Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Griffin just ate some raw potato- anyone else ever have this happen?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    • KatnipCrzy
      Participant
      2981 posts Send Private Message

Griffin was out for his free time and he is not afraid of the linoleum floor in the kitchen- he got under a low counter where we keep the dog food bin and any potatos that we have and ripped open the bag and ate part of a raw potato.  He ate about 1-2 teaspoons maybe.  I know that potatos are on the “Avoid” list- but it does not say what to do if the rabbit eats any.  I understand that they are high in starch and that may cause some GI upset.  The potatos were just purchased so they are not green or dangerous in that way.

I seriously cannot believe he ate potato.  Cotton is not afraid of the floor either and she has NEVER tried to eat potato.

• Scooter
        Participant
        140 posts Send Private Message

My bun has been into a few thing due to his lack of fear! The worst was definitely shortly after I discovered his love of climbing when he stumbled upon a bowl of cinnamon life while I was in the restroom!

When I found him he had eaten quite a bit, so I made sure he had lots of water, and watched him very closely.

He ended up getting very lethargic later in the afternoon and discharged quite a bit of the cecotropes, then was back to normal. He was quite young, so it was like his body was getting the sugar processed.

I closely monitored his temperature, through advice of the internet, for signs of change, but most of the things I read said to wait 6-12 hours before a vet visit and to watch to make sure his processing plant was still working normally, and that would be the first sign of distress.

True or not, this did work out for us, just monitoring him closely and make sure he was hydrated.

• Monkeybun
          Participant
          10479 posts Send Private Message

I had a cat that loved raw potatoes, but monkey has never been interested in em at all, so I’m no help

• BB Administrator
            Keymaster
            392 posts Send Private Message

Not a toxic plant or anything, just keep an eye on on him to see if he has any gi upset from it. I doubt it will much of a problem – it’s just

advised you don’t feed this on a regular bases or with to bunnies that may have sensitive tummies.

There are some exceptions, like my Jack, gets a little bit of sweet potato everyday (via vets orders) since he is on a pellet free diet, and needs to get carbs but via a veggie.

Helloworld!!

• Deleted User
              Participant
              22064 posts Send Private Message

Katnip, Lint did the same thing when I first got him. Same amount, too, and came back looking for more. He didn’t get sick but I was worried, too.

• Scarlet_Rose
                Participant
                4293 posts Send Private Message

Hi Katnip, long time no see! I agree that while not the best thing for a bunny to have – potatoes have too much starch and can cause a potential blockage which can lead to GI stasis if you give it to them on a regular basis, Cotton should be just fine. Just keep an eye on the little sneaky furball.

• Furface
                  Participant
                  618 posts Send Private Message

I seem to have a vague memory of Bugsy stealing one when she was a babe – she’s 4 1/2 now.

• MooBunnay
                    Participant
                    3087 posts Send Private Message

Amelia will eat anything that gets near her because she thinks its a “treat” – Brian was joking and pretended to offer her a cookie once, and she jumped so fast she actually got a bite of it! She hasn’t tried raw potato, but from my experience with her, getting a little snack of something that is natural and not toxic might give them a tummy upset, but I don’t think it will be too dangerous. I hope that Griffin is doin OK! Maybe you can give him some extra wet veg so he gets some water in him to flush it down?

• KatnipCrzy
                      Participant

He is doing OK today- completely normal.

When I heard him messing with the bag I thought he might be playing with a potato- but did not think he would eat it.  I had jokingly told my husband as I went to check on Griffin and what he was doing under the counter that maybe he would treat it like a football and “hike” it out into the living room.  Guess he decided to was too tasty to play with.  Now we have to store our potatos somewhere different.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                        Participant
                        12067 posts Send Private Message

I totally missed this. What a bad bunny! Glad he’s doing fine

• Sarita
                          Participant
                          18851 posts Send Private Message

Well, let’s just hope he doesn’t start asking for French Fries! I cannot even imagine him liking the taste of a raw potato – yuck!

• sgregory
                            Participant
                            203 posts Send Private Message

lol, bunnies are weird. nori got ahold of a little piece of a potato chip once, and she loved it. -.-
                              now if she knows i have some she tries to steal them from me!

• KatnipCrzy
                              Participant

He is still doing fine and has shown no ill effects from eating the potato.  I still can’t believe that he was even willing to try it- otherwise I never would have left the potatos on the floor. 

We are using the rest of the bag tonight on mashed potato with leeks (bought some leeks from the farmers market)- so no more potatos for Griffin.  At least he only tried eating one and did not take bites out of multiple potatos!  

• Sarita
                                Participant
                                18851 posts Send Private Message

Mashed potatoes with leeks – that sounds so yummy, not something I would have thought to try, but I may have to now.

• RICOH
                                  Participant
                                  19 posts Send Private Message

RICOH has found that anything kept in bags on floor are edible (wether he should eat them or not doesnt matter to him). anything that is dangerous has bee moved right out,shouldt have non harmfull stuff is now placed in the harder to reach places.
                                    Ive also noticed irrespective to how many corrots are put out for him he still chooses to pick his own from the bag, he will spend ages pulling and tugging at the hessian bag there kept in,so now we place them in differant places so he spends the morning hunting for them.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Griffin just ate some raw potato- anyone else ever have this happen?