Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE Fresno the Californian Bun!

Viewing 114 reply threads
  • Author
    • kanin
      Participant
      139 posts Send Private Message

Hello everybunny! Not sure if anyone remembers me but I used to be Rio and Buns on here, with my bunnies Desmond, Quincy, and Nora. I posted a little about my newest rescue in another thread but wanted to make a formal one that I can also use to keep track of his progress and post updates. I picked up Fresno yesterday and his condition is heartbreaking. He was kept outside in a dog crate with no shelter from the blazing heat and bad storms we get here in Florida and was clearly underfed as he is basically a walking skeleton right now. He has overgrown nails and wounds on his feet and nose. Despite his hard life he’s the sweetest boy who didn’t even need to be taught to use the litter box (for peeing at least, though I can excuse the little bit of poop he leaves outside of it) and he absolutely loves his bed! I can just assume that he’s always been kept on wire so it’s probably the most comfortable thing he’s ever laid on. My heart breaks every time I pet him and feel nothing but bones. I can’t wait to get him fixed up and looking and feeling great!

At the moment he’s just a foster bun until he’s able to get neutered and I can see if he bonds with one of the girls. If not, I will have to find him a new home but I really hope that doesn’t end up being the case because I’m in love already. If anyone has their own before and after pics of their buns, feel free to share!

Meet Fresno!

• jerseygirl
        22345 posts Send Private Message

💚

Bless him x

Thank you for taking him in. He’s well on his way to a happier, healthier life! He looks very curious about his new digs. 🙂

Did he have to have his coat shaved due to mats? That makes him look extra small!

• kanin
          Participant

jerseygirl – Nope! I think he’s just been so malnourished and exposed to the elements that his coat hasn’t been growing in properly. He’s really enjoying the safety of his quarantine room, plus the soft jazz music I have playing for him 😄

• Beau Bunny
            Participant
            66 posts Send Private Message

My heart breaks to see him,  but I’m so happy that he has you now! Keep us posted on the progress.

• Louiethebunny
              Participant
              603 posts Send Private Message

Oh, what a poor baby! He looks like he was in a really bad situation. He is so lucky that you rescued him. All he needs is a little love and care! I bet with some love and lots of yummy food, he will be super great in no time.

• Bam
                16877 posts Send Private Message

Hello Fresno and very welcome to Binky Bunny!

Poor little sweetheart, I’m so glad he is with you now 💗

• DanaNM
                  8935 posts Send Private Message

Oh Fresno!!! I will never understand how people can be so cruel. 🙁  He is so lucky you found him. <3

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• tobyluv
                    Participant
                    3310 posts Send Private Message

Thank you for taking in sweet Fresno and giving him the love and care he so deserves, but obviously never got before.  I hope it will work out that he bonds with one of your bunnies and you can keep him in a wonderful forever home.

• prince dorian the bun
                      Participant
                      743 posts Send Private Message

Poor Fresno, so glad he made it to you and can get some love and proper care finally. I don’t get some people indifference to the suffering of another living being. I look forward to seeing him recover!

• kanin
                        Participant

Thank you for the kind words everyone. Fresno (who I’ve started calling Fizz lol) appreciates the love. The vets around me aren’t able to see him this weekend so I clipped his nails and noticed he has what I’m assuming are sore hocks? The bottom of his back feet are red and feel rough and scabby but I don’t see any pus. So I switched his flooring to a thick fleece blanket and put soft paper bedding in his litter box (also got him a bigger litter box because he’s a big boy). I’ve never dealt with sore hocks before so if anyone has any other suggestions let me know!

• LBJ10
                          16908 posts Send Private Message

OMG, he’s precious! Poor baby!

Was he kept in a wire cage? Wire flooring causes calluses and eventually sore hocks. It sounds like he just has irritated calluses right now, so you might be able to get away with clipped nails, softer flooring and ointment on the calluses. You can use something like bag balm to soothe the area. If it gets worse, there are bandages you can make where you use fur for padding.

• kanin
                            Participant

LBJ10 – Yes, he was in a wire dog crate sitting on what looks to be concrete… or maybe it’s dirt, I can’t tell. Here were the pictures of his previous situation that were posted on craigslist:

And his setup now. I’m still very impressed by his amazing litterbox-using skills despite being unaltered and a previous outside bun! My girls I’ve had for years still poop outside of their litterbox lol. He just got done eating some yummy pellets. 🙂

• Hazel
                              Participant
                              2587 posts Send Private Message

Ugh, those Craigslist pictures…

He probably thinks he died and went to heaven. Poor thing. In a couple of months he will be unrecognizable. 🙂

Edit: The second batch of pictures seems to have disappeared?

