Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Free choice pellets or measured?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • my baby max
      Participant
      11 posts Send Private Message

I need to buy my 7 month old rabbit timothy hay pellets and I’m confused whether to buy free-choice pellets or measured pellets? I heard free-choice is for babies and once they reach the age of 6 months they need to switch to measured. Is that right? I’ve also heard that measured is kind of useless for a reason I don’t remember. My brother is telling me to buy free-choice because they’re not concentrated and you don’t have to measure all the time. So, you can imagine how my brain is all over the place with this information.

i’ll also be buying the Sherwood Pet Health pellets, but I see the measured is more popular. Any tips?

• Wick & Fable
        5781 posts Send Private Message

As mentioned in the BB diet overview (https://binkybunny.com/infocategory/healthy-diet/), transitioning to limited daily Timothy pellet serving is recommended for rabbits older than 6mo.

If I’m understanding correctly, you are looking at pellets that are advertised as free fed for serving. I and many others caution against that because for many rabbits, this can lead them to only eat pellets and neglect hay, which is the most important part of a rabbit’s diet.

Please see here for information on distinguishing good vs. not good pellets: https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Pellets

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• my baby max
            Participant

Thank you for the response. The reason I want to free feed him pellets is because I’ve read that if you accidentally overfeed measured pellets the rabbit can die.

• LBJ10
            16908 posts Send Private Message

Some rabbits can be free-fed and there are pellets (like Sherwood) that are designed for that. However, this doesn’t work for a lot of bunnies. As Wick said, it can lead to not eating enough hay. So the answer really is… it depends. If your bunny is able to have the free-fed type pellets and still eats plenty of hay, then I don’t see any harm in it. But if they neglect to eat enough hay, then they should probably get the kind of pellets that are measured and the amount reduced to encourage more hay eating.

• my baby max
                Participant

I appreciate the response! For some reason, he’s already not eating enough timothy hay (prefers alfalfa hay). I’ve also heard that measured can kill a rabbit if accidentally overfed.

• Wick & Fable
                  5781 posts Send Private Message

It is important to consider the consequences of our actions, and I recommend reading information with such direct, extreme consequences with caution, as they often are oversimplifying or simply not based on fact. Yes, there can be negative consequences to your rabbit’s health when not offering an appropriate amount of measured pellets, but that consequence is the same for any decision a rabbit owner makes which is not educated/well-informed, spanning lifestyle, environment, in addition to diet choices.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• DanaNM
                  8935 posts Send Private Message

I’m not sure where you heard that overfeeding measured pellets would kill a rabbit, but I’ve never heard that before. The concern with overfeeding pellets is that the rabbit will become overweight and not eat enough hay, not some sort of poisoning effect.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Cinnimon&Ollie
                    Participant
                    300 posts Send Private Message

I am pretty sure that overfeeding pellets can’t kill them only make them overweight, and not eat hay as DanaNM said. I think that measured feeding is the way to go because they won’t become overweight, and there is a much better chance that they will eat their hay more. I had one of my bunnies since she was 2 months old and never free fed here, she is very healthy and never had any problems like poisoning, or dental, or pretty much anything. Of course, it is your choice but measured feeding can’t kill them by overfeeding them.

• LBJ10
                      16908 posts Send Private Message

Yeah, I’ve never heard that either.

• Bam
                        16877 posts Send Private Message

If the bun gets into a bag of measured- type pellets and pigs out completely, it could kill the rabbit, same as getting into a bag of kibble could kill a dog.

But if you measure up measured-type pellets the risk is more about long term health. The bun will get fat if the portion size contains more calories than the bun spends. The bun might lose interest in hay if it fills up on pellets, which can cause both dental and GI problems. GI problems can evolve into GI stasis or obstruction, which might be fatal.

Grass hay should always be the main food for a bun.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Free choice pellets or measured?