Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A GI stasis in Charlie

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
    • Cassi&Charlie
      Participant
      1260 posts Send Private Message

Charlie has had an eventful few days. On Wednesday night he stopped eating & pooing and nothing, including his favourite treats, could get the usual glutton to start eating again. The emergency vet gave me a syringe and told me to force feed him a pellet mixture when I saw them really early Wed morning.

I didn’t feed him the pellet mixture cause I knew that it was pellets that rpobably cause his gas in the first place, and he had a mass in his stomach that I didn’t want to add to the mass while he wasn’t pooing. I thought it was obvious that his gut wasn’t moving but the emergency vet seemed indifferent to my opinion and Charlie’s health.

Thurs morning at 8am I rushed him to my usual vet, who immediately hospitalised him and began giving him fluids and maxolon, as well as metacam. By evening he still hadn’t pooed or eaten so they gave him some more maxolon and sent him home with us. They close overnight & said it was better for us to have him incase anything happened and in case he didn’t make it.

He finally pooed at about 9pm Thurs night but is still eating really infrequently and he hasn’t pooed since then. I took him to the vet this morning for another maxolon shot & he’s getting one tonight as well but I’m obviously concerned about my baby. Poor little guy is feeling ok but very tired, and doesn’t seem to have the strength to eat. Lucky he has Layla to love him & encourage him so I’m hopeful that he’ll be ok. The vet said that it was really serious last night but after he pooed last night, she seemed to think he was going to be ok.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
        Participant
        12067 posts Send Private Message

{{ VIBES}} Good for you for taking him to the vet strait away-that makes a difference. Please keep us posted!

• jerseygirl
          22345 posts Send Private Message

Cassi, I’m so sorry to hear this! Hopefully things have come good by now. I’ve become familiar with metacam through this board but never maxolon for rabbits. I know it a anti-nausea/vommiting drug for humans. Did they tell you what it does for rabbits?

Come on Charlie boy – please get better!!!!!!!!

• Cassi&Charlie
            Participant

They said it was for gas & that it would make him feel better. He does seem a bit better n he’s looking happier. He was ok enough to chase down Layla when she bugged him & pull out a tuft of fur. (they really do like each other, just sometimes it’s not that obvious)

• osprey
              Participant
              2065 posts Send Private Message

{{{ Charlie }}} Stasis can take a little while to get over, as long as several weeks. It seems like your vets are on top of the situation, which is good. Please let us know how he is doing.

• LittlePuffyTail
                18092 posts Send Private Message

{{{{Vibes for Charlie}}}}}} I know first hand how hard it is to deal with a statis. Hang in there.

• LittlePuffyTail

My bunny Bindi just went through this earlier this week. Luckily, he recovered quickly.

• jerseygirl

Phew! If he’s chasing Layla and not hiding in a corner, then things must be getting better. I woke this morning wondering and after getting a coffee (must come first!) I logged on for update. Scary how attached I’m becoming to other peoples buns! I can’t imagine the anxiety you must be feeling. Hang in there and keep us updated.

• Cassi&Charlie
                      Participant

Well he took a turn for the worst yesterday, so the vet began to talk about x-rays to see what was actually blocking his stomach but when they felt him gut, it was apparently further down.

They told me to give him 1ml of parafin every three hours and as much pineapple juice as he would take. Somewhat skeptically I did this and would you know it, not even 3 hours after the 1st dose of parrafin and pineapple he pooped a massive, malformed (or unformed) runny black poop. After that he steadily got better and right now he seems back to his normal state.

The vets (bless them!) told me that there was no medical evidence that this worked but antedotal evidence was everywhere. I can’t believe something so simple worked when they were beginning to warn me that he was looking really bad and that he probably wouldn’t survive.

Charlie & I bought them a massive bunch of flowers for taking a chance, and suggesting something a little odd because otherwise he wouldn’t be lounging on the couch right now! He’d probably be crossing the rainbow bridge…

• jerseygirl

Wow! First I’ve heard of that! 1ml isn’t very much either. Glad he’s doing better Cassi

• MimzMum
                          Participant
                          8029 posts Send Private Message

Paraffin? Isn’t that a flammable liquid?? Now that is an odd prescription! I wonder what there was about it that helped?

Sounds like the poor little guy was pretty bad off. I am glad to hear this appears to be resolved. I pray it won’t happen again!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                            Participant
                            12067 posts Send Private Message

OMG when I first read about hiim taking a turn for the worst I was really worried!! I’m so glad he pooped that gunk right out! Very nice of you to buy the vet flowers {{ VIBES }} for continued recovery and future health

• LittlePuffyTail

So glad Charlie is doing better. You are lucky to have such caring vets.

Parraffin? I’m wondering if that’s similar to Parraffin Wax I use to make Christmas chocolates?

• Moonlight_Wolf
                                Participant
                                1155 posts Send Private Message

Just a question, is GI Stasis very common? I really don’t want Fern to get it…

I am happy charlie is doing better though!

• osprey
                                  Participant
                                  2065 posts Send Private Message

Yes, Midnight_Wolf, many bunnies develop stasis at some point in their lives. One of my bunnies got it after ingesting a bunch of carpet fibers, sometimes it is stress related, sometimes it is caused by another problem like a tooth problem. This is why high fiber from hay is so important to a bunny’s health, it keeps their system running smoothly and help keep their intestines moving properly.

• Scarlet_Rose
                                    Participant
                                    4293 posts Send Private Message

Feel better Charlie. Cassi, I hope you are holding out O.K. too, it is really stressful on us bunny parents too! Did the first vet check the stomach to see if it was gas?

• Cassi&Charlie
                                      Participant

Yep, at 1st they did think it was just gas so they gave him medication for that and hospitalised him until he pooped and ate, except he didn’t poop or eat so after a few hours they decided it was stasis.

Little bugger gave me a huge fright! We all actually thought he was going to die and we were preparing for it (as if you actually can!)

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A GI stasis in Charlie