stop things before they escalate. If you find they fight right away in neutral space, then go back to a bit more pre-bonding and you might try some stress sessions.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Grooming on first bonding followed by a fight?