Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE Free spay and neuter- things to keep in mind

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • KatnipCrzy
      Participant
      2981 posts Send Private Message

Some food for thought….

I think it is great that alot of Humane Societies and other organizations provide free or low cost spay and neuter programs.  This is definintely a wonderful thing that is needed in the world of people not taking responsibility for their pets.

BUT- the goal first and foremost is that your pet does not reproduce.  And for a pet where this is the only way that a spay or neuter is going to happen- then great.

Low Cost/Free spay neuter programs need to have as many expenses cut as possible in order to provide as many spays and neuters as possible.  So pets do not get bloodwork, typically they do get a pain injection at time of surgery- but most do not send any home with the patient.  An IV cath and fluids in case of an emergency and to help flush the anesthesia from the pets system does not happen.  They may or may not have oxygen % and pulse monitored during surgery- depends on if they have the costly machine.

They treat no other problem other than to spay or neuter your pet.  In all too many cases they are lucky if the person even shows for the appt they scheduled- so they proceed with surgery unless it is terribly clear the pet will not survive.  A pet that would benefit from having a dental infection or respiratory infection cleared before having surgery- has surgery anyway. 

Most of the cats and dogs that come in have not had adequate veterinary care- vaccines, etc.  Consider that with the high volume of spays and neuters that are done…..  There are alot of unvaccinated animals exposed to other unvaccinated animals.

I am not saying this to deter ANYONE from getting their pet spayed or neutered.  I worked at a Humane Society for about 3 years and personally had to euthanize hundred of animals- so I strongly diapprove of irresponsible breeding.

When you “buy” a rabbit spay for $300 at your local vet- you aren’t just getting your rabbit fixed.  If you have done your research and have chosen a rabbit saavy vet- you are also buying the best chance at survival and a comfortable recovery for your bunny.  And in some instances- there are only so many surgery opportunites available- and if you can afford a regular vet- another pet that has an owner that can not may not get scheduled.

This is my experince with low cost/ free clinics and their budget constraints vs a good bunny vet.  And I live in a colder climate (Michigan)- so I would expect there are other areas of the country that have different problems with rabbit/cat/dog overpopulations.  And of course all programs are not run the same- so do your research- just like you would research you vet.  (I am going to start another post on that).

I would never post this on a general forum where I thought uneducated pet owners might read this and decide not to “take ol Duke in for the big snip” due to the risks associated because “he is a purty good dog when he doesn’t slip off his chain.”  Every post I have read on this forum indicates a much higher level of pet ownership- and just the fact that they are on a bunny forum indicates a great potential to be able to serve our bunnies to their utmost satisfaction- and thus warding off the dreaded “disapproval”.  http://www.disapprovingrabbits.com/

Julie

• JK
        Participant
        2223 posts Send Private Message

Everything you say makes a lot of sense but I will bet you that most of the rescues do not have the funds to do bloodwork and do complete health checkups etc. prior to a spay/neuter. They can’t possibly give a general health exam to all the rabbits they take in. Of course many take injured and sick rabbits and provide health care for them but not for all the others that “appear” healthy. I adopted my bun from a fantastic rescue – they had him neutered – and days after I got him I had already spent hundreds of dollars trying to figure out why he was drinking so much water. None of his issues were even discovered at the rescue. So many of us adopt from rescues here and take a gamble as we don’t know what the health issues are until much later. I guess what I am trying to say is I would hate for someone not to spay/neuter for $$ reasons when there are good options out there. But you have to use good sense and ask questions.

• Beka27
          Participant
          16016 posts Send Private Message

well written katnip!  excellent points i hadn’t thought of.  it’s wonderful that the options are available for people who can’t afford a regular vet.  it makes sense that you may not get as thorough care, but it’s better than letting your animal reproduce indiscriminately.  this is obviously more of an issue with dogs and cats who are outside, not so much a single indoor cat or indoor bunny. 

wouldn’t it be great if people could be charged with cruelty (or something like it… neglect?) for having an unaltered pet?  give people a warning that within the next 3-5 years, they will start prosecuting for not doing that.  that gives owners 3-5 years to save the money and get the surgery… or decide not to have any pets.  animals could be automatically microchipped to the owners upon receiving them, so there’s no problem 5 years down the road… “no, that stray dog isn’t mine.  i’m not responsible!”  *scan*  “uh… yes he is yours, sir.  the microchip says so.”

*sigh*  i used to fantasize about being a princess when i was a little girl… now i fantasize about stricter animal cruelty laws…

• Sarita
            Participant
            18851 posts Send Private Message

That’s great information Katnip. We don’t have any low cost spay/neuter for rabbits in my area but the vet that the rescue that I help with is extremely cost effective and does all of our rabbits spays and neuters and we recommend her. I have heard of some botched up spays and neuters on rabbits and guinea pigs that were rescued or adopted from our local SPCA – I’m thinking vet techs do these surgeries there.

I have always agreed with “If you can’t afford the vet, you can’t afford the pet”.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE Free spay and neuter- things to keep in mind