Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Fresh Cranberries- do your bunnies like them?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
    • KatnipCrzy
      Participant
      2981 posts Send Private Message

Cranberries are available this time of year and I usually make cranberry bread or other holiday goodies with them…. I offered some to the bunnies and they really like fresh cranberries!  Techincally they are just “fresh craisins’ but with less sugar and nothing else added.  I give Griff, Cotton and Schroeder about 4 a day and they scarf them down.  I think cranberries are considered a fruit but a not naturally high in sugar in fact they are usually pretty tart!

• Monkeybun
        Participant
        10479 posts Send Private Message

I know monkey has had dried cranberries, but I never buy fresh ones, so she’s never had them. I’m not much of a cook, so they’d be wasted in my house lol.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
          Participant
          12067 posts Send Private Message

I was just thinking about trying them and was wondering if they had seeds or anything to take out?

• angelicvampyre
            Participant
            754 posts Send Private Message

My guys are health nuts, no really no rasins hardly touch bunny treats will not even eat carrots, well bugz does but anya turns her noise up at them. Pretty much if it is not green then it’s unhealthy and goes against their exercise and diet plan! Well least I will not have to worry about them being over weight!

• Beka27
              Participant
              16016 posts Send Private Message

I do not like cranberries (my extent of eating cranberries begins and ends at “the stuff in the can” lol…) so I’ve never had them in the house to give to the buns… Maybe if I can find them in bulk, I’ll pick up a dozen to see how they like them, but I have no use for a full bag…

• Sarita
                Participant
                18851 posts Send Private Message

I think I tried once long ago and didn’t get much excitement from the rabbits. I then tried it myself and figured out why – TART :~)

• Beka27
                  Participant
                  16016 posts Send Private Message

LMAO! Yeah… not my thing. I had a “bad” experience with them when I was a little kid. My mom bought a whole bunch of fresh cranberries and then proceeded to put them in just about EVERYTHING we ate for the entire week! Ugh…

• Karla
                    Participant
                    1624 posts Send Private Message

In my household 2/3 of the bunnies go absolutely crazy when served fresh cranberries, and the final 1/3 just really likes it, but is not as eager to get to them as the two others And they are filled with good stuff: loads of vitamines and antioxidants!

I bought them to make smoothies for my boyfriend and I, but they didn’t exactely taste very well, I would say…

• lwayne
                      Participant
                      428 posts Send Private Message

Arduina really likes them, but I have to cut/bite them open for her, otherwise she’ll ignore it. She only got them around T-day, I don’t buy them often. They do freeze well though. I figure cranberries are better than craisins since there is no added sugar.

• KatnipCrzy
                        Participant
                        2981 posts Send Private Message

I plan on buying some bags and freezing them since they are seasonal- but was really planning to use the frozen ones for recipes- I have a favorite recipe from childhood called “Cranberry Orange Nut Bread”- it is a quick bread (no yeast) and frozen cranberries can be used.

I have never offered my bunnies frozen ANYTHING- it just seems too odd to me.  I am so stuck in the mindset i guess that they eat fresh and dried things (hay, craisins), etc- that  I can’t get used to the idea of offering a frozen cranberry or blueberry so I know other members so.  I thought freezing destroyed some of the nutrition (of course cooking usually does too- so the heat  from drying could also have that affect I suppose).

There are little tiny seeds in a cranberrry- but mu bunnies eat the seeds too- unlike the parrots who do not seem capable of eating a whole cranberry.

A bag is pretty cheap and last for a few weeks in the fridge usually- so going thru about 4 a day for 3 bunnies- it adds up pretty quick- plus the occasional offering to the parrots,

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                          Participant
                          12067 posts Send Private Message

I believe the concensus is freezing is better then fresh in most cases these days as the food is frozen as soon as it’s picked-rather then shipped thousands of miles I know living in Ontario where everything was fresh-and now here-our frozen produce is 100 fold better then regular -our summer produce looks like Ontario’s winter :p
                            http://www.healthcastle.com/veggies_fresh_frozen.shtml

I keep bags of those ‘Europe’s best’ frozen fruit and offer as treats-as well as put them in smoothies-umn-for me . More so in summer-but I do give frozen fruit all year Rupert would like to say he hates frozen raspberries though :p
                            Also I freeze my own sometimes-Papaya is huge so I stripped it down and froze it and had papaya treats for ages

• angelicvampyre
                            Participant
                            754 posts Send Private Message

I know with the birds they LOVE frozen more so then the fresh. I put frozen berries in my parrots water and they love them on hot days.

• BinkyBunny
                              8776 posts Send Private Message

Posted By Kokaneeandkahlua on 12/28/2009 02:38 AM
                                I believe the concensus is freezing is better then fresh in most cases these days as the food is frozen as soon as it’s picked-rather then shipped thousands of miles I know living in Ontario where everything was fresh-and now here-our frozen produce is 100 fold better then regular -our summer produce looks like Ontario’s winter :p
                                http://www.healthcastle.com/veggies_fresh_frozen.shtml 

That actually makes sense for many places that don’t have access to fresh local fruit and veggies!  I never thought of that so much because I am rather lucky to have local fresh choices nearby all year round, but when I go to visit my folks in Tennessee,  and I go shopping at their local store, the veggies and fruit look so…ulch!  (especially in the winter months)  The oranges have shrunk,  the broccoli is not firm, and the strawberries sort of wilty on edges – the list of ick can go on.  I know we are talking food for bunnies mostly in this thread, but this is good to know for humans too – next time I am at my folks house and I am grocery shopping for  things I can make them, I will check the frozen section from now on for some things.

• bunnytowne
                                Participant
                                7537 posts Send Private Message

I had  bags of frozen cranberries and made smoothies with them blueberries and bananas.   My buns love and I mean love cranberries blueberries and bananas.  

I had best get my hand out of the way ASAP after putting some out for Cotton he litterally fell all over himself tripping over my hand to get to them.   He actually jumped from his shelf and fell on my hand as well to get to them as quickly as possible. 

Tripping and falling didn’t faze him he got right back up and zeroed in on his dish.  He has a one track mind when it comes to berries and such.   Get there as fast as possible.  No matter what

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Fresh Cranberries- do your bunnies like them?