Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE good news about baby bun

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
    • babybunsmum
      Participant
      3896 posts Send Private Message

an update… i just got  call from my vet & baby has made it thru surgery!  she is in recovery and is being a trooper & leaving her little IV alone so she can stay hydrated.  still don’t know what the mass is (they have a lab on-site so hopefully that info will be avail soon) but i do know she’ll have a 3 inch scar!  the vet said she does internal stitches so there will only be a ridge of skin to indicate where the stitches are burried.  pretty amazing!  didn’t know they do that. 

she said that the mass was pretty ugly and had several veins thru it which needed to be tied off.  ick.  ‘ugly’ doesn’t sound good.  if the mass is cancerous i wonder how she could’ve had it for so long without any spreading?  definitely a question for the vet when i go to pick up my girl at 6:20.  can hardly wait to see her!  i hope my head can absorb all the post-op care stuff.  it’s pretty full in there right now!

thanks again for all the well wishes & good bunny vibes

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Yay, I’m so glad she made it through. Let us know what the vet said too.

Continued healing vibes to Baby Bun.

• Thumpers_Mom
          Participant
          171 posts Send Private Message

I am sooo happy to hear that she made it through. Keep us posted!

((((((((hugs))))))))

• Martie
            Participant
            82 posts Send Private Message

aww, I hope she recovers well.

• sarah bowden
              Participant
              85 posts Send Private Message

Oh I hope baby has a quick recovery. She will probobly start to feel better as soon as she sees you!

• babybunsmum
                Participant

another update… i called in an hour ago to hear how baby was doing (they said i was welcomed to call in and so i just couldn’t help myself) and she’s doing well!  she did chew off her IV tube earlier and hasn’t been interested in eating yet.  but she was hopping around and curious about her surroundings which sounds good to me. 

i only have an hour left before i get to see her & bring her home!  hopefully she has nibbled on something by then.  of course, i’ll be asking about syringes & ‘critical care’ as suggested yesterday in any case.  thank goodness for this forum… i’d of bored all my non-bunny friends & family to tears by now!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                  Participant
                  12067 posts Send Private Message

Yeah!! All good news for Baby! Only one extra call-that’s not bad at all! You’re very brave!
                    Keep us posted! Sending *vibes* for Baby!!

• Gravehearted
                    Participant
                    2428 posts Send Private Message

ooo I am so glad you posted the updates. I would be calling several times a day, especially right after a surgery like that.
                      Glad you’ll be asking about the critical care and syringes, but am hoping she’ll be eating on her own soon. Are they sending any pain meds home with you?

Please let us know how she’s doing.

• Scarlet_Rose
                      Participant
                      4293 posts Send Private Message

I’m so glad to hear about Baby. Well wishes and good bunny healing vibes, let us know when you hear about the mass.  It’s fantastic that she is doing so well and already moving around and rambunxious enough to chew off the IV.

• babybunsmum
                        Participant

well my darling is home!  yay!  she’s groggy but her personality is shining right through.  as soon as i put her in her carry case to bring home she started rearranging the soft t-shirt i put in for her to lay on.  dig dig dig.  she’s so sweet… she’ll be grooming one of her back thumpers like everything’s totally normal but then fall asleep!  big back thumper right up beside her chin & all.  then 20 sec later she’ll resume grooming as tho she hadn’t even stopped.  at least i hope that grogginess! 

i’m using her carry case as a temp litter so she doesn’t have to jump into her cage.  had to close her cage so she wouldnt try to jump in and hang her water & pellet dish on the outside instead hoping that she’d figure out whats going on.  i haven’t seen her drinking / eating pellets but she did go over there and stand up tall to sniff out that her cage was closed off.  then she promptly scooted into the carry case.  hopefully it was to pee or poop!  i’ll go check soon… was giving her some space since i already had to handle her to give her eye drops & baytril.  since she’s been home she ate a couple of blueberries and she was eating and pooping at the vets too.   of course as soon as she got into the carry case to come home she had a big pee!

they won’t have results on the mass for another couple of days.  she has a 3 inch long scar that looks SO nice compared to the awful sore that was there before.  i’m sure this is the first time they got a big smile out of a client when they showed them the incision line!  baby’s a little bit anemic & her red blood count was slightly low (likely due to the anemia) which they attribute to blood loss from the mass.  also one of her kidneys had something a bit off (crea – whatever that is) but they attributed this to her being slightly dehydrated from all her xray / pre-surgery drama.

they gave me metacam to give her daily doses for a few days… the doses are pre-measured in syringes.  no ‘critcal care’ was given to me since she was eating already but they told me it was available if she wasnt eating at home.  and we need to book a follow up appt for them to check & see if her kidney and red blood cell count is back to normal.   i have a page of instructions for post-op care, a page of instructions about the pain meds, and another whole page with her test results.  oi.  talk about information overload!

so there you have it!  an incredibly long post from a very relieved bunny slave  … if you’ve read all the way through that – wow – you rock!  lol.

cheers!!!

• Bunnies4ever
                          Participant
                          368 posts Send Private Message

I’ve been following this post closely and I’m so relieved that she’s home and doing well. It looks lilke she’s on the road to a wonderful recovery. And I’m sure she’s just as happy to be home as you are having her there! She’s been through a lot, but I’m sure she’ll be fine having a wonderful bunny mom like you! Keep us posted on her progress.

