Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING free roam bun future bonding questions

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • prince dorian the bun
      Participant
      743 posts Send Private Message

I didn’t add the form as I am currently just doing preliminary research, but if it helps I can add it. I want to do speed dating, but right now my options are very limited, so this for future.

Some back ground: Dorian is a neutered, just over a year old bun, he is a free roam house bun. He does have his own room, which he spends the night in and when we are gone for more than just a couple hours, but otherwise he has run of the house, exception is bedrooms which he does visit, but are not 100% rabbit safe, so he needs to be supervised.

My question: For those who have bonded a free roam bun how did you do it? Especially if there is no neutral territory?

• HipHopBunny
        Participant
        640 posts Send Private Message

Hmm, do you have a friend who would allow you to take Dorian over and try neutral territory there? Or could you just not allow him in your room so that could be neutral? Sorry if this isn’t a satisfying answer. <3

• tobyluv
          Participant
          3310 posts Send Private Message

I have had good luck bonding rabbits using an x-pen.  Even if the pen is in a room that  one of the rabbits has been in before, it can become its own little neutral space.  You can place a sheet, blanket or large towels on the floor to mask any scents already on it.  You could even hang some blankets on the side of the x-pen to take away the sight of known furniture or items in the room, although I have never done that.  My husband and I get inside the x-pen with the rabbits, just in case there is any fighting (which we’ve never had) or any excessive humping (also never had).  We start with about 10  minutes the first day and increase the time each day, until we can see that the bunnies are fine together.

• DanaNM
            8935 posts Send Private Message

I think a combo of what tobyluv suggests, and maybe designating a room now that he is no longer allowed in might be a good idea. Give enough time, that room should become mostly neutral eventually.

Kitchens and bathrooms can work well because the floor can be wiped down to neutralize smells easily (and cleaning up is easier!).

Bathtubs are also popular when neutral space is at a premium!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• prince dorian the bun
              Participant

Thanks everyone!

Not sure the friend idea will work for several reasons. Cats being a big one. But you did make me think more creatively and I could maybe use the storage room in the basement. I’d have to check with my neighbors as we share the space and their washer/drier are down there. Also the other bathroom would maybe work for bonding, he has only really gone in there once as he doesn’t like slippy floors.

what do you do to keep them apart during non-bonding sessions and yet let them both have free-space? I am not sure how Dorian would adjust to having to be in his room, he tends to eat when we do, watch netflix or youtube with us, flop under shares if I am working and basically be a little bunny shadow most of the day. He also hangs out in the kitchen while I cook, he likes to sit on or next to my foot.

I could maybe set up my room with an x-pen for the other bun, it wouldn’t be a lot of space. Maybe could manage 4×4. I am not sure about their play time though, Dorian does go just chill in his room during certain periods, so could let them out then. Is it okay if they are in his territory though?

I am probably overthinking this all! Just like to be prepared.

• Louiethebunny
                Participant
                603 posts Send Private Message

Louie was free roam before he started bed peeing 🙄 and my plan was to have a two-layer xpen situation, an xpen for the bun and then a second one surrounding it to provide a little bit of buffer space.

• DanaNM
                  8935 posts Send Private Message

X-pens or other temporary housing are usually necessary for bonding. I like to make mini-NIC cube condos for during bonding, then I can reconfigure them into one larger one once everyone is bonded. Dorian will probably be grumpy about it, but it’s only temporary! You also might end up with a new bunny that is not as ideal for free-roam, or everyone’s litter box habits can go out the window temporarily, so it’s good to have enclosures for both buns in case you need to pen them sometimes.

You can either give each bun alternate roam time while the other is penned, or divide up the space so they can roam at the same time. You’ll just want to use a doubled up x-pen to make the barrier, so there is a buffer of space in between to prevent nose nipping.

And yes, you actually want the new bun to be able to roam in his territory (as long as Dorian isn’t in it at the time!). With pre-bonding, you typically swap sides to accomplish this, so the buns kind of lose track of who’s territory is who’s.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• prince dorian the bun
                    Participant

Okay, that gives me more to think about. Thanks!

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING free roam bun future bonding questions