• kanin
                                Participant

Yeah I had to edit the photos because they were giant on my computer but it needed mod approval again. He’s really gonna be such a beautiful boy when he’s healthy. My heart is so full every time I sit with him and he purrs away. 🥰 Although I walked in to check on him at 4 in the morning and he wasn’t too happy with me disturbing his nighttime zen. My mistake!

• Hazel
                                  Participant

I bet! 😀  Mine does the same thing, if I get up too early in the morning he comes stomping out of his hutch like “What the HECK is going on out here??? 😡 ” 😆

• kanin
                                    Participant

Lol! Gotta love those giant attitudes packed in small little bodies. I rescued Quincy from starving in a parking lot and it didn’t take her long to start acting like the queen of the house. I was like girl… did you already forget where you just came from??? The nerve.

• kanin
                                      Participant

Update: I just saw fleas on him and now I’m freaking out a little because I can’t get him to the vet until Tuesday afternoon. The bunny doctor isn’t in on Saturdays or Mondays. I was thinking about getting Advantage II but that doesn’t treat mites and internal parasites and I’m assuming they shouldn’t be used together in so close of a time. Ahhh, I just don’t want an infestation in my house and have them spread to my other buns.

• Hazel
                                        Participant

Advantage II has been my go-to for a long time, but unfortunately it seems to have lost it’s effectiveness over the last couple of years. I guess it depends on where you live and how immune your local flea population has become so it might still work for you. Revolution is another good one but you need a prescription for that, and I’m not sure how effective it is nowadays, either.

I guess you can try a flea comb until the vet can see him, unfortunately I don’t have any better suggestions. 🙁  They’ve come out with new and more effective treatments for dogs and cats, but nothing that’s safe for bunnies as far as I know.

• jerseygirl

I was going suggest flea comb also. With the fur short, you might have luck getting them. If you’re looking to get a spot on treatment from the vet, he might not need a consult. They could sell you some Advantage or Revolution at the front desk.

I wasn’t certain if advantage II was okay so I’m glad Hazel mentioned it. I believe you can get that at pet store. I don’t think the original Advantage is available anymore(???). Just be sure not to buy anything that contains fipronil. That’s definitely a no-go for rabbits.

Do you think it would be worth contacting former owners to see if they recently gave anything?

• kanin
                                            Participant

I’ve never had a bunny lay in a bed I’ve given them before, and he’s so dang cute in it. This one is pretty old and not the softest anymore but my mom bought him a new comfy one and he still chose this one lol. Go figure. I guess I’m just going to wait to get a prescription for Revolution on Tuesday and I’ll either get some for the girls too or just use Advantage for them. I was thinking of putting a little diatomaceous earth on his head since that’s where they seem to be, but I read up on it and don’t really wanna risk giving him respiratory issues? Some people say it could, some people say it won’t. Fleas give me the major heebie jeebies. Tuesday can’t come soon enough!

• Louiethebunny
                                              Participant

Aww, he looks so happy! Look at those little fur tufts growing back!

• Bam

Diatomaceous earth is not good to breathe in. If you put a little bit on his head, I dont think he would have much chance of breathing it in. It’s not toxic if he ingests some. But I dont know how effective it would be against fleas and eggs that are actually on the animal. It is mostly used to treat the environment, since its mechanism of action is dehydration.

• Hazel
                                                  Participant

Oh my, look at him. He looks SO happy. 😀  I know if I gave Oscar a bed he would ignore it, or destroy it. Fresno knows how good he has it now.

• kanin
                                                    Participant

He had his vet appointment yesterday and Jerseygirl was right – they do think someone previously shaved him. They also think he’s younger than a year old, and he weighs almost 6 pounds! He’s gonna be a hefty boy when he fills out and grows his hair back. I was given Ivermectin for mites in his ears and was told to just give him Advantage. Now it’s just a matter of fattening him up and getting him neutered so he can get out of this bathroom!

I got a flea comb for him but I realized there’s no place I can comb him… people suggest doing it outside but I don’t want him running away, and also don’t want fleas to get in my yard. Hmm. 🙄

Thank you all for your support and helpful advice ❤️

• Bam

Wow! He will become a big boy!

From what I can find, Advantage II kills fleas of all life stages, ie eggs, larvae and mature fleas (unsure if there’s a nymph stage). That would mean that whatever you brush off of him once treatment has taken effect, will be dead/non-viable.

I hope you’ll keep updating! It’d be wonderful to get to see him blossom into his full beauty.

• kanin
                                                        Participant

Ohh that’s really good to know! I guess I’ll just check that they’re dead first and comb him in his area then switch the blanket.
                                                          In other news, I’ve noticed he pees outside of his litter box when it gets too soiled for his liking… which is after like one day. 🙄 He’s already getting a taste for the spoiled life.