• Spacehopper
                            Participant
                            540 posts Send Private Message

My eyes are welling up – first through being scared and concerned for the little lovely, and now through plain ol’ “PHEWF! WHOOHOOO!”

• Beka27
                              Participant
                              16016 posts Send Private Message

i’m so happy she’s acting more like herself!  heal quick ,sweetie!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                Participant
                                12067 posts Send Private Message

Yeah!! Baby bun! Sounds like she is doing great!

• xnovalentine
                                  Participant
                                  309 posts Send Private Message

yay! almost better! dont stress out too much about the post-op care — you’ll do it all great im sure! warm healing wishes to you both!!!

• babybunsmum
                                    Participant

baby is doing well i think… her poops were a little wierd sized & shaped maybe due to a diff diet the day before?  i’m supposed to be checking for metacam side effects & loose dropping is one.  and i haven’t actually spotted her drinking tho she’s peed a few times.  the vet’s office called this morning to check in & i mentioned this.  dr. burhows is in surgery now but will call back to advise.

here are a souple of ‘post-op’ pics (i think anyways… been having trouble posting them today).  her scar is less red today as it should be.  i just heard her moving about… i have to spy & hopefully i spot her drinking!

thanks again for your encouragement & well wishes!  it has helped me sooo much

11115493828971.JPG
                                      11115493839954.jpg

• Sarita
                                      Participant
                                      18851 posts Send Private Message

Bless her heart! I’m so glad you have a good vet and a good bunny mommy to take good care of her. Alot times they get weird poops from the medications and anesthesia.

• skunklionshow
                                        Participant
                                        1257 posts Send Private Message

So glad to hear she’s doing well.  I’m sure that many buns will be very "envious" of that big scar…it makes her look like such a bad ass!  Oops can I say that?

• Scarlet_Rose
                                          Participant

Oh the little darling! Such sweetness and what a trooper! If she isn’t drinking much water you may want to try soaking a few veggies in it and offering them to her. Pedialyte has also been used but I would love to hear what the vet suggests as well.  Also, try marking her water bottle with tape and see if the level changes. Sometimes it can be hard to tell by just "eyeing it." How much and what is she eating?

• babybunsmum
                                            Participant

today at lunch she let me feed her a handful of carrot tops… i kept holding them out & she kept taking them!  then i thought about putting some water in a margarine container lid and stood some little chunks of celery in it.  she ate about 1 1/2 stalks of celery this way!  i figured thats wet enough to hydrate her a little… glad to have that idea backed up Scarlet_Rose -thanks!  i’ll definitely try some other veggies too & be sure she’s getting something.  good point about the water level.  the bottle actually has levels on it so i’ll go & note where its at before bedtime.

she has also been munching on hay & some pellets here & there.  seems to be eating really well!  her poops are looking more normal tonight but wierd thing… she’s eating ALL of them.  not just the cecal ones.  whats up with that?  should i be preventing this?

i’m so happy  … tonight i was laying on the floor watching her groom and she hopped on over to me to say hello.  then she nudged her sonotube back  forth a couple of times for fun.  her eyes look bright & she’s moving about allbeit slowly.  i missed the vet’s call back today (had to squeeze in getting some work done to pay their bill!) but i will call first thing in the morning. 

• Scarlet_Rose
                                              Participant

That is such wonderful news!  Vegetables contain quite a bit of water too, so she is getting at least some when she is eating the vegetables but that is great you got her to consume more! What a sweetheart, it sounds like she is going to be just fine.

• MooBunnay
                                                Participant
                                                3087 posts Send Private Message

Yay! I’m so glad she’s doing well!! She must be so happy to have that mass of of her, it was probably making it tough for her to walk around and such. I have not heard of a rabbit eating all their poops before…you might want to ask the vet about that as well. Maybe it is just a bit of a nervous habit as she’s feeling a bit funny right now? Maybe it would be a good idea to take some of them out of the cage just in case she’s not supposed to be eating them. It sounds like she’s well on the road to recovery!

• babybunsmum
                                                  Participant
                                                    Posted By MooBunnay on 11/17/2007 7:55 AM
                                                    Maybe it would be a good idea to take some of them out of the cage just in case she’s not supposed to be eating them. It sounds like she’s well on the road to recovery!

i was wondering about doing that… i thought maybe the meds were clouding her head up a bit.   her litter box has a grill floor so her business drops down and she can’t get to them… but the day of her surgery & the next day, she wasn’t pooping in there at all.  i think because i had modified it to be more accessable (wouldn’t have to jump to get in) she was confused / upset & just went on the mat beside the litter.  i’ve been checking in on her frequently so i can sweep up any droppings and move them to her litter.  i mentioned this to the vet assistant on the phone & she wasn’t sure what to make of it.  i’ll surely be asking about it in baby’s checkup this wed…  i’m not worried so much as curious now. 

baby is definitely diggin’ the cool scar as opposed to the ugly mass.  it developed so gradually i didn’t realize how much it slowed her down… poor dear!  glad to have that past us.  this weekend i’m working on her ‘bunny fun house’… can’t wait to see if she likes it!

• Gravehearted
                                                    Participant
                                                    2428 posts Send Private Message

I am so glad to hear it sounds like she’s on her way to making a good recovery – a healthy appetite is always a positive sign. I’m not sure about her eating all of her poops either, so it seems like a good idea to ask the vet at her appointment.

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE good news about baby bun