Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Get off your sister!!! Humping at 2.5 months…pls read..

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • Lion_Lop_Lover
      Participant
      971 posts Send Private Message

Hey guys

I have my lovely bonded pair of brother/sister Holland Lops. They are pretty much exactly 2.5 months old today. I’ve been keeping a close eye on any sexual behaviour…but obviously I have to wait for sexual maturity, and I don’t want to separate them as they are so beautifully bonded.

However, little boy started humping his sister tonight. I lifted him off of her to find he was fully erect and that his testicles have started to descend.

I know he won’t be ready to be snipped for another 2-4 weeks, correct? Minimum age most vets do it 3 months?

At what age will females get pregnant? I hear 4-6 months tossed around. I really hope that his little humpy bunny antics don’t get his sister pregnant….>_>

What do you guys think?

• Kokaneeandkahlua
        Participant
        12067 posts Send Private Message

oh noes…what a predicament…(sp?)
          You don’t want to seperate them, but if you don’t….darn…
          I have no advice but will humbly hope for no inbred bunnies…I’d say soon one of our moderators will be around and can help you…Does he have his appt. to be neutered yet?

• Lion_Lop_Lover
          Participant

Definitely a predicament! LOL. I’ve heard the likelihood of getting a female pregnant is slim until the males are about 4-5 months old, and that females will be unreceptive until 5-6 months? *is crossing her fingers anyway*

I’ve not made his appointment to be neutered as I was waiting for his testicles to descend and was told the minimum age for neutering with most vets is 3-4 months…

Suppose I should make the call soon…!

• MooBunnay
            Participant
            3087 posts Send Private Message

Hello!

I would recommend separating them now, the age that I have researched is that females can get pregnant as young as 3 months old. To keep them from losing their bond, consider just putting some kind of netting or neat idea cube separator between the two of them so that they can still sleep next to each other and see each other. While you’re probably still safe for another couple weeks, I’d stay on the cautious side because not only could it result in an unwanted litter, but its quite dangerous for females to be pregnant at that young of an age. When you bring the boy in for his neuter, you can also bring the girl in and just have the vet do a quick check to see if she is pregnant, then the vet can make some recommendations of what to do if she is. Also, bringing both bunnies in together will help them calm each other down on the “scary” vet trip!

• MarkBun
              Participant
              2842 posts Send Private Message
                When you bring the boy in for his neuter, you can also bring the girl in and just have the vet do a quick check to see if she is pregnant, then the vet can make some recommendations of what to do if she is. Also, bringing both bunnies in together will help them calm each other down on the "scary" vet trip!

But make sure they travel in seperate boxes.

• Gravehearted
                Participant
                2428 posts Send Private Message

I’d agree with Moobunnay – it’s much better to separate them now than to risk a possible litter. Bunnies can get pregnant as young as 3 months, and it doesn’t matter if their related 🙁 Boys can be neutered as soon as their testicles drop, which is usually around 3 1/2 months or so – but if he’s small some vets might want to wait until he’s a bit older. The only important thing to consider is that he’ll have viable sperm for 4 weeks after being neutered!

Your bunny girl should be ready around 4 months, but the vet might encourage her to wait until 5 months

• Lion_Lop_Lover
                  Participant

OK…

I took the boy out and did some thorough investigation…

He had testicle sacs, but they are completely pancaked…
                    In comparison, Yuuki, my 5 month old male has quite round, egg shaped testicles.

Does the fact that my Lop baby has pancakes and no feelable testicles a good sign? Like, I squeezed, prodded, pulled on his little pink flaps on either side of his penis and there was NOTHING in them…nothing…

So I would assume then they have not descended?

• Beka27
                    Participant
                    16016 posts Send Private Message

wow… upon seeing this thread, my first thought was… thank god this is a rabbit forum… lol

but seriously… i would call your vet tomorrow or wednesday and tell him what happened… maybe he can set up an appt to check him very soon and he’ll tell you the soonest you can have the surgery done.

• Scarlet_Rose
                      Participant
                      4293 posts Send Private Message

Oh my poor lop baby has been accosted! Actually, the "pancakes" or sacks are the scrotum and they hold the testes and yes, would be filled out and egg-shaped by their presence if they were there.  So, it sounds like they have not descended yet but definately have the vet check, it’s hard to say for sure without examining the rabbit.

So definately separate them as he is displaying signs of sexual maturity, but use just a panel to keep him at bay. I also wanted to add that by taking them both to the vet they will both know where the other one left to and you won’t have to cope with one bun shunning the other because they "smell different" from the vets office. Best of luck and let us know what the vet says!

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Get off your sister!!! Humping at 2.5 months…pls read..