I’ll definitely update as he starts to look better, thanks Bam. 🥰

• Wick & Fable
                                                          5781 posts Send Private Message

I honestly still have no idea how people can NOT do a litterbox change at least daily, haha, so it sounds normal to me.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• kanin
                                                            Participant

Now I’m curious how often most people change it lol. Every day seems so tedious and that’s a looot of litter to go through.

So! I’m back with another question. He peed on his bed and it looks really thick. Is this anything to be concerned about? I know it can be from excess calcium but I’m not sure why that would happen. Maybe from the increase in pellets? I’m giving him 1/8 cup in the morning and night. Also, I just put the flea meds on his neck and he instantly scratched that area with his foot and started licking it. 🙄 I really don’t want him to poison himself. He’s freaking me out lol.

ETA: He’s somehow managing to stretch his neck around and lick at the area. Ugh!!

• Wick & Fable

I do all litterboxes once a day. I don’t think I go through more litter necessarily though. I do not dump everything. I salvage whatever hay I can and only scoop out litter that’s been soaked. I use the wood-stove pellets, so a lot of solid pellets still remain (i.e. completely dry) and I only scoop out really damp, sawdust portions (i.e. pellets disintegrated due to urine absorption). It is definitely a time-suck and I never look forward to it but alas, it must be done. Again, I wish I could figure out how people do it less often. There’s just so much poop and pee and so little hay at the end of one day. I could definitely stretch it when I just had my small Wick, but with two now, I find it so hard to figure it out XD

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Hazel
                                                                Participant

He’s getting used to having a human slave. 😆

My guess is his coat looked so nasty that they shaved him before taking pictures for the ad. 😡

• kanin
                                                                  Participant

Ohh that makes more sense Wick. I thought you were over here dumping the entire litter box every day, which is what I do rather than spot clean because I ain’t got time for that. And since Fresno isn’t neutered yet he’s got some real oniony poops and I don’t think spot cleaning would cut it lol! But I can especially see the need to when you have more than one bun using the same litter box. With my girls it kind of works out where at the end of the day the hay they didn’t eat creates a new layer on top of that day’s poop, so they don’t have to sit right in it or anything. What do you use to scoop the soiled litter out?

• Wick & Fable

I use a kitchen scoop with slightly flexible sides so I can get in the edges better. I have a litter screen on top, so i do dump all the poops out! My Fable is spayed but her poops still smell strongly of onions sometimes so definitely need to dump daily, haha. The scoop stays in the bag of litter.

• Louiethebunny
                                                                      Participant

I change my litter box every two days, after that my bun stops using it because it’s too soiled, and I usually just take all the extra hay he tosses around and pulls out of his extra hay racks and boxes and put it into the litter box so he isn’t sitting in his own poops.

• Bam
                                                                        Moderator

If his pee is thick  he could perhaps be drinking a less than ideal amount. If he gets fresh greens, you could serve them dripping wet for extra moisture. I would assume many changes are taking place on his body now when he goes from being malnourished to having ample amounts of nutritious food a available to him.

Some buns really are particular about their litter boxes! I spot clean mine, butfor a very long time I had a bun who refused to pee on anything but fabric. So I had to put pieces fabric on top of the litter or he wouldnt go in the box, and that of course meant some extra laundry.

• kanin
                                                                          Participant

That’s a good point Bam, regarding all the changes. My gut tells me it is just his body flushing out the calcium. He does drink a pretty good amount of water already, if you look in previous pics there’s 2 white bowls and he’ll empty at least one by the end of the day, sometimes 1 and a half. I’ll try the wet veggies too though! Thank you for answering here and on my separate post. I’m always so paranoid that I’m doing the wrong thing or not doing enough. Being a mom to fragile little beings ain’t easy!

• Hazel
                                                                            Participant

In addition to wet veggies, you can also soak his pellets in water. I actually do this with my cat’s dry food since cats aren’t good drinkers.

• DanaNM
                                                                              Moderator

@kanin you are doing a great job! Fresno was even in my dream last night lol!

Regarding litter boxes, I do mine every other day, but I dump the whole thing. I have a cheap source of pine pellets and hay so I don’t stress too much about wasting a bit. I do a really fluffy layer of hay over the pellets, and then add more hay on the day between changes so there is always a clean fluffy layer of hay on top.

I used to do the screen system with scooping out the wet spots, but over the years I just got lazy and realized I was doing so much work to save maybe like 1 scoop of pine pellets!

I agree with Bam that he might be flushing out built up calcium now that he’s getting better care. Soaking pellets is a good idea! He might even benefit from some critical care since he is so malnourished and would prob just lick it off a spoon. Just be sure not to leave soaked pellets or CC mush out for too long as it can grow dangerous mold very quickly.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• kanin
                                                                                Participant

Thanks for the tip Hazel! And thank you Dana – so funny he was in your dream! What happened in it? 😝

Seems like a few of us use the “layer of hay on top of poop” method. It works nicely with my girls because they won’t touch the hay that’s sitting on their poop but I tried it with Fresno and he ate it, so there was no more barrier between him and it lol. He definitely seems like the type who’s not picky with food, he’s just happy to be getting fed. Maybe that’ll change once he realizes he’ll never starve again.

