Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Getting My Rabbit Fixed

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • MySweetPea
      Participant
      18 posts Send Private Message

So I just called and set up an appointment to have my rabbit fixed next month. The woman said that I should not give him any food the night before starting around 8pm, his appointment is the next morning. I know that he should always have food, so what should I do? Will it hurt him if he does have food up until I take him to the vet? Thank you

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

No, that is incorrect. I find that many times the receptionist do not give the right answer (don’t let that be a reflection on the vet though). Rabbits do not fast. Have you spoken to this vet before? Does he/she have experience with rabbits?

• Kokaneeandkahlua
          Participant
          12067 posts Send Private Message

Completely ditto Sarita.

I’d call back and ask the clerk to couble check with the vet to ensure they are supposed to be fasted. If the vet says to fast, run dont’ walk to find another vet they should never be fasted-there is no need, and it’s dangerous.

Like Sarita said-could just be the clerk-they may not know.

• katie, max & penny
            Participant
            956 posts Send Private Message

agreed with the wise ladies above me. rabbits can’t vomit so there’s no need for fasting.

• Desma
              Participant
              182 posts Send Private Message

That is correct. Since rabbits do not vomit, there is no need for no allowing them to have food.

• MySweetPea
                Participant
                18 posts Send Private Message

The vet I’m taking him to also fixed one of my guinea pigs about a year ago. She is highly recommended, She did a great job on my pig. I think it just may have been the receptionist. I just wanted to make sure. Thank you!

• Sarita
                  Participant
                  18851 posts Send Private Message

Yes, if she can fix a piggy, then I’m certain she can fix a rabbit too :~)

• bunnycutie
                    Participant
                    549 posts Send Private Message

ohhhh sorry this is so unrealated by my guinea pig haad sugery to remove a scist once. he had to fast. i dont know if they can throw up or not, so was the fasting necessary? anyone know?

• RabbitPam
                      11002 posts Send Private Message

I don’t know for sure, but I expect the fasting may have been related to the location of the cyst.

As for the neuter, please ask to speak to the vet before the surgery and quietly inform her that the receptionist gave you misinformation. That we she can correct the receptionist and prevent any future mishaps, as well as telling you that it isn’t necessary. If she says you should have the bunny fast, she’s not the best vet in town after all!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                        Participant
                        12067 posts Send Private Message

Guinea pigs can’t throw up (hence the term ‘be my guinea pig’ they test things on rats/guinea pigs, because they cannot throw up, so you know the whole dose of whatever was processed)
                          As rabbitpam said-it could be related to where the cyst was

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Getting My Rabbit Fixed