Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Grooming comb

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • BunnyLass568
      Participant
      445 posts Send Private Message

I need a bit of help. I know that the hairbuster is probably the best comb for rabbits when molting but I want to know if there are other kinds of combs/brushes that I could use that would be just as good or at least decent enough until I can get a hairbuster. Also, how long should I brush for? I read/heard for 45 minutes to an hour but I also read/heard that it should be 15 minutes to 30 minutes. I tried for 15 minutes but it didn’t make much difference (though that could’ve been more of the combs/brushes fault) and Thumper and Blossom got really stressed out so I didn’t want to continue.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Pets-Passed away: Hailey (9 years old, half rat terrier and miniature pincher, Feb-5-2019),Monster (13 years old, mixed breed, Lhasa Apso and some form of terrier, Sep-14-2020), Demon (14 year old Lhasa Apso, Aug-3-2022) Blossom (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-7-2024) Thumper (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-12-2024)💔💔💔💔

• DanaNM
        8927 posts Send Private Message

I use a combo of hand plucking, the hair buster, and sticky lint roller sheets. I’ve also used soft bristle brushes (more to desensitize the bun to brushing) and the kong groom zoom (it works, but the fur kind of flies everywhere). My buns all have slightly different coat textures, so different combs work better on some (and they tolerate different things differently). Some people also like using a slicker brush, esp for longer coats.

I don’t think there is a set time limit on how much to brush for. I base it off of how heavily they are molting and how much the bun will tolerate. So if your bun will tolerate short sessions often, that works. My girls don’t really like being combed, so I usually will just put them on the table and do a deep grooming when they are molting (it ends up being prob 20 min ever other day or so when they are really molting). Then they get a treat after. 🙂 I find that easier than constantly pestering them with the comb. I am usually able to sneak pull a few loose tufts by hand though. 🙂

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• LBJ10
          16897 posts Send Private Message

I do a lot of hand plucking.

• Bam
            16869 posts Send Private Message

I do hand plucking and brushing with a small slicker. My bun is a lionhead cross, so I can’t lint roll him (I’d never be able to disentangle the lint roller). My other buns were normal-haired and lint rolling was a very good option for them. They seemed to hate it way less than any brush or comb!

I brush until it takes a long time for the slicker to get full of hair. It is a small slicker though, sth like 2 inches by 1.5. It has little plastic knobs on the bristles so it doesn’t hurt the bun’s skin.

It’s good to save some of the brushed-off fur in case you ever need to make a sore hocks’ bandage (the only good material to line a sore hock bandage with is rabbit fur).

• prince dorian the bun
              Participant
              743 posts Send Private Message

I cannot imagine trying to brush my bun for anything close to an hour.! I’d be happy for more than 5 seconds some days. I would see what you bun tolerates, if you can get a longer groom once every couple of days then that is probably more efficient. If you have a difficult bun like me, then it several times a day for however long you can get.

I mainly do plucking and when I can sneak in few swipes of the hairbuster comb I do. I used a regular cat brush before that but it didn’t work that well. Also seen a hack to put a rubber band in a regular comb to mimic a hairbuster comb. I really only groom him when he is molting as he doesn’t shed otherwise and at least with his hair type don’t see the point (he hates it, I’m lazy, and there really is no loose fluff). I do plan on trying a lint roller.

• lyssandchips
                Participant
                2 posts Send Private Message

Seconding the kong brush! It’s actually the only brush our rabbits will let us near them with 🙂

The fur can fly everywhere with it, but then we just use the kong brush to “brush” the floor where the fur landed until all  the stray fur collects into a “bunny ball” that we can just pick it up and throw out.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Grooming comb