• DanaNM
                                                                                  Moderator

I honestly don’t remember much about the dream! I feel like I was in a weird place and some how had bunnies with me though, and Fresno was one of them!

• kanin
                                                                                    Participant

That’s so cute lol. He’s a special boy, I love him to pieces already. 💕

• LBJ10
                                                                                      Moderator

Haha! Dana, I wish! The screen is there… but only because I don’t want the contents of the litter box emptied out onto the floor every night. 🙄

• kanin
                                                                                        Participant

So after seeing a bunch of threads made here about hormonal buns being naughty in various ways and displaying typical hormonal behavior, I’m starting to wonder why Fresno doesn’t do any of these things. He acts like he’s neutered – doesn’t honk, circle feet, nip, grunt, act all needy for constant attention (Nora did this before she was spayed and would stomp her feet when you stopped petting her), and he’s a near-perfect litter box user. Is this a rare case? Or could he just be young enough that he hasn’t hit puberty yet (except his testicles have dropped)? Or old enough to where he’s past puberty and mellowed out? DO unfixed rabbits mellow out with age?

• DanaNM
                                                                                          Moderator

If he is in fact a boy it should be pretty simple to see if he’s neutered, just pick him up and look! Assuming he’s not a super baby (which I don’t think he is)?

• kanin
                                                                                            Participant

Oh I know he’s not neutered, I’m just wondering why he doesn’t display the typical crazy hormonal bunny mannerisms that they tend to have when unfixed. 🤔

• Hazel
                                                                                              Participant

Super baby 😆

• LBJ10
                                                                                                Moderator

Yes, if owners can make it past the hormonal phase, an unneutered male can mellow out with time. Most owners, however, never make it that far! LOL If honking, circling and humping don’t do it, the spraying does.

• talesOfTybalt
                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                  104 posts Send Private Message

I’m super late to the party but just had to pipe in on Fresno’s absolute adorableness <3 I actually gasped at his frail figure in the first pictures attached, so happy to see he has people who truly care about him now 🙂

&& kanin i was wondering the same about my bun! I’ve been super ready to deal with hormonal behaviour – the honking, circling, aggression and ESP the spraying… and it never came! He’s hardly destructive at all, more so just curious at seeing and knowing what’s going on around him and uses the litter box religiously with a few stray poops here and there. I suppose he has become more affectionate but I think that’s just because he’s getting used to me and learning to trust me more since he’s been extremely friendly from day 1. I guess we got lucky there!

Either way, he has his neutering surgery this coming thursday so as deeply nauseous as I get thinking about it, I’m interested to see how he is after it – if he’s any better behaved he will be a literal heaven sent bunny.

• Peanutthebunny
                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                    239 posts Send Private Message

Oh my gosh, I was nearly crying when I saw those pictures those people and all people need to be educated about bunnies how can a bun even like humans anymore if they did that to him I am so happy he’s not bity though. I am so grateful that you saved him.

• kanin
                                                                                                      Participant

Yes talesofTybalt it sounds like we really lucked out! Your little man is SUPER duper cute 😍 I wish him an easy neuter and quick recovery! 💕

Rabbitlover – It’s amazing how forgiving animals can be despite coming from awful situations. Unfortunately I think people like this, even if someone educates them, just don’t care about doing the right thing by them. Thank you for the kind words.

This morning I was giving Fresno his pellets and he did the first tiny little binky I’ve seen him do! It was so dang cute my heart nearly burst. He’s always so happy and grateful to be given literally any food, and he eats whatever hay I give him. I sure hope he stays this unpicky!

• DanaNM
                                                                                                        Moderator

Awwww yay for binks!

• Peanutthebunny
                                                                                                          Participant

aww so cute i can’t believe he did a binky

• Bam
                                                                                                            Moderator

Hooray for a binky!!!

• kanin
                                                                                                              Participant

Check out this healed up nose! Slowly but surely making progress 🙂

• LBJ10
                                                                                                                Moderator

His fur is looking better too! So happy to hear he’s settling in. 🙂

• kanin
                                                                                                                  Participant

Oh it still looks pretty rough, I also got this pic of how he was laying when I walked in. I dunno if they shaved his legs too or what, but he looks like he’s wearing fuzzy slippers. His back feet look giant compared to his skinny little body too.

• DanaNM
                                                                                                                    Moderator

OMG those legs and feet!

He looks like he has deer legs!

