Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Furry Feet

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • Toki+Pumpkin+Elmo
      Participant
      319 posts Send Private Message

My lionhead, Toki, has VERY VERY furry feet. His feet are so furry that his toe nails are nowhere to be seen.  I was wondering if i can trim his feet just like I trim my dogs feet.

Fog dogs, if not trimmed, it makes it hard for them to get a grip onto floors.  Is this the same case for rabbits? Does having a hairy feet give any disadvantages or limit them physically in their everyday lives?

I’m thinking that this could be result of having lack of ‘wilderness’ since he’s a domestic rabbit. For an example, a wild rabbit dont need his nails trimmed because it gets worn out running around different surfaces.

• Deleted User
        Participant
        22064 posts Send Private Message

How furry are we talking about? He is a lion head right?

• Toki+Pumpkin+Elmo
          Participant
          319 posts Send Private Message

He stands on his hair instead of his feet. I’ve met other lionheads and I think Toki is hairier than others. When I let him out in the yard, his feet collects all the leaves and debree from the ground.

• BinkyBunny
            8776 posts Send Private Message

When you say hair feet, do you mean the actual bottom? If so, you definitely want to leave that alone.  UNLESS, you find that it’s matted on the bottom, then you want to carefully brush out  the mats.  Rabbit need to fur on the bottom of their feet for padding. As they don’t have actual skin like pads like dogs do.

• Sarita
              Participant
              18851 posts Send Private Message

If he has long hair you should trim it and comb it – it will get very matted. You don’t want to trim to the skin but you will need to brush it as well. I just had a friend demat a fuzzy lop that I’m trying to bond with one of my buns and the fur on the bottom of his feet was so bad and matted, it was not a good thing – his whole body was that way really – he got a full body trim. I have another rabbit, who is not long haired, but very furry and the bottom of his feet get matted too so I try to trim his feet too. Do be careful though and take your time – you don’t want to nick her skin.

• Scarlet_Rose
                Participant
                4293 posts Send Private Message

Fur on the hocks or rear feet should be groomed regularly to fluff it up and prevent matting and absolutley should not be cut or removed except in cases of extreme matting so it can grow back normally (use lots of soft surface coverings until it grows back). Like Binky Bunny said, it is padding for the feet and if it is not there, sore hocks can result and that is not a good thing. Sore hocks can become open wounds, which then become infected and if not treated promptly can cause the infection to penetrate and go into the bone.

• Sarita
                  Participant
                  18851 posts Send Private Message

Sore hocks are more common in larger rabbits and rabbits who are kept in unsanitary conditions or on wire floors. And I’m not saying to remove, I’m saying to trim as needed on the bottom if the fur is long or matted.

• Scarlet_Rose
                    Participant
                    4293 posts Send Private Message

I totally understand Sarita and assumed that. Sorry if it was taken the wrong way, I was explaining how if it were removed or too short, what would happen.

• poopy
                      Participant
                      684 posts Send Private Message

Your lionheads are so cute! We want pictures!!

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Furry Feet