Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR funny head gesture

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Ralph
      Participant
      56 posts Send Private Message

Hi again,

I was wondering about some rabbit behavior if you would indulge ^^
        My rabbit (not neutered yet) must be around 1 year old now, and is showing all the classic signs of an adolecent male animal ( I guess)
        I often offer hay to him, meaning one straw for him to cut with his teeth, he positions his teeth directly at the base of the hay straw right
        at my finger tips where I am holding it. Why is he cutting hay and not eating it when I offer it. Now, here comes the funny part, recently I have noticed
        that he is showing a non concernin but funny gesture. When offering a stick of hay into his face , he might cut it , but if he doesn’t feel like it ,
        He lifts of scratch-like motion his lower jaw over the stick. It is the most funny motion I have ever seen in the rabbit until now, what could it mean?

Have any of you observed any kind behavior?

Anyway , just wanted to share this , should have teken a movie and put it on youtibe , oh well…

Regards,

Ralph

Rabbit Profile 7

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

i can’t really picture what you’re describing… so i’ll leave this for someone else to answer.  i did want to say, as always, i love the pic of your little guy!  you always post such precious photos of him!

• Ralph
          Participant
          56 posts Send Private Message

Imagine that I were to give you chocolate , but you don’t like chocolate , then I would offer you it again , then you would hold up your hand toward me, my rabbit seems to hold up his head because he doesn’t have hands. Makes sense this way ?

Rabbit Profile 6

• Kokaneeandkahlua
            Participant
            12067 posts Send Private Message

Have you ever seen a cat rub his cheeks on something, like a person’s legs, to scent it? Is that what he’s doing?

• babybunsmum
              Participant
              3896 posts Send Private Message

yeah… it seems to me as well that you might be describing ‘chinning’ .  your bun may not want to eat hay out of your hand but when you present it to him he rubs his chin on the piece of hay.  is this what he’s doing instead of eating it?  my bun rubs her chin on everything.  its very cute.  it’s like she’s saying “my night stand”, “my mop handle”, “my chair leg”.  lol.

• sarah bowden
                Participant
                85 posts Send Private Message

I’m not sure what it’s called but we call it chinning at my house. I have a little (uneutered) male and he rubs his chin on just about everything. But particullary the things he considers his, the door to his pen, his willow tunnel, his litterbox, sometimes my shoes or ankles. I always imagine him hopping around the room saying “This is mine and this is mine and oh! what’s this it’s mine too”

• MarkBun
                  Participant
                  2842 posts Send Private Message

My bun also cuts individual stalks of hay at my fingers. It is instinctive for them to remove anything like that in order to keep his fleeing space free. Hence why wires get the business. Think of it as the bun saying “Hey! You could put out a bunny’s eye with that!”

• babybunsmum
                    Participant
                    3896 posts Send Private Message

ahha!  i think i know what you’re talking about now ralph & markus.  everytime i hold up a piece of paper ot cardboard or hay (‘cept sometimes she just eats the hay because she’s a hay monster) pinky grabs onto it and rips it out of my hand and drops it down.  lol.  very cute. 

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR funny head gesture