Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Green matted stains around rabbit’s mouth HELP

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • kindfern
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

What could be causing these matted, green stains around my rabbit’s mouth???

My rabbit, Ronnie, started getting green, matted stains, as shown in the picture 2 weeks ago. My partner and I clean the area with a damp warm towel every time we notice it happening, and that usually does the trick and keeps it away for a few days. If it’s real bad and we can only clean most of it, he does a good job at finishing the cleaning perfectly on his own.

I’ve done a lot of research about what could be causing this and I’m concerned! Vets in my area don’t have many appointments available soon due to strict COVID regulations, so we have to wait another week for his appointment. On the phone, the vet said it could be the start of an abscess or dental issues, but that same vet checked him just one month ago and said he looked good and had no dental issues! I saw online it could be kidney or liver issues? Please let me know what could be causing this if you have any ideas! Thank you so much.

Notes: He’s free-roamed indoor rabbit, he’s 3 years old, neutered and a lion-head. He has no pre-existing health conditions that I know of. He also started to really chew furniture a few weeks ago, before then he was never a big chewer in the time we’ve had him (2 months). These stains last a while, they’re not from the juices of fresh greens.

• Bam
        16877 posts Send Private Message

It looks like juice from greens. If he has a dental problem he could be drooling a bit because he chews more slowly and perhaps gets more saliva and or dont swallow like he normally does? Does he get fresh greens at all?

It doesnt ring any liver- or kidney bells with me, but I’ll look it up in case I’m wrong. You can sometimes see green poop if the intestines are a bit irritated. Could the stains be from cecotrope juice aka poop juice? The beat way to check would be to try and smell the stains while they’re still wet. Cecotropes have a pungent “green” smell, whereas a bacterial infection has a decidedly foul smell, although it is kind of difficult to explain the difference in words.

If you feel his jawline gently with your fingers, do you notice any swelling or protrusion? Does his jaw and/or lower face seem tender to the touch?

Is he eating his normal amount of food? How is his general demeanour? I e activity level, body language, interest in his surroundings, interest in taking a treat, is he being social or aloof in a way that’s not normal for him?

Its very good that he finishes the facial cleaning himself. A healthy rabbit is very particular when it comes to personal hygiene.

• kindfern
          Participant
          2 posts Send Private Message

Thank you SO much for your response!!

Green veggies definitely make the stains green-er, but he cleans the area after eating, and they go back to how they usually look, unless we clean it. The picture is a more extreme example but usually there’s a green tint and long green clumps of hair either side of his mouth.

The stains don’t smell like much, and the cecotropes smell pungent, no change in that that I’ve noticed. As for his demeanor, he’s social and curious and absolutely crazy about all food. Nothing about his demeanor has changed much since the stains started, except how intent he is on chewing furniture in the last week or so, but I don’t know if that’s a sign of teeth issues or him just getting more & more adjusted to our home, since we adopted him 2.5 months ago.

I tried touching and feeling his jaw and he REALLY didn’t want/let me even get close. I don’t remember him acting like that just a few weeks ago. Could that be a sign of an abscess or tooth issues?

• DanaNM
            8935 posts Send Private Message

Hmmm my instinct was veggie juice as well, but his avoidance of jaw touching makes me think a dental exam would be a good step to be on the safe side. Tooth issues would prob be the most likely cause.

My white bunnies get gross looking mouths right as they start molting. I think the base of the fur around the mouth gets more stained, and then as that fur grows out it looks more dirty. Then it falls out and they look clean again (aside from some lighter green staining).

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Green matted stains around rabbit’s mouth HELP