Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Good Vibes Please!

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    • bunnyluvr
      Participant
      409 posts Send Private Message

Just to catch everyone up – for Thanksgiving a coworker of my hubby asked if we could bunny sit their outdoor bunny for them because they were going to be out of town for 10 days.  Well I fell absolutely in love with this amazing, sweet, special bun – he is so loving and affectionate and just wonderful! When it came time to send him back I just couldn’t do it.  This poor guy was 2 1/2 years old and always outside in a cage under a car port since he was a baby.  We live in Houston and the summers here are extremely hot and worse than that they left this poor guy out there during Hurricane Ike! Can you believe that?  It’s amazing to me he didn’t die of fright!  I just couldn’t send him back to that family and we ended up offering them $75 for him and they took it and now he is a wonderful addition to our family.  We named him Oreo (the family didn’t even name him, just called him “the rabbit” or “the bunny”) and he is a free range bunny (limited to the living room and kitchen) and seems to be very happy indeed. 

Anyway, the reason we need some good vibes is yesterday we were giving him a dry bath and a good brushing when we found a growth on the back of his leg.  It is about the size of a large pea, is pink and sore to the touch (my hubby touched it and he started grinding his teeth for about 5 mins before he stopped).  My husband and daughter are at the vet with him right now to have it checked out and I am really worried.  I keep trying to tell myself everything will be okay and that it’s probably nothing but it’s not working to good  So please send some good vibes our way and I will let you all know what the vet says as soon as I hear from hubby.  Thanks guys!!

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Oh, I’m so glad Oreo has a new home – it’s sad they didn’t take good care of him to not even name the poor guy.

Please let us know what the vet says and good vibes to Oreo.

• KatnipCrzy
          Participant
          2981 posts Send Private Message

Please keep us posted- I hope it is something easily treated!

Julie

• bunnyluvr
            Participant

Just got a call from hubby & daughter. The vet says that it’s some sort of cyst or fatty growth. She said that rabbits that live outside often get strange growths on them. She took a syringe sample of the bump and looked at it under the microscope and says she doesn’t see any cells. She said that even if it was benign cells would show up. She said we can remove it and have it tested to be extra careful but she doesn’t see anything that leads her to believe it’s cancerous and since it’s $150 to have it tested I think I may just have it removed and that’s it. She also gave him his first check up in his life and says everything looks great (including teeth) and that he’s very healthy! Yeah! Thanks for the good thoughts everyone!

• jerseygirl
              22345 posts Send Private Message

When I ws reading your initial post I thought “He will be alright – he will because he now has you and your famly” Honestly, whatever he faces now, he has the best chance because he lives with an attentive family and has good vet care. Glad to hear the news is good so far.

If you ever have the opportunity, talk about Oreo’s nature at work so that this co-worker gets an idea of what they missed out on. It may lead to a positive conversation where you can enlighten them to rabbits needs in case they ever think to get another rabbit.

• bunnyluvr
                Participant

He is such a wonderful rabbit, very curious and affectionate. In the evenings when I’m watching tv he will jump up on the couch with me for pets then he will curl up and go to sleep while I’m stroking him. I’ve never known a sweeter bunny. When I think of him being forgotten outside it makes me want to cry. My husband is the one with the co-worker and he’d been talking to her for awhile about how to take better care of him – to bring him inside, better quality pellets and fresh veggies (the only thing they did right was give him lots of hay-and he loves it!) and to get him off of the pine bedding. She would seem to listen, she would ask questions and everything but when he’d check back with her nothing had changed. Then Hurricane Ike hit and they left him outside under the car port and I was angry. I told my husband to try to talk her into letting us have him but the husband kept saying no. That’s why when we kept him over the Thanksgiving holiday and I saw what a wonderful bun he is I couldn’t let him go back. The day the family called my hubby so they could come and pick him up I started crying. I told my husband to offer them money for him and of course that’s what it took. Now he’s my sweetheart and I tend to spoil him because when I think how the first 2 1/2 years of his life was I figure he deserves a little spoiling.

• Sarita
                  Participant
                  18851 posts Send Private Message

He sounds so sweet and I’m sure he’s grateful to have a better life too.

Let us know how his surgery goes too.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                    Participant
                    12067 posts Send Private Message

Oh my gosh!!! That’s such a heart warming story!! My goodness he must be happy to have found you!!!!! *HUGS* give him some noserubs from me!!!
                      I’m glad the growth was nothing-that’s great news!

• bunnytowne
                      Participant
                      7537 posts Send Private Message

I love it when buns situations improve with a good family full of love for the bunny.  Left outside in a hurricane oh my.  Sounds like he is just eating up all that attention too.  Good for y’all

• BinkyBunny
                        8776 posts Send Private Message

Oh, how sweet! I am soooooo glad they ended up giving him to you…er well….let you pay for him, but either way I’m so glad they did. Now has a wonderful loving home!!! Do you have any photos?

• bunnyluvr
                          Participant

Thanks everyone. I feel so lucky to have found him. I don’t have a digital camera right now so the only pics I have of Oreo are on my phone and I have no idea how to get them from there to here. I only have 2 pics right now because whenever I try to take a pic of him he gets all exited and starts running all around, honking and bouncing about! He’s intact and very randy! I plan on having him neutered when I have the growth removed – I just need to get about $180 together.

• Sage Cat
                            Participant
                            1883 posts Send Private Message

Surviving a hurricane – that is one tough bunny!
                              So glad he is going to be okay.

• hoops&yoyo
                              Participant
                              36 posts Send Private Message

YAY for Oreo! He sounds like he is eating up all the love and attention you are giving him and he so deserves!

GRRRR – I can’t believe they actually TOOK money from you!!! The didn’t even NAME him!!! Left him outside IN A HURRICANE!!! It kills me to think of pets in situations where they are not wanted or cared for properly – not of their own choosing.

Thank God you were persistent and got him out of that situation! Yay, yay oreo!!!

• Walder
                                Participant
                                51 posts Send Private Message

Posted By hoops&yoyo on 04/16/2009 08:21 AM
                                  YAY for Oreo! He sounds like he is eating up all the love and attention you are giving him and he so deserves!

GRRRR – I can’t believe they actually TOOK money from you!!! The didn’t even NAME him!!! Left him outside IN A HURRICANE!!! It kills me to think of pets in situations where they are not wanted or cared for properly – not of their own choosing.

Thank God you were persistent and got him out of that situation! Yay, yay oreo!!!

They should be glad they didnt ask for more…most people “arent human” ya know?! Thats how it is unfortunaly…

• Beka27
                                  Participant
                                  16016 posts Send Private Message

When and WHY did they get this bunny?  Was he for “Easter”?  This is something that really irks me, the number of buns dumped at Shelters after Easter is horrendous, but AT LEAST THEY HAVE A CHANCE!!!  This poor guy had no chance.  They kept him but didn’t give a hoot about him, so he just had to sit and waste away…   It really makes me want to cry.

Thank you so much for saving him from those HORRID PEOPLE! That’s awful how they treated him! They should have given him to you for free! But no matter, he’s safe now and being loved/cared for! Yay for you! Yay for Oreo!  The very best pets seem to be the ones who came from hardship, they really know how good they have.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Good Vibes Please!