Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Gi Stasis Again

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Ivana
      Participant
      35 posts Send Private Message

So Mrvica got GI again yesterday. She stopped eating in the evening and started hiding and stomach pressing. Literally 2 weeks haven’t gone since her last vet appointment. I took her again this morning she gave her reglan and buscopan like always but she also told me there might be something other than furballs in her stomach so I’m taking her for an x-ray on Monday for teeth and abdomen picture. Hopefully there isn’t any major problem but it’s really strange for GI to happen again 1.5 week later. I was thinking to buy baby gas drops just in case if she doesn’t get better because tomorrow is Sunday and the vets don’t work. What do you think might be the problem behind these 2 sequential GI episodes? I’m really concerned.

• Bam
        16877 posts Send Private Message

I’m sorry she had a relapse. Taking her for x rays and a dental exam sounds like a good plan. As you know, GI stasis is often a symptom of something else,but that doesnt really narrow things down.

It could be that the GI episode from 1.5 weeks ago never quite resolved. It’s not rare for a bun to have relapses. But it is of course important to try and find out what’s actually going on.

Has she been drooling again?

• Ivana
          Participant

I’m really scared to take her for an x-ray because they may give her sedative or anesthetic and I don’t know how she will be recovering. Yesterday I gave her baby gas drops and she was immediately better. She hadn’t pooped all day after the vet and the day before and I thought I might as well try gas drops at this point. She had a little diarrhea after the drops but then she was back at normal pooping and eating. Now she seems relaxed and good, doesn’t seem to me like she’s in pain. She hasn’t drooled since last Friday (10.9) and her chin was totally dry and the fur started growing back, but 15 minutes ago I noticed she was a little wet under the chin right after drinking water. This situation is really making me sad and nervous because I know it’s not a tooth problem or she would be displaying pain and drooling all the time. Also i don’t think it’s some sort of bacteria because again she wouldn’t stop drooling and her chin would go green (I’ve read that on google). I’ve also read that many owners of lionheads have this drooling/wet chin problem because of the long fur of the bunny and constantly dipping the fur in the water bowl, but it’s strange because Mrvica is drinking from a bowl for more than a year and she started drooling now.

• Bam

I’m glad the gas drops worked! It is very good for uncomplicated bouts of gas. I hope she’s still ok. Getting a little wet from drinking isnt abnormal.

• Ivana
              Participant

She’s great! Also I’ve changed her water bowl to a lower one and I haven’t noticed wet chin since then.

• Bam

Oh, lovely!

I have a small-ish cat waterbowl for my bun, its lower on one side so it’s easier to drink from. Didn’t think of that before, great that changing the waterbowl has made a difference!

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Gi Stasis Again