• kanin
                                                                                                                      Participant

Omg you’re right lol! The grayish-brown part is the hooves! Poor lil dude 🤣

• LBJ10
                                                                                                                        Moderator

Maybe you should have named him Bambi? LOL

His fur does look a bit rough, but the overall texture does look better. Has he allowed you to brush him yet?

• Peanutthebunny
                                                                                                                          Participant

Fresno definitely looks like a deer

• kanin
                                                                                                                            Participant

Omg y’all… sorry if you’re tired of me always posting pictures, but I just had to share these. I went to check on him and he was completely knocked out, and had pushed the blanket so that he could use it as a pillow. I just stood there and watched him and he was twitching and kicking his back feet in his sleep. Seriously one of the most precious things I’ve ever seen. He’s so dang cute.

• kanin
                                                                                                                              Participant

LBJ – I’ve combed him with the flea comb and he was calm for it. I only have a furminator which would be too abrasive for him right now, so I have to get me one of those cat brushes with the little protective beads at the end of the bristles.

Speaking of him looking like a deer – he has a pretty long tail, and when he gets nervous he raises it up kind of like a white-tail deer does when they’re spooked lol! Since his first name is Spanish, I think his middle name will be the Spanish word for deer – Ciervo!

• Bam
                                                                                                                                Moderator

We will never get tired of pics of Fresno el Ciervo! 💗

• DanaNM
                                                                                                                                  Moderator

What a little angel!

I’m not crying, you’re crying! 😭🥰😭🥰

Seriously though, will never get tired of Fresno pics!

• kanin
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Señor Fresno el Ciervo lol!!! I’m gonna have to get him a little sombrero and maybe do a photo shoot once he’s looking his best. Sweet man. 🥰

• kanin
                                                                                                                                      Participant

Fresno’s long stretched out position today allowed me to see the bottoms of his feet and the calluses look to be healing nicely, but boy are they still dirty! This is clearly his favorite spot and I’ve tried straightening the blanket out but he just pushes it right back. I’m going to take away the fence so that he has the whole bathroom, and I’ll be scheduling his neuter appointment for next Tuesday. Can’t wait to get the ball rolling and take the first step towards being able to see if he gets along with either of my girls! My dream goal is to have a trio bond, but with Quincy being a devil bunny I highly doubt that’ll happen. I just don’t have the time that it takes to bond difficult bunnies. (If anyone’s in Florida that wants to do it for me let me know! 😆 )

• prince dorian the bun
                                                                                                                                        Participant

It is so heart warming to see how much better he looks already! And he looks like such a sweet heart. I so don’t get how cruel people can be. Can’t wait to see him when his fur grows back more and he puts on a little more weight. Señor Fresno el Ciervo is going to be soooo handsome! Please keep posting ALL the pictures!!

• kanin
                                                                                                                                          Participant

Fresno’s been well, though I think he still has ear mites because he’s been shaking his head and scratching in his ears despite the two doses of ivermectin he’s had, and for some reason my vet is reluctant to prescribe me Revolution. Also, over the past week or so he’s been having these major freakout episodes over seemingly nothing. I’ll walk up to his area, or open a door, or flick on a light switch, and he’ll lose all rational thought and starting running around really fast and crash into everything and spill over his water everywhere, and me trying to calm him down doesn’t work so I just have to walk away and try not to even breathe lest I scare him again. Seriously… if I even move a muscle too soon after he calms down he’ll start back up. I’m becoming afraid to even open my bedroom door because I don’t want it to give him an actual heart attack or cause him to break a leg or something. I don’t understand why he’s all of a sudden scared of every little noise and movement. (Side note: he hasn’t been neutered yet as I felt it was a little too soon. Hopefully next week though.)

• prince dorian the bun
                                                                                                                                            Participant

Aww poor bun. Are there construction noises or dogs barking lately? I just notice Dorian gets very jumpy when the construction across the street is going on, just wondering if something like that? Or maybe his hearing is a bit muffled due to the mites and that’s making him feel like you just appeared and that’s scary? Hope he feels better with both the jitters and mites!

• DanaNM
                                                                                                                                              Moderator

Aww poor guy. 🙁 Have there been any new smells in his area? Maybe a new blanket or bed?

A few weeks ago Myra got super spooked just because I moved the cat’s bed (and the cat is inside all the time), it was very strange!

• Trixieandcookies
                                                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                                                77 posts Send Private Message

I am really late. Even though he has got kind words from everyone I still want to give him some. He is so precious ❤️!! What a cute bun bun!! I absolutely LOVE the photos!! Keep em coming! I just wish people wouldn’t be so cruel to such an innocent creature💔😭. How could someone ever not feel guilty for the rest of their lives for doing such a thing?!? I love the Spanish name!! So cute! I could go on all day about how lovely he looks and sounds!

• jerseygirl
                                                                                                                                                  Moderator

How long ago was his last dose of ivermectin? Do you recall what he got? I believe there are meant to be three doses so that any young mites from eggs that have hatched can be cleared up. I think the dosage is twice what you need to treat fur mite also… I will need to look that up.

