Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Greasy fur?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • DaisyMaisy
      Participant
      29 posts Send Private Message

I’ve noticed my buns fur looks a bit greasy. It doesn’t feel oily it just looks kind of damp and her fur is sticking together a bit. I didn’t notice it this morning before I left the house but i’ve just got back and it’s the first thing i noticed!

I asked if anyone’s been petting her with products or anything on their hands but don’t know if that would even make a difference?

Is it something to be concerned about as i tried google and said it could be a sign of a sick bunny but she’s still acting the same

• DanaNM
        8901 posts Send Private Message

What part of her fur? Could she have gotten into something? Did you inspect the skin under the greasy looking areas?

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• DaisyMaisy
            Participant

It’s greasy on her back and a bit on top of her head by her ears. I looked under it but it looks normal and not greasy? it’s just the top. and there’s nothing she could’ve gotten into except she likes to roll in her litter tray sometimes

• LBJ10
            16869 posts Send Private Message

Hmm… could the humidity by higher?

• DaisyMaisy
                Participant

i checked the humidity , it’s at 77% right now but it is normally around that or higher but i never noticed a difference in her fur.

• Wick & Fable
                5770 posts Send Private Message

I also am curious about where, as the grease may be a consequence of something else going on potentially, such as inability to groom, not keeping up with grooming, etc..

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• DaisyMaisy
                    Participant

i’m not sure if it’s got to do with grooming as she grooms herself whenever she gets the chance and watch her do it several times a day

• Bam
                    16836 posts Send Private Message

If someone has pet her with, like, freshly applied lotion on their hands, it could result in temporarily greasy fur. She’d be eager to groom it off in the areas she can reach though. The areas they cant reach to groom are the nape of the neck/between the shoulderblades, plus a spot right above the tail.

Dull unkempt fur does signify that something is wrong.

• DaisyMaisy
                      Participant

So, I decided to smell her to try figure out what it was and it smelt like air freshener. I cleaned her with a damp cloth and her fur looks normal now. I think she may have gotten under it whilst somebody sprayed but I did ask them to be more careful next time to make sure she’s not nearby. 😬

• Wick & Fable
                        5770 posts Send Private Message

Glad it sounds like the mystery is solved! Indeed, make sure she’s not around when spraying those items and keep the room well-ventilated as well. If there are concerns about the smell around rabbit stuff, you can try an air filter or changing up the cleaning routine frequency.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Bam
                          16836 posts Send Private Message

Oh, great detective work 😃

• DaisyMaisy
                            Participant

We do have an air purifier and her pen and litter gets cleaned out 3-4 times a week so there’s no issues with smell. The only time we usually spray the room is when it smells of food after a meal so that must of been how it happened but we all know to be extra careful next time! 😊

• LBJ10
                              16869 posts Send Private Message

Oh no! I’m glad you figured it out so you can try to avoid it next time.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Greasy fur?