Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A fur trouble

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author
    • ilovemylittleman
      Participant
      57 posts Send Private Message

I’m brand new here. So HELLO everybody.

I have had my little man for about a yea now with very few problems- especially health related. I got my HIM fixed last week and today I noticed this large red raw spot on the top of his foot. I think he has been ripping the fur out. I would imagine it’s because of the stress, but what can I do about it? is it going to get infected? does he need to go to the vet?

he m,ight have gotten fleas at the vet too??? can i give him a flea bath?

• Veronica Vigilant
        Participant
        186 posts Send Private Message

aw. Poor little guy! I would suggest calling the vet to see if he has a recomendation- sometimes, especially if they just saw you, the vet can give you an idea over the phone of what to do if it’s simple. I *think* that neosporin (not the pain relief kind, just plain neosporin) is safe for bunnies to help prevent/heal infection, but I can’t completely remember right now, but someone else here will hopefully have a better idea of if there’s anything you can do….

What kind of housing is he in? Is there anyway he could be hurting himself on a wire cage bottom, etc?? The top of the foot just seems like such a strange place for a sore!

Hopefully someone else has some ideas, I would recomend at least calling your vet to ask him and seeing if they think you should bring him in again.

• ilovemylittleman
          Participant

cage isn’t wire bottomed… it’s the same one i’ve had since i got him

• Veronica Vigilant
            Participant

hmm… I hope someone else has some advise, all I can think of is how it’s easier to hurt the bottom of the toes not the tops! Maybe since he’s still recovering from the neuter that it could be some urine spray issues that caused the sores? Safest bet is still to call the vet and ask and see if you can get an answer over the phone before you have the money to bring him back in.

• osprey
              Participant
              2065 posts Send Private Message

Hi ilovemylittleman, and welcome to BinkyBunny!

Is he chewing just the one spot?  My first thought was either fleas or mites, but I really do not have any expertise in this area.  A vet would have to diagnose this, as mites cannot be seen without a skin scraping and a microscope.  To answer one of your questions, rabbits absolutely can pick up external parasites like fleas at a vet’s office.  Hopefully someone else will chime in with better information for you.

• BinkyBunny
                8776 posts Send Private Message

Welcome ilovemylittleman!

This kind of behavior can also indicate teeth problems. He may not have an obvious alignment, but even spurs can cause pain which can him to do this.

He also might have a problem with post-surgery, and be doing this out of pain and/or stress.

Definitely take him to the vet.

Because either way, whether it’s tooth issue, a pain issue or a flea or mite problem, a rabbit savvy vet should be able to help you.

Do not give him a flea bath! Rabbits are very sensitive to flea treatments AND baths. There are flea/mite treatments that are available to rabbits, but vet should give you the correct meds and dosage.

If there were fleas, you should be able to see the black droppings that can be left behind, but usually you’ll have to look all over as they don’t stick around usually where the bunny can actually get at them, they will hang out in harder places to reach, like down the bottom part of a bunny’s spine and hind quarters, or up towards the back of their head.

If it is mites, like Osprey said, you’ll need a vet to actually spot these.

• LittlePuffyTail
                  18092 posts Send Private Message

Just have to say I love your name cuz I love my little man (men) too!!! Welcome and hope you find out what’s wrong with your bun soon!

• Scarlet_Rose
                    Participant
                    4293 posts Send Private Message

Hi and welcome! I am wondering if this is the same spot on his foot where they ran a drip IV for his neuter. Is it possible to call and ask the vet what foot they did it on? It could be his skin is irritated from it, he’s got a bruise from it, or his foot is still sore from it and so he is pulling out the fur around it. Is the skin red at all, is the spot hot to the touch or oozing anything like it might be infected? You might try daubing some plain antibiotic ointment on it (without pain killer). Is it bruised at all?

• ilovemylittleman
                      Participant

Thanks. I thought about that today… I think maybe it is from the IV.

It is red, but not oozy. I don’t really know what a bunny brooze looks like, but it looks really raw and painful. He just keeps chewing and pulling at it.

I put some neosporin on it and gauze. Surprisingly, he hasn’t ripped it off. I rubbed a little lemon juice on the tape so it would taste bad if he tried to chew on it. We’ll see how it goes.

• Scarlet_Rose
                        Participant
                        4293 posts Send Private Message

That’s not good it is raw and painful, I think you might want to give the vet a call and let them know what is going on, you definately don’t want it to get infected. I am glad you got it wrapped so he can’t chew on it and make it worse, that was a great idea.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                          Participant
                          12067 posts Send Private Message

Ditto-bunnies can easily die from an infection. You might be able to just call and not even have to go in, but I’d definitely get a vet opinion. The neosporin and gauze (with lemon on it!) are great moves though

• MooBunnay
                            Participant
                            3087 posts Send Private Message

I agree – especially if the vet caused the painful spot with the IV they need to help you make sure it is not infected. Good idea with the lemon juice, I’m going to try to remember that one! I hope he is feeling better soon

• MooBunnay
                              Participant
                              3087 posts Send Private Message

I was just thinking about this this morning, and I remembered that I’ve got two bunnies that bite their nails as a bad habit. He may have just started pulling at the fur there out of stress or nervousness, and then just continued out of a bad habit. I think in that case the bandage will really help, because once the fur starts growing back he won’t be as focused on that one area.

