Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Food dehydrator/ bunny treats?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • KatnipCrzy
      Participant
      2981 posts Send Private Message

My husband and I just bought a food dehydrator to make healthier treats for ourselves- apple chips, fruit roll ups, etc.  Plus we also want to try to make some jerky.

Has anyone here used a dehydrator to make bunny treats?  I know it draws the water out but leaves sugars- so natural high sugar items should still be treated as such- grapes, etc.

Just wondering if people have made anything.  I plan on doing some stuff for my parrots too- but they have alot more veggies and fruit in their diet than bunnies do.

Julie

• Toki+Pumpkin+Elmo
        Participant
        319 posts Send Private Message

I’ve been wondering about this too. My assumption is that you could probably use it to dehydrate fruits and veggies. But on the other hand, why feed dry ones when you can feed fresh. I don’t know what else you could dry for bunnies. Let me know how it goes.

• JK
          Participant
          2223 posts Send Private Message

I would definitely stick with fresh greens, fruits and vegetables…

• Scarlet_Rose
            Participant
            4293 posts Send Private Message

Fresh is best and as back up I have dried on hand. As a side note, have you tried those “Green Bags”? I just picked sopme up and I am really impressed!

• kittsbuns
              Participant
              196 posts Send Private Message

I just started using mine. I’ve done apples and banana’s they turned out ok and the bunny’s love them. I was buying Just Fruit at the health food store. This is so much cheaper.

• Toki+Pumpkin+Elmo
                Participant

I guess it really does work!! I’m going to start shopping for a dehydrator myself. Have you tried any other fruits yet?

• KatnipCrzy
                  Participant
                  2981 posts Send Private Message

I have only done apples so far- and I did not share them with my bunny yet-as she had not been introduced to fruits at all yet.  She is reluctant to try fresh greens and until  I can get her to eat that- no fruit.

I have been happy with our dehydrator- I loved the apple chips that I made- just sliced apples dipped in a water/Fruit Fresh prep.  They are so much easier to eat than an apple at work.  I work at a vet clinic and it does not bother me to have a dish of apple chips- but it is hard to eat an apple- because I hate to set it down, it is kinda messy, and is not very discrete.  Where I can snack on apple chips discretely and I don’t feel I have to throw them out if I “set them down”.  I wash my hands a million times at work.

Julie

• Gravehearted
                    Participant
                    2428 posts Send Private Message

some of our volunteers make wonderful bunny treats with their dehydrator.
                      Some favorites are slices of: carrots, pineapple, banana, strawberry, apple – they’re nice to have around as a treat and the bunnies love them.

• Toki+Pumpkin+Elmo
                      Participant

After having bunnies for few years now, I feel like I’m eating rabbit food rather than a human food whenever I eat stuff like this. It almost feels like I shouldn’t be eating it.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Food dehydrator/ bunny treats?