Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Getting a bunny soon I hope!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Picksgirl
      Participant
      23 posts Send Private Message

Hi all.  I’m new here having never owned a bunny before.  I have been doing a ton of research on caring for bunnies so that I am well prepared for when I finally get mine.  There is one I’m interested in adopting that I hope to go see today.

I need to build bunny a cage.  I want to use those wire grid cubes.  I’m in Ontario, Canada if anybody can tell me where I can purchase them.  What things should I keep in mind when building the cage?  What kind of flooring to use in it?  Does it need to be closed off at the top or can I just leave it open?

Thx for any tips and suggestions.  Hope to join you all soon with a new bunny to love!

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
        Participant
        2517 posts Send Private Message

Welcome to BB!

There are a few members from Canada who can hopefully answer your first question! Wish I could help.

As far as the cage goes, most people opt for carpet for flooring. You can buy carpet for cheap at many places (many carpet sellers have scrap that they will sell and others offer by the foot for reasonable prices). You may want to wait for carpet until the bunny is litter trained and use an alternative surface like Coroplast (a type of plastic material available at sign stores) in the meantime.

A cage with an open top can work fine… it would be set up like a playpen. Just make sure it is tall enough that the rabbit cannot jump up and escape.

• MooBunnay
          Participant
          3087 posts Send Private Message

Hello & welcome picksgirl!

My bunnies have carpet as their flooring – I find it easy to vacuum up any loose furs off of carpet, and if you use the kind of carpet that they make carpet squares out of, its really easy to use some vinegar to clean up accidental pee spots. My bunny’s cages do not have lids – though occasionally I have come home to a bunny scampering about my apartment because he or she has decided to hop out! I think as long as the cage around the bunny is at least 2-3′ high the bun will not be able to get out.

Where are you going to get your bunny from? I would definitely recommend a rescue bunny because the rescue will help you pick out a bunny with the temperament that you prefer, and also, they will be able to give you a bunny that has already been fixed which is a lot of help both behavior-wise, and financially. Also, a rescue provides a knowledgeable network you can have whenever you have questions about your bunny.

• BunMumTiff
            Participant
            241 posts Send Private Message

Walmart sells the grids they are not the cheapest I will elt ya know but they are about 20 bucks for 10 or 12 I think.

• Lion_Lop_Lover
              Participant
              971 posts Send Private Message

Hey there!

I’m in New Brunswick, and I was able to find the Grids at Wal Mart in the Storage section … 13 panels for $17.97 (canadian)…

I bought 2 cases and made a 3 panels long by two panels wide, and then 2 panels high cage

• skunklionshow
                Participant
                1257 posts Send Private Message

We just added an addition to Jessica’s cage now that Leo has moved in.  We have the top open, that way I can pet them good night w/ ease.  I have their water bottle and pellet bowl screwed into the grids.  I think it came out pretty good…unfortunately its a little lop sided b/c I didn’t count the grids correctly.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Getting a bunny soon I hope!