Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Gates to keep Bunny confined?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • Moonlight_Wolf
      Participant
      1155 posts Send Private Message

Hi does anyone have any suggestions of a good gate that I can use for my Holland lop Bunny? She is small and will only get to be about 3lb, I saw some gates but the discriptions said that thespace between each bar was 2.5 in. Is that too wide? will she get stuck between the bars. Asy suggestions of what I could get? I want it to be Metal (of course ,or else fern would have a lovely time chewing wood) and I would like it to be one of those walkthrough gates. I saw a few I liked but I am not shure about the spacing between the bars…. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

• JK
        Participant
        2223 posts Send Private Message

I think 2.5 inches is too wide.  I just measured the xpen space and it is 1.5 inches wide which is a good spacing.  I guess an xpen is just too long unless you took it apart. I would not get anything made of plastic because of course she may chew through that.

• bunnytowne
          Participant
          7537 posts Send Private Message

I have a metal one and my small buns 3lbs can go thru the metal one.  I have put a big cloth around it and penned it off at the top and sides. That holds them in. Now they could chew thru that so far they haven’t gotten out of it. I do see 2 chew holes .   Or you could get some plywood and attach it to the metal by tying it on with good string or rope. That would keep them in. Now the girls got smart and starting pushing the corners and would get out that way. So I switched to an xpen.   If you get one you can open and close those are real neat and work great. Again find a way to block the spaces between the bars so your little friend can’t get out.

• ADEE
            Participant
            499 posts Send Private Message

we use a baby gate to keep our girls inside the living room at night… otherwise they are housed in a NIC cage with 1×1 inch spaces

• Moonlight_Wolf
              Participant
              1155 posts Send Private Message

Yea I will probably use something to cover the holes so that Fern cannot squeeze through the bars

• Scarlet_Rose
                Participant
                4293 posts Send Private Message

I have a hands-free gate that has a clear plastic center that is chew-free and I LOVE it!   I paid about $40 for it at Babies”R”Us but it was well worth the investment.

Here is a pic and it is listed at $24 (they’ve come down in price):

Safety 1st Perfect Fit Gate - Safety 1st  - Babies"R"Us

• kimberleyanddarren
                  Participant
                  2520 posts Send Private Message

i think what scarlet rose showed is a good idea, 2.5 inches sounds alot.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                    Participant
                    12067 posts Send Private Message

You can also make gates out of NIC cubes Just zip tie em together and put perpindicular cubes on the side to hold them upright!

• MooBunnay
                      Participant
                      3087 posts Send Private Message

If you are looking for gates for a door, the baby gates are definitely the best idea. If you are looking for a pen, generally you can find dog pens that have spaces between the bars that are more like 1-1.5 inches. The exp-pens that I use have spacing of just about 1.5 inches, and that works well, my netherland dwarf who is only 1 lb. cannot squeeze through those bars.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Gates to keep Bunny confined?