• BinkyBunny
                                  Posted By MooBunnay on 08/11/2008 7:30 AM
                                  I was just thinking about this this morning, and I remembered that I’ve got two bunnies that bite their nails as a bad habit.

For some reason that made me laugh – I know, not funny, but just that little line.

I am learning something from this though. I never thought a bunny would bite his/her own nails.  Do they just do this a little bit  or??? What happens with their nails?     Rough edges on the nails, or what results from this?  I imagine they would stop before they get to the quik.   Are the two bunnies related?    Have you seen it decrease in time or just the same?

• Sarita
                                  Participant
                                  18851 posts Send Private Message

The only other thing I could think of is nerve damage but not sure why he would have that.

• ilovemylittleman
                                    Participant

Here’s an update…

I changed his bandage yesterday and his foot was looking better…. however, this morning when I went to feed him I found that he got the gause off. He has absolutely destroyed his foot!!!! It’s gone past pulling fur, he has it bleeding and is now chewing at the flesh. NOT GOOD!
                                      I’m taking him to the vet today.

• Sarita
                                      Participant

Please let us know! Poor bunny, poor you.

That scenario makes me think of nerve damage that perhaps he cannot feel his foot or something.

• ilovemylittleman
                                        Participant

Just spoke with the vet. We can’t get in until this evening. But she said that the IV was high on his “thigh” on the same side he is chewing. She also told me it is common for a reaction to the surgery within 48hrs, but that if it didn’t start until 3-4 days later that it is probably unrelated.
                                          He’s a mess and I’m a mess!

• Sarita
                                          Participant

Vibes to you and your bunny. I’m glad you are able to get him in this evening though. Let us know what the vet says. It’s stressful not knowing and waiting too.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                            Participant

OH NO!! *VIBES* for him and *HUGS* to you!!! Anxiously waiting to see how the visit was …

• ilovemylittleman
                                              Participant

Just got home from the vet and Sarita was right.
                                                He has temporary nerve damage that makes his foot feel tingly like it’s asleep. So he’s chewing because he can’t feel pain and the chewing makes the tingles less. Now he has one of those big round collars they put on dogs. It’s hilarious!!!!! So glad he’ll be ok in 2 weeks.
                                                Thanks for all the love!

Here’s a picture… he keeps trying to lick through the collar and ‘chasing his tail’  SO CUTE!

1812523544154.jpg

• Sarita
                                                Participant

Poor baby! He is a cutie.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                                  Participant

Oh man that’s funny!! Poor little guy!! Glad the vets went well and he’ll be feeling better in no time!

• skunklionshow
                                                    Participant
                                                    1257 posts Send Private Message

Boy that’s scary!  I hope he feels better soon.  I’m really glad that you were up on all this.

BB:  I have a cat that occassionally bites her nails.  Just every now & then.  That’s usually my tip that I need to trim her claws!  I think it’s her oh so subtle way to give me the hint.

• Veronica Vigilant
                                                      Participant

Oh gosh! Poor guy! I can actually relate- my rt foot has a tingly pins and needles feeling ever since I had surgery on the ankle (a side effect the dr didn’t tell me about til after the fact!!) Now that I think about, I would probably chew on my foot too if I could reach it! I hope he feels better soon!

• skunklionshow
                                                        Participant
                                                        1257 posts Send Private Message

Re: human pins/needles

Often if this occurs post surgery, it’s b/c blood flow was somehow disrupted during the sleep cycle.  Sometimes it’s b/c the body is positioned in an awkward manner, a limb falls off the table, or even the limb “falls asleep”.  Oddly enough unconsciously when a limb falls asleep when you are really asleep, your body triggers some type of response to wake it up.  Under anesthesia, these responses can be inhibited.

Bob:  If this is a chronic problem that causes a great deal of discomfort for you, you may find a script for Gabapentin (brand name Neurontin) to be helpful….I’m not a doc, just having spent a great deal of work time around them.

• BinkyBunny

Did they give any pain meds to at least maybe help numb the tingly sensation. What his poops and how much he eats as both the collar and the tingling sensation will create stress.   And of course we know stress can cause gi stasis, so just keep an eye out.

• ilovemylittleman
                                                            Participant

Actually, I have been getting really worried about that.

We might be in for another vet trip… His poops are really soft and really smelly so I have been taking off the collar and lettling him give himself a bath with very close supervision. He gets to run around unti he starts chewing on himself again, then I have to put the collar back on.Things aren’t going so well for him.

• Sarita
                                                              Participant

Oh no! It sounds like the collar may not be allowing him to eat his cecals. I’m not sure that there would be any other solution to keeping him from chewing on his foot.

Do ask about the metacam though – maybe that will take the edge off.

• ilovemylittleman
                                                                Participant

That’s what I thought

If he is getting enough other food (plenty of T-hay and pellets and fresh veggies) does he have to eat cecals? I’m afraid it may be a choice between his foot or his tummy– and the foot needs immediate relief.

Viewing 29 reply threads
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A fur trouble