It’s possible he had a secondary bacterial infection or something occur alongside having ear mites.

Im sorry to read that he is not as chilled out like he had been. Has that improved since you last posted? Do you have cats that could have snuck in the room unknown?

I wonder if you could alert him to your intention to come into his space by ringing a gentle sounding bell or something? Or start talking to him before entering??

Do you know if his hearing is alright?

• kanin
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Thank you so much Trixieandcookies! Your girl is gorgeous! And I agree, honestly I’d love to start my own bunny rescue some day, especially to help “meat rabbits” get out of those terrible situations and fates.

prince dorian, Dana, and jerseygirl – There hasn’t been any changes at all to his area or the house or anything. No new smells or sounds (to my knowledge 🙄) and I don’t have cats or any animals that have access to his area. His hearing seems to be great since he can hear me flicking on the light switch from another room, even when his door is closed. I was given 3 doses of ivermectin to administer every 2 weeks, with the second dose given on July 7th, and his last one on July 21st. I think the dose is 5ml if I remember correctly but I’ll have to double check. It has been refrigerated though because someone else stuck it in the fridge, so I’m not sure if that might have affected the effectiveness of it?

I’ll definitely be making more of an effort to make my presence known before I walk up to his area, but he’s still so on edge all the time and will freak out even when I’m in another room. Maybe it’s because I scared him so much the first time and now he’s constantly anticipating it… on a lighter note though, he still gets so happy and excited and is full of binkies in the morning when I open his door and he knows it’s pellet time. So at least I know he’s not miserable. 😭

• DanaNM
                                                                                                                                                      Moderator

Is his room very quiet normally? I wonder if there is a new strange sound outside that you can’t hear?

If his room is super quiet normally, I wonder if it might help to have some ambient noise in there so other sounds aren’t so startling? Like maybe a radio on quietly or something? I know people will do that for their birds and dogs when they are away from home.

• Louiethebunny
                                                                                                                                                        Participant

I would double check for any new noises like Dana says, a few weeks ago there was some construction next door and it put Louie on edge for a while.

• prince dorian the bun
                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Ambient noise is not a bad idea, if I really have to focus working and can’t have Dorian in my room and no one else home to hang out with him that’s what I do. Seems to keep him happier and I have noticed on those days when I don’t he is way more jumpy when I come in the room… it’s like he’s been sitting alone in the quiet and getting more and more paranoid & Dorian is a pretty chill bun generally. Is he alone most of the day? Maybe it’s the contrast? Oh and ivermectin is fine at room temp, but I have actually been told told to refrigerate it for longer efficiency, so it should be fine.

• cottonballbun
                                                                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                                                                            28 posts Send Private Message

Ohhh he’s so cute!! I can’t wait to see him gain more weight. He’s in good hands!

• kanin
                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Hello hello everyone! It’s been about 2 months since I last posted because nothing too interesting has been going on, but today I was taking some pics of Fresno and realized how great he looks and wanted to share his progress. His fur is almost grown out, he’s all healed up and he’s chunky and healthy! Every time I walk up to his area he does little head binkies and runs to me, rearranges his blanket, throws his toys around… he’s a happy boy. He’s been neutered and I put him with one of my girls for just a few minutes – there was quite a bit of honking and humping from him but he wasn’t being malicious about it, and Nora was pretty passive so I have hope that they’ll be able to be bonded fairly easily. Last time I posted I was talking about how spooky he is and he’s gotten a little better, we’ve learned to announce when we’ll be passing by his area so he’s not taken by surprise but he still has his moments. Anyway, here are some comparison pics! He’s gorgeous! And I noticed his ears and nose have gotten darker in color too.

• jerseygirl
                                                                                                                                                                Moderator

He looks great! Nice to hear he may have a bond mate also. <3

Im happy for the update. I was just thinking about him this week!

• kanin
                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Oops the pics ended up being giant, my bad. I’m super relieved about it jerseygirl, finding a home for him would be so difficult because I wouldn’t trust anyone to take care of him correctly lol. I have no idea how I would go about it.

Here’s just one more comparison that’s my favorite. Beautiful boy.

• HipHopBunny
                                                                                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                                                                                    640 posts Send Private Message

Oh, look at him! 😀 He keeps improving daily! 🙂

I’ve been following this thread for a while now, and can definitely see how much healthier he looks, what a beautiful boy! 😀 Thank you for saving him! 🙂

• LBJ10
                                                                                                                                                                      Moderator

OMG, how he has changed! He looks great!

• Bam
                                                                                                                                                                        Moderator

His nose and ears are darker because temps are cooler.Same would go for his tail and feet. The Himalayan gene, with gives California rabbits their characteristic pattern, responds to ambient temperature. This means of course that the ear, nose, feet and tail will become lighter again in the spring 😊

He looks like a real bun now, no longer a poor orphan. Great job!  ❤️❤️❤️

• Wick & Fable
                                                                                                                                                                          Moderator

Oh he looks beautiful! I feel like a see more spark in those eyes, and the difference in his paws especially is so heartwarming. I also sense more sass in the now picture, haha.

• Hazel
                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Thank you for the update, he looks amazing! 😀

I wish his previous owners could see this, maybe it would help them figure out what crappy people they are.

• kanin
                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Thank you for the support and love for Fresno everyone! 🥰 Thank you HipHopBunny and LBJ!

Bam – that’s so interesting. Temps were high when I got him and they’re still pretty high now (80s and 90s), so I wonder if it’s just the AC or maybe his inner calendar in the works? I’ll have to pay attention to that!

Wick – Yes definitely more spark! He was pretty sad when I first brought him home and now he’s so full of life. Although surprisingly not too sassy, just very happy. 😊

Hazel – That’s what my mom said haha. I don’t have their number anymore but I might have their email address. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to send some pictures but they probably don’t even care. 😕 They never bothered to follow up on him.

• DanaNM
                                                                                                                                                                                Moderator

OMG he looks amazing! Wow! He looks so much like Myra 🙂 <3

• kanin
                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

I’ve just started the bonding process with Nora, the sweet bunny out of my two girls. Actually it hasn’t even been much of a process – they’ve been getting along pretty great right from the start. She hops away from him sometimes but he doesn’t chase her, doesn’t hump, there’s been no biting whatsoever, nothing mean at all between them. There’s also been no grooming though, but I’m sure we’ll get there. As for my other girl, Quincy, I feel so bad that she’s being left out but she’s just so mean to every bunny. She bites and chases and pulls fur out. As much as I’d love to have a bonded trio, I have pretty much no hope that she’ll be able to be bonded with them. If I were to try though… should I introduce Quincy to Fresno separately? Or put her in with both of them? Should I wait until Fresno and Nora are bonded? I have no idea what the best way to go about this is.

• HipHopBunny
                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Aww, they look so happy together! 😀

For Quincy, I would definitely introduce them separately, so that there isn’t any ganging up, and so she isn’t overwhelmed with meeting two buns at once. 🙂 That could encourage her to then start attacking out of fear, and shock to two newcomers. Trying them all out in groups of two in a bath tub or some other small area to see their initial reactions would be helpful after a month of prebonding. If it goes not as well as hoped, I would then do a bit more prebonding. 🙂 I would also probably try to bond them all at once too, for once they are bonded, it could damage that bond to then introduce another bun. 🙂

Again, those two are just adorable!! 😀

• kanin
                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Aren’t they though?!

And I should mention that Nora and Quincy have been living next to each other but separately for 2 years, and I’ve tried bonding them a few times to no avail because Quin is such a little tyrant. Sometimes I wonder if she’d be happier as an only bun with someone else… but I really don’t want to rehome her as I’ve had her for 4 years. 😞

• HipHopBunny
                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Oh, that’s too bad. 🙁 She still has you though, so she isn’t alone! 😉

Fresno and Nora sound like a very promising match, so I’ve got my money on you having an easy bond! 😉 Maybe after their bond is solid, and has been established for a couple of months or so, you could try a bonding session again?

Have you heard of the stunt double? It is a trick I heard in the RABBIT INFO bonding section, maybe it could help to curve Quincy’s temper? 😉

Wishing you luck!

• DanaNM
                                                                                                                                                                                          Moderator

Awww that looks to be going so positively!

It is possible Fresno could be the peace keeper in a trio… but if the girls hate each other it might be better to find her a different mate. Maybe try Fresno with her and see how they are? If she hates him then that’s an easy decision?

I’m struggling with my own trio currently so I don’t have too many words of wisdom on that front. :p

• kanin
                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Nora would love to be friends with Quin, she lays next to her with the grids separating them and sometimes Quincy will lay next to her too, other times she’ll bite her. Nora doesn’t have a mean bone in her body and I’ve been wanting to get her a friend for a while now. I’m so glad Fresno came along and ended up being a little well-behaved gentleman. ❤️

I did let him have a second with Quincy because he was getting curious about her and she bit him right away. I think I will wait until him and Nora have a solid bond and then see if he can in fact be the peacekeeper, or maybe Quin can learn some self-awareness and realize how tiny she is and that she can’t beat up two bigger bunnies at once (or she can… I wouldn’t be surprised.)
                                                                                                                                                                                              Good luck with your trio DanaNM! I know how discouraging it can be. It would just be sooo much more convenient if they would all just get along and stop being little turds.

It wouldn’t hurt to try that stunt double thing, though I don’t think there’s any fooling Quincy. It won’t be as satisfying for her if it’s not running away in fear. 🤣 We’ll see!

• Bu20055
                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                                                                                              246 posts Send Private Message

Oh my Fresno looks like a whole new bun! ❤️ What a cutie pie! Nora and Fresno are adorable together! 🙂

• kanin
                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

Thank you Bu20055! I still get emotional when I look back at his before pictures, and when he lays with his legs stretched out and I can see how much his little feet have healed. I can’t wait to rescue more bunnies in the future. 💕

• kanin
                                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Day 2 and we’re making progress fast y’all! They’ll be squishing up next to each other in no time. Love these non-problematic buns.

• Bam
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Moderator

I just have to say that its so great to get to hear more about Fresni! It’s such wonderful job you’ve done!

• kanin
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Thanks so much Bam!

• DanaNM
                                                                                                                                                                                                        Moderator

That’s wonderful!

• HipHopBunny
                                                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

I just can’t get over how handsome Fresno is, and how floofy Nora looks! <3 <3 😀

• kanin
                                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Yeahh! Super floof!

• HipHopBunny
                                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Oh, what a little FLUFFBALL! 😀 Gah! I have….to…pet…THAT FLOOFY RABBIT! 😆 You need to take a video of you petting her so I can imagine that as my hand stroking her soft, soft fur! 😀 😉

• kanin
                                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

LOL I’ll try to get one HipHopBunny!

Meanwhile… I’m being continuously overwhelmed by the cuteness happening between these two. Fresno occasionally gets on Nora’s nerves by jumping in the litter box while she’s already in there (you’re too big dude, both of y’all don’t fit!) or getting in her face while he’s honking up a storm. He’s QUITE the honker. But overall they’re really loving each other’s company and it melts my gosh dang heart. Now if only Quincy would set aside her perpetual anger towards other buns and become friends with them…

• LBJ10
                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Moderator

Squeeeeeeee!

• DanaNM
                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Moderator

OMG how wonderful! Not only did you give him a lovely home but a lovely bun-wife! <3 <3 <3

And LOL Bun Jovi honks SO much, and he sleeps like that too! Where it looks like he just melts to the side.

• Hazel
                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

They’re so cute together! After how much his life has changed for the better, I’m sure it never even crossed Fresno’s mind to cause trouble during bonding, he appreciates anything and everything he has. He’s one lucky bun. And Nora is just too cute for words! 😀

• Cinnamon Bun
                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                                                                                                                                        205 posts Send Private Message

OMG!

Fresno is adorable, I’m completely stunned for words! And thankyou so much for rescuing him, he definitely deserves a ton of comfort and a loving home. <3

• prince dorian the bun
                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

So happy to see these recent pics!! Look what a handsome bun he has become! & the couple shots with him and Nora! <3 So nice to see him have such a wonderful hapy life after those initial pics.

• Bladesmith
                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                                                                                                                                            849 posts Send Private Message

I’m REALLY late to the party here, but……Thank the powers for you.   Thank you for saving such a sweet little guy. He’s just beautiful, and you’ve done a great job rehabbing him.  He looks amazing!

Also, you said: “Oh I know he’s not neutered, I’m just wondering why he doesn’t display the typical crazy hormonal bunny mannerisms that they tend to have when unfixed.”    It was probably the malnutrition slowing him down.

Has your vet said anything about possible future health issues because of his malnutrition and mistreatment?

• kanin
                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Ahhh thanks for all the nice comments guys! They still kill me with cuteness every single day. Unfortunately Fresno is very mean to Quincy and acts like a completely different bun around her… like almost kind of malicious. It seems a trio bond is completely out of the question much to my dismay.

Bladesmith – Thank you sooo much, he really is such a gorgeous man and I’m lucky to have him in my life. I never thought about the malnutrition being a factor in that but you may be right! Nothing was mentioned about future health issues and so far he’s very healthy and hasn’t had any problems. Fingers crossed for a lifetime of that. 🙂

• kanin
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

So uhhh just a quick update, Fresno went from being a skeleton to being ever so slightly, just a tad bit, super mildly can-hardly-even-notice-please-stop-staring-before-he-gets-self-conscious….. thicc. Yowza.

• Bam
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Moderator

Well, Beach 2021 is still a few months away 😄

This is such a lovely picture! Lucky boy!

• Susanne
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    419 posts Send Private Message

So cute!

• kanin
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

That’s the problem Bam! He doesn’t have any motivation to obtain his summer beach bod because of quarantine. This pandemic is really doing a number on us huh.

• Hazel
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Agree to disagree. His ears look as slim as ever! 😉

• LBJ10
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Moderator

Chubby bunny!

• DanaNM
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Moderator

He’s not fat, he’s just FLUFFY

Viewing 114 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE Fresno the Californian Bun!