Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Grid Condos Upper Levels

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • kanin
      Participant
      139 posts Send Private Message

Hi all, since I’m anticipating moving Fresno into Nora’s condo soon, I’m wanting to add some levels but I don’t know what to use as the flooring or how to secure it so that it doesn’t slide around. I always see great picture ideas, especially on Pinterest, but nobody on there ever explains how they make the levels. For instance, this one looks amazing but I can’t for the life of me understand how they made it, what materials are used (is it just plywood? how is there wood on the outside? what the heck is it attached to?), or how they’re secured onto the sides. If anyone has any suggestions on how they made theirs I’d really appreciate it!

• DanaNM
        8930 posts Send Private Message

OOooh that one looks amazing! It looks like they used little shelving brackets to support the plywood and attach it to the cube walls?

My upper condo levels are plywood with vinyl tiles (and fleece clamped on top with binder clips). I use wooden dowels to support them.

My condo is pretty ugly by pintrest standards but the bunnies like it. 🙂

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• kanin
          Participant

Omg, I saw you say your bun looks like Fresno and she really does! I mean I guess most Californian buns looks pretty similar, but still. 🤣 So cute!

Putting the vinyl tiles beneath the fleece seems like a great idea in case they pee on it. I was wondering what those people do if their buns just pee on the porous plywood… sounds like a nightmare. And another thing… how do you clean/vacuum the levels?! Especially that top one. 😳 And in the Pinterest pic it looks like there’s no good access to sweep them up or anything.

• Bu20055
            Participant
            246 posts Send Private Message

That one looks really nice! I’ve been looking into condos too because I’d like to make one for my buns once they’re bonded, not as a living space but open all the time for enrichment. I think I’d make mine using the cube connectors, because Esther chews zip ties.

• kanin
              Participant

I’ve found that I have to use both the connectors and zip ties because the connectors are pretty unreliable with holding it all together, especially when I want to just slide the setup over a little bit and it all just crumbles into pieces lol. Which is incredibly frustrating.

• DanaNM
                8930 posts Send Private Message

I have a door at the top that I can open up for cleaning, or if I need to catch a bun from the top levels. Basically the top two panels on the left flip down, and are clipped up at the top.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• AACardboardShredders
                  Participant
                  9 posts Send Private Message

Late to this thread, but we built our condo upper levels with plywood supported by more cube grid things, and zip ties. No additional wood support needed. Ours are 3wx2dx3h,a bigger setup might need additional support.

We also built “trays” for the whole bottom floor so that I could lift out the entire condo for deep cleaning the litter box level (put the litter on the bottom level). It’s pretty heavy so I don’t  do deep cleaning more than once a month. The rest of the time, the 2square tall door was good for cleaning the middle and bottom levels with a quick sweep and there is a one square door on the top over the highest level for easy vacuuming. Also put the whole thing on caster wheels so I could also easily clean behind and under it.

We used vinyl scrap on the two larger levels and carpet scrap on the ramp and top level. Secured carpet also with zip ties and the vinyl we stapled in. Super easy to clean but one of my buns started ripping up the vinyl so she ended up with fleece blankets on her lower level.

I am not home right now but I’ll see if I can drag up pictures from when we were building.

• AACardboardShredders
                      Participant

Imgur Link to Condos

Inserting isn’t working because I am terrible at technology but there’s some pics/a video.

We also have carpet so I put some scrap vinyl down under/in front of the doors so hay is easier to sweep.

• AACardboardShredders
                        Participant

And here is a recent picture of Chester’s condo (figured out pictures! Woo! Thanks technical thread!).

Tried to get a view where you could see the grid underneath.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Grid Condos Upper Levels