Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Gentamicin / Betamethasone Topical Spray for Rabbits?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Oliver_Rabbit
      Participant
      12 posts Send Private Message

After discovering that my bun had some inflamed skinned on his upper arm, my vet prescribed a Gentamicin/Betamethasone topical spray. I couldn’t find much online about its use on rabbits, and am a little concerned that he will lick it when applied. I just don’t want him to experience any negative side effects (e.g. upset stomach/diarrhea). Has anyone ever been given this to use before?

• Bam
        16877 posts Send Private Message

Both Medirabbit and The House Rabbit Society warns about the use of gentamicin in rabbits. Medirabbit says best avoided, the HRS says use with extreme caution.

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Antibiotics/Safe_antibiotics.htm

Gentamycin +betamethasone spray is good for dogs, but I think perhaps there could be some better option for rabbits. Corticosteroids (betamehasone) should generally be avoided in rabbits, but can be given in some instances.

Triple antibiotic ointment/neosporin (plain, i e without an added painkiller) is safe for topical use in rabbits. It doesnt have a corticosteroid component (betamethasone) though.

What did the vet think is the cause of the skin inflammation?

• Oliver_Rabbit
            Participant

They’re not sure honestly. I also took him to another vet for a second opinion and they prescribed 0.5 mg dexamethasone tablets, which doesn’t seem like a better option as it’s a steroid. I did end up administering the spray last night and he seems to be doing fine today, but I’m still hesitant, especially given the link you provided. It is looking better.

• Oliver_Rabbit
            Participant

Any thoughts on Vetericyn Plus?

• Bam

Vetericyn Plus seems very good for rabbits. We have one member that uses it for their elderbun, as prescribed by their vet. I’ve never used it myself but I have it on my list of potentially very useful meds. You could perhaps try it since it is OTC.

Dexamethasone pills doesnt seem like a grest option for a bun, I agree. Oral corticosteroids are sometimes prescribed  buns that have incurable cancer, but it’s still considered a last resort drug when it comes to rabbits.

• Oliver_Rabbit
                  Participant

I did end up buying some and it seems to be helping!

Yeah that’s what I’ve read as well and was surprised that she even prescribed it. To be fair, while they do see exotics, I believe their speciality is more dogs/cats.

• LBJ10
                  16908 posts Send Private Message

Some things are “less bad” when used topically. For example, an eye drop containing a steroid is going to be less worrisome than an oral steroid. We used eye drops containing a steroid for one of my buns because we couldn’t to get the inflammation down. Steroids are definitely a last resort, especially oral steroids. But I wouldn’t be as worried about a topical steroid if its use is warranted.

I’m curious though… what exactly was the diagnosis? Topical steroids are generally not prescribed for skin irritation. The only time they might be used is if a rabbit was completely covered in some kind of mites or mange and the itching was unbearable for the rabbit.

• Oliver_Rabbit
                      Participant

Both vets could not give a definitive answer, but immediately ruled out mites or injury. They suggested that it might’ve been dry skin that was further irritated by him constantly touching it. I do have a follow up later this evening, but it’s looking a lot better and the fur is starting to grow back.

• Bam

If the cause isnt systemic, ie due to some sort of illness, f ex a autoimmune ailment,  Vetericyn seems like a great option. Would be lovely if it works!

Pets really can aggravate stuff by constantly messing with it. If you end up having to use the gentamycin spray, I’d consider an e collar (my rabbit savvy vet recommends using a DIY e collar made of a paper saucer). Its probably a rather ok med if used topically, its ingestion that could be bad.

• Oliver_Rabbit
                        Participant

Thanks Bam and LBJ10 for all of your advice! I just got back from the follow-up, and they were surprised by the amount of fur that’s grown back and how good it’s looking. I don’t believe it’s systemic, but was rather an isolated issue, as you said aggravated by him constantly messing with it. With that being said, I probably won’t use the gentamycin spray and just continue with the Vetericyn for another day or so. While I hope something like this doesn’t happen again, the DIY paper saucer collar is a tool I will keep in mind!

• Ana William
                          Participant
                          17 posts Send Private Message

Gentamicin and betamethasone are both commonly used in veterinary medicine, and they can be effective in treating certain types of skin infections and inflammation in rabbits. However, it’s important to use these medications as directed by your veterinarian, as they can have potential side effects if used improperly.

It’s true that rabbits have a tendency to groom themselves and could ingest the medication, so it’s important to keep an eye on your rabbit and make sure he doesn’t lick the area where the spray has been applied. You can use an Elizabethan collar to prevent him from licking the area, or you can apply the medication when he is occupied with something else and not grooming himself.

It is also important to keep in mind that gentamicin is an antibiotic and it could lead to antibiotic resistance if overused or used without the supervision of a veterinarian.

It is also important to follow your veterinarian’s instructions for the duration of treatment, and to report any side effects or changes in your rabbit’s condition to your vet right away. If you have any concerns or questions about using this medication, I would recommend discussing them with your veterinarian to ensure the best possible outcome for your rabbit.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Gentamicin / Betamethasone Topical Spray for Rabbits?