Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE Gah! Pets are not disposable!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Taloan7
      Participant
      138 posts Send Private Message

I’m part of a neighborhood facebook group and one of my neighbours just posted two bunnies for free on the group.  He said the whole family was just kind of bored with them.  He said they are strictly outdoors and never leave their hutch.  One of my other neighbors expressed interest in getting them for her family and the original owner said they are really easy to care for because they are in a wire mesh bottom hutch so you don’t need to clean it and that you just fill their waterbottle and throw a bunch of food in there every three days.    I’m having a breakdown here at the bad care/information and feel like I should say something, but am not sure how without offending people :/  

• RabbitPam
        11002 posts Send Private Message

Hi, Taloan7, I understand your frustration.
          First, the neighbor who is interested in taking (rescuing) these bunnies will be helping them out of a lousy situation. While the owner is sadly misinformed, the new owners don’t have to be. I would recommend you contact the neighbor privately, the one willing to take them. In the most positive terms possible (don’t talk them out of helping) let the new owner neighbor know that you are familiar with pet rabbit care and have suggestions for a better set up for their home. Give them binkybunny’s website and let them know it’s free. They can get great, current advice on proper care and feeding of bunnies. Also we have the store for some supplies. Tell them they litter box train themselves, and a floor on the cage, brought inside, will prevent sore hocks and vet bills down the road. I want them to be rescued from this situation and it’s a chance to politely encourage the new family to give them a better life.

• Wick & Fable
          5781 posts Send Private Message

I would just add a slight caveat to Pam’s recommendation and say litter box training goes along with rabbit’s natural behaviors, so it is possible to litter box train them. They may not automatically do it themselves. Wick sure didn’t haha.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• sarahthegemini
            Participant
            5584 posts Send Private Message

If the possible new owner is willing to take info on proper rabbit care on board, great. If not, I’d take them and then take them to a no kill shelter that understands rabbits.

• Taloan7
              Participant
              138 posts Send Private Message

Well, I reached out on the original post and said “bunnies can actually make wonderful house pets and can be litter trained! My whole family gets a lot of enjoyment out of watching and interacting with our bunny inside with some strategic bunny proofing to the room”.
                The one neighbor decided she actually didn’t want the rabbits and the original owner ignored me :/ Not sure what to do from there. I think I will post a link to a bunny rescue and suggest it if he can’t find them a home. Also, maybe he might rethink their living situation after my comment if he can’t find someone to take them. *sigh*. Not sure if there is really anything to do.

• LittlePuffyTail
                18092 posts Send Private Message

It’s very hard to hear about these sorts of situations. I see ads like this often. So sad. I can’t understand how anyone can have animals and not love them as part of the family.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE Gah! Pets